1993 170 Gallon Central Boiler Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micifus

Aug 8, 2008
Upstate NY
Hi Everyone this is my first post as you can see and thanks ahead of time for all the help.

I am looking to purchase a boiler it is a 1993 170 Gallon Central Boiler as the title says. It looks to be in good shape aside from a leak near the rear of the fire box that the owner tired to repair by tac welding some angle iron to. I don think it has been used for a few years and they have not set a price and have just said make me an offer. It does not come with a circulator or any piping there is 120V hook up I assume for the lighting and a fan?

My question is what would be a good price to offer them? Also what should I be looking out for in the way of damage? Can I easily fix that leak with a proper welding job? Is this a good unit that should last many more years? I guess my biggest worry is the condtion on the inside of the boiler, if it is badly rusted is it not worth it? and is there any way to know?

Sorry I know alot of questions thanks again!

here in Michigan the price for tin and unprepared scrap is $250 a ton. You are talking a 15 yearold boiler that leaks. Most boilers that are leaking are ready to leak in other places.
leaddog

micifus said:
so no real way to fix a leaking boiler? or preserve it for future leaks?

Yes you can have a "patch" welded over the leaking area. As far as to preserve the unit, Keep water in it with the correct amount of treatment.

I would give $300-500 for the unit. You only need to get one year out of it to make it worth it.

Personally I'd stay clear of the deal. It will most likely fail again and the failue is sure to occur at the worst possible time. Do you want to hook up a new boiler in January?

Well I am not to worried I can always fall back on my oil heat. I am more interested in getting the infastructure in and testing it out. This seems to start becoming a hobby rather then a way to save on heating cost lol.

Does anyone have a link to a article that can really school me on outdoor wood boilers from the boiler to the piping to the exchanger and hooking it up to a oil furnace.

I think I am going to offer him $500. Would that be insulting? Its 3/8th inch thick steel, I think the leak is on a seam. It can be welded right? I am not buying a 1500lb of scrap metal am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.