1988 Whitfield Advantage 2-- NEED HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiseguy6285

Nov 11, 2014
CT
Hello everyone, this is my first time ever posting on a forum... ever. I picked up a used Whitfield pellet stove that has a few resistors fried on the circuit board. Anyone who has the same stove that can take a picture of the resistors so I can see the values... only 2 of the resistors are unidentifiable because they are burned so badly. I ohmed the remaining resistors to find their corresponding values which are good, however I get nothing from the burnt resistors. I know someone out there has this stove with original control board and all I need is a high quality picture so I can fix this thing! Attached is a picture of the resistors I need. Thanks in advance. Dan IMG952014111095224328.jpg

Take a picture of front. Whit used a common board for years. Have a quest and a profile

Hello, Dan welcome to the forum. Your control board and pcb are similar to what we see here, right?
advantageII_blackfaced_2525.jpg

If we rotate it and zoom in a little we should be able to determine the resistor values:
advantageII_1989-1990 W2 blackfaced_2525udsnit'.jpg

Starting from left to right, I read these values of the seven resistors:

1: White,brown,yellow,gold = 910K ohm 5%
2: Brown,black,green,gold = 1 Mohm 5%
3: Yellow.violet,orange,gold = 47K ohm 5%
4: Green,brown,brown,gold = 510 ohm 5%
5: Brown,black,yellow,gold = 100K ohm 5%
6: Red, red, green,gold = 2.2 Mohm 5%
7: Brown,black,red,gold = 1K ohm 5%

All resistors are 5% tolerance. Five of them are from the E12 series and two ( 510 ohm and 910K ohm ) are from the E24 series.

Hello, Dan welcome to the forum. Your control board and pcb are similar to what we see here, right?
View attachment 143962

If we rotate it and zoom in a little we should be able to determine the resistor values:
View attachment 143963

Starting from left to right, I read these values of the seven resistors:

1: White,brown,yellow,gold = 910K ohm 5%
2: Brown,black,green,gold = 1 Mohm 5%
3: Yellow.violet,orange,gold = 47K ohm 5%
4: Green,brown,brown,gold = 510 ohm 5%
5: Brown,black,yellow,gold = 100K ohm 5%
6: Red, red, green,gold = 2.2 Mohm 5%
7: Brown,black,red,gold = 1K ohm 5%

All resistors are 5% tolerance. Five of them are from the E12 series and two ( 510 ohm and 910K ohm ) are from the E24 series.

Thank you so much for helping with this. I could not figure out the value of the burned one. I can't thank you enough. Any idea where I can get a pententiometer for the blower speed? Lol...am I pushing my luck here? Someone did a number on this board and tried to pull the face off while still attached to the board. Tried to cross reference one on mouser electronics but not sure if it will mount the same as original. Thanks so much in advance.

Way to go Stovensen. Now hopefully I will remember your from Denmark not Norway

The picture we are using to determine the burnt resistor on your pcb is quite pixellated... I'm in doubt about the multiplier ring. The two red rings, however, are clearly readable as red.
But you know, a resistor with a 2.2 megaohm resistance is a rather high value and such a high resistance is unlikely to draw enough current to burn the way it is on your pcb.
Dan, if you have a quality ohmmeter, then I suggest that you VERY gently unsolder one of the legs of the burnt resistor in order to get a correct reading ( something in parallel will disturb the reading ). I have had great success with this method several times in troubleshooting power amps. These resistors appear to be common carbon layer types, and carbon is a very heat resistant material. The most fragile area, however, are where the metal terminals are press-fitted on each end, so be very careful. The resistor is more likely 220 ohm ( red,red,brown ). Yes, the third ring does look more brown than green from here. Don't you think?
As for the potmeter... is it totally wrecked? Rotary pots can sometimes be repaired with the right tools. Can you take a photo of it and post in here?

Last edited:
Reactions: 371xp
You can replace the resistor but, generally burnt resistors point to other failures in the circuit. You need to find out where those resistors sit in the overall circuit diagram. I also agree with the 220 ohm determination.

Reactions: 371xp
Way to go Stovensen. Now hopefully I will remember your from Denmark not Norway

LOL, well I quess from over there it's hard to tell the difference. Actually Norway and Denmark were in a union for more than 400 years. From 1380 until 1814.

Here's a map of the Union in 1780. North of Scotland you can see a small group of islands.. the Faroe Islands. These are still a part of Denmark together with Greenland. But Iceland voted in favour of autonomy in 1944.
Also, in 1780 the southern part of Jutland bordering Germany was as far south as Hamburg, but we lost it after several wars against Germany.
800px-Denmark-Norway_in_1780_svg.png

Status
Not open for further replies.