1994 Lopi Answer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Roly

Dec 12, 2022
Puget Sound
Greetings..Just joined

I wish to pose a question regarding my older Lopi, which is not quite old enough to go in the Classic forum.
Bought this Answer new in 1995, and rebuilt it with tubes and bricks some years ago.
The air hole and slide at the front is obvious, butI realized that don't know where the supply air enters the firebox on the inside. I think it needs the airway cleaned out.

I cannot fine a construction diagram anywhere online and cannot see, on the actual stove, how the air is distributed inside.
Does anyone have a drawing showing the air system? Or old knowledge?

Thanks, Roly

The air enters the Answer via the rectangular tube that surrounds the air control. You can gain a little more access by opening up the outside air control hatch on the underside of the stove. I am not sure if this was in the original Answer, but it was by 2000. Take a mirror or flip it over and look for a removable panel where the outside air connection is made. Take off the panel to expose the air duct.

What are the symptoms that prompted this? Often air control reports end up finding something else wrong. Usually with the flue system or the firewood.

The air enters the Answer via the rectangular tube that surrounds the air control. You can gain a little more access by opening up the outside air control hatch on the underside of the stove. I am not sure if this was in the original Answer, but it was by 2000. Take a mirror or flip it over and look for a removable panel where the outside air connection is made. Take off the panel to expose the air duct.

What are the symptoms that prompted this? Often air control reports end up finding something else wrong. Usually with the flue system or the firewood.
Bergreen,
I see the rectangular knockout under there for outside air. I don't have a great enough need to pop it open, then engineer how fix it shut again. The stove works per design already. I am curious about the air entry because my experience with Vermont Castings Aspen is that clearing its "nostrils" ( just inside the door threshold) makes the stove happily burn. If I could see where the air enters the Answer fire box, I could assure the best burn.

My chimney and cap are clean and good. I keep an eye on creosote build-up because I use dry wood, but not ideal hardwood. I have been burning Alder, Fir, and even some Cedar; not like the nice Valley Oak in Northern California. I have successfully operated various wood stoves since the early 1960's, and am interested in their design and manufacture.

Thanks for the response, Roly