1996 rsf opel 2000c

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dakotarnk

Aug 30, 2007
I have a 1996 RSF Opel 2000c, I have a problem with control on the fire. I have had the fire uncontrollable a couple of times. I have checked the gaskets in the doors and they look new, I tried the paper test when the doors are closed and the paper is very tight but can be pulled out. How does the Bi Metallic damper work, Does that ever go bad, Shouldnt I also be able to shut it down even if the coil is bad? I have 14 ft of 8 inch class A chimeny hooked to this. I have just put this fireplace in in the last month, I bought it used and it looks to be in very good shape with little use. I do know it has sat for sometime without being used. WHat can you tell me about the opel 2000c, Was that a good fireplace or were they troublesome? Thanks for all your help.

If the Opal is anything like the Onyx, the control lever moves the bi-metallic spring and the other end of the spring moves the butterfly. Do you have access to the butterfly to see how it moves? The first RSF I had in my former home had a propensity to run away due to too large a notch in the butterfly, too much draft, and the OAK supercharging it. Back then the dealer suggested replacing the butterfly with one that had a smaller notch but I sold the place before that happened. I heard that some people will slip in by the gasket, a piece of sheet metal to block off some of the notch.

I think the second RSF I bought in '98 has a smaller notch. I have much less chimney this time so not as much draft and it doesn't run away like the first one did.

The air for the air wash gets preheated along with the secondary combustion air but on a cold start, it is well... cold. If you are drawing outside air, the glass can get downright frosty. I added a positive shutoff to my OAK.

Try to kindle a smaller start-up fire that is further back from the glass and leave the door slightly ajar for a couple of minutes for the radiant heat to warm the glass. A top down fire may help.

I think I may have figured it out, I readjusted the doors on it and that seemed to help, I noticed that the airwash is even trying to work. I am anxious to get the damper hooked to a thermostat and run it that way, what I have read about that system is pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.