1991 Avalon FS makeover...suggested tips welcome

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Suggestions on a makeover?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zrtmatos

Feeling the Heat
Nov 26, 2012
Connecticut
I am helping a neighbor with a pellet stove he purchased used; an Avalon 900 PS built in 1992-3. It was not used for two years and sitting in someone's garage. It was demo'ed outside, lights up well and throws heat; has surface rust on top and the lip and needs a good makeover. The inside has rust speckled all over the sides and the firebrick has a hairline crack in it. Otherwise looks good mechanically.
Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to remove rust easliy other than use a grinding bit with a dremel or a drill? Are there any other tips in ensuring the thing will come back to life after careful repainting and polishing? I have already vacuumed it out and repaired a spot where the silicone had worn in the pellet bin and was leaking into the back of the stove. It has brass accents on the door, solid brass? and on the legs; any good brass cleaners that anyone can vouch for?
I am looking for some ideas and will post before and after pics. Here's a sample of what it looks like now (not actual stove). Thanks.

Avalon 900 ps.png

Surface rust on the outside can be removed by light sanding with 320 sandpaper, then cleaned and re-sprayed with Hi heat Rust O Leum (satin or flat, depending on the look you want....I prefer the satin).....available at Wally Mart.

The interior rust will go away after the stove has run for a while, but if you want to really do it up nice, same sanding or wire brushing and hi heat spray paint (flat).

As for the brass, any good brass cleaner will work...Brasso is what I use. Have plenty of old rags and use blue nitrile gloves.

BTW, if the stove is still easily moved outdoors, use compressed air to blow the interior out (open /remove any ash trap doors), plus remove the "brick" and bang on the rear steel surfaces to dislodge any crud. A good leaf blower treatment after all of that will help too.

Thanks Imacman. The compressed air tip is one I had not thought of. Sure beats using this

Attachments

• no-compressed-air.jpg
    no-compressed-air.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 129
Here's the finished pics of the restore of the Avalon 900. I am burning it outside to get the paint smell out of it.

From this Avalon 900 ps before.png to this Avalon 900 PS refinished w me.jpg :cool: Avalon 900 PS refinished.jpg :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.