1998 Hearthstone Mansfield - free to good home: my mother-in-law's!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cath

Feeling the Heat
Jul 31, 2007
Hello,

Our 1998 Hearthstone Mansfield has been re-homed!! I am optimistic that she will now receive the care and attention she deserves. In return my mother-in-law will receive all the radiant warmth she can handle. And we'll be able to visit!!

Some of you may remember my post about a year ago, regarding the used 1998 Hearthstone Mansfield we bought about eight years ago. Here are links to my two earlier posts regarding this stove.

1998 Hearthstone Mansfield: reasonable price?
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/1998-hearthstone-mansfield-reasonable-price.135564/#post-1819608

1998 Hearthstone Mansfield
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/1998-hearthstone-mansfield.25295/

It's been sitting in my dining room since then. We'd offered it to my mother-in-law before but she didn't want to learn how to "run" something "new". However, her 1970's metal beast of a wood stove has been smoking for awhile and is likely a carbon monoxide hazard so my husband moved the Mansfield to her house and moved her stove out.

And, yes, he largely moved both of them himself. He did try to put our two girls to work. He had them hanging on a rope while I was making dinner one night until I realized they were missing and I replaced them; and I did call my brother to help when it was half way on the truck because the board he was using broke; but other than that he did virtually all of the work: loading and unloading.

Anyhow, there is an existing hearth at my mother-in-law's house and we'll be taking measurements to ensure proper clearances.

I do have the online manual and I will be looking up the requirements in Massachusetts, but if anyone happens to be aware of any more restrictive requirements in Mass compared to the Hearthstone guidelines please let me know. Also, do I need to worry about any special requirements in my town? If anyone is aware of any helpful resources I'd appreciate any links.

I'd also appreciate any tips on how to safely save money on any materials, for instance double walled pipe. I think my husband said he's having trouble finding an elbow / corner piece.

Thanks so much.

Cath

What will be important for safety is that all clearances and hearth requirements are met or exceeded. For happy burning she must have a good supply of fully seasoned, split wood. The Mansfield will be more particular about burning dry wood than an old smoke dragon.

In order to help hubby we need to know more specifics about the stove, the stove pipe brand and what he is looking for. What is the existing chimney and what condition is it in?

Status
Not open for further replies.