1988 Whitfield Advantage II Control Panel s/n#: 10553

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

371xp

Dec 30, 2020
Arlington WA
I've been on the board, in the threads, swimming with dolphins whispering imaginary numbers trying to find a control board for what I posted in the title.

I'm pretty frazzled folks, thought I bought the right board and it turned out to be some kind of Russian phishing scam. Fun.

So I want this to be clear and concise and no deviations or turn into storytime.

I would like help either building a new board or sourcing one. Yes I know they make that fancy new one that you gotta dink around with stuff to make it work for my model. Really don't want to do that. I don't mind repinning connectors, so if you want to post a diagram that would be cool.

But if you want to post a clear concise or even a link to one of the threads that states what to do that by all means to the folks that come looking for answers after me, please do.

I've seen the places all around North America that rebuild them for x amount of money and have great deals. Probably not going to do that.

I like to build things so if I can get help building one of these boards, at least sourcing the items for it that would be great. And if I can do it for cheaper than infinity billion dollars that would be great, I would even put myself out there to build some for other people. ( If it fits in the certain range of the make and model of my stove, why not! )

I'll let you know what happens.

20201015_114417_compress76.jpg

Do you have your original board? Is it like this one?
69472E7E-2EF8-482C-A319-1648E09688C8.jpeg

well that is an advantage II and it is an analog board and there are zero schematics for the boards out there. oem's outsource the boards and data,spec's and programming are non existent. you could reverse engineer it and build one or replace what is bad in yours. what does or doesn't yours do?

Some of that insulation got sucked into the blower fan, now it doesn't do anything.
The thin blue and red wires shows some heat damage.

Woke up in the morning to check and make sure there was enough pellets in the stove. No fire no fans no nothing. It was on a power strip, I bump the reset switch and I heard a little pop. So it's not doing anything now.

Check the fan that still works, going to meter everything tomorrow and make sure there's conductivity.

I have a suspicion that it is the relay on it.

they used triacs also.. can you post a pic of the back side of the board

Well i was kinda looking to see if anything on yours showed any signs of failure. Time for the dmm and a couple hours to test all the components. No need to build a board just fix that one

Yup, I've got a relay on order. I managed to find another board I plugged it in wires were getting hot and smoking, I am plugged it immediately.

I got the manuals from another thread on here I'm trying to read everything I can possibly find.

I don't know man, I bumped the stupid reset button on there I heard a pop oh, nothing turns on with the old board. I'm too damn scared to try the new board again, may have fried the relay on that one too.

I'll get my multimeter and check some stuff out tomorrow but I'm too tired and too frazzled tonight.

If one of the motor windings is shorted it will draw excess current from the board thus allowing the magic smoke out of components. Take an old lamp cord or extension to test the motors and plug ea one into the wall outlet.Using the test cord is the safest way and saves the board. What wires got hot wirh the new board?

Reactions: 371xp
Sometimes you just have to check and make sure that the high temperature sensor doesn't this Bond from its metal cradle that goes into the exhaust manifold, and make sure it hasn't fuse to a grounded area.

I feel like The Village Idiot.

I have an extra control board that I managed to purchase from a $50 from an old Whitfield pellet stove field maintenance technician!

Here when I get back from running an errand I'm going to post some pictures the backside of my to boards so that folks have an idea what needs what and what goes where.

So one of the overtemp wires hit a ground when it fell? Or low limt/proof of fire? Yes tough lesson learned. So your second board (as long as it’s still good) should get you up and running.

Here are some pictures of the front and back of both of my control boards.
Advantage II from 1988

Attachments

• 20210103_132306_resize_12.jpg
    20210103_132306_resize_12.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 20210103_131405_resize_27.jpg
    20210103_131405_resize_27.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 111
Here are some pictures of the front and back of both of my control boards.
Advantage II from 1988
Here are a few more.

Attachments

• 20210103_131346_resize_39.jpg
    20210103_131346_resize_39.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 20210103_131322_resize_27.jpg
    20210103_131322_resize_27.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20210103_132352_resize_52.jpg
    20210103_132352_resize_52.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 115