1st 24 hour burn!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
So the first 24 hour burn is underway - we had temps overnite in 30's and its spitting snow now - not supposed to get over 45 the next 24 hours or so. It will get warm again but its coming. Thats weather in the high elevations of WV

Wow - that's an early 24 hour burn for WV, right? Where abouts in WV are you? I worked the past couple summers in Doddridge, Taylor, Harrison, Marshall, etc. counties. Cheers!

No not where we are - Cannan Valley - Tucker Count 3500ft - always cold and snow this time of year - now temps next week will be warmer but another couple weeks probably wont see any nites higher then 45 or so

Yep, looks like some chilly stuff is heading down the Ohio valley.

It has definitely been chilly here as well. So far the high for today has been 45 and we have an outdoor wedding to attend today which ought to be fun with all the rain we are having right now.

One thing I have learned about the USA in the past 2 years on this forum: it's not just in Canada that it gets cold!
It is cooling off here this week: 40s-50s for a high. The month of September spoiled us: low 70s almost all month!!!

Congrats on the first 24 hr burn! I would run out of wood if I started burning 24 hours a day right now

Andrew

kayakkeith said:
So the first 24 hour burn is underway - we had temps overnite in 30's and its spitting snow now - not supposed to get over 45 the next 24 hours or so. It will get warm again but its coming. Thats weather in the high elevations of WV

You lucky guy!

Andrew it sounds like you were warmer in September than we were except for a few days.

I had seen where parts of PA and WV were expected to see some snowflakes. You can keep it and report how it is Keith; we'll wait until November to see ours (hopefully).

We may have our first light frost tonight. I'm burning today anyway, though. The miniature Dachshund got sprayed in the face by a skunk last night. Then the SOB (skunk, not the dog) went under the house and sprayed again. Then it came out, went behind the house, and sprayed again before leaving. It is TERRIBLE in here. All windows are open, ceiling fans are on, and the stove is fired to keep the heat pump from cycling.

Pagey, set out a little bit of white vinegar in every room. Also light a few candles. It will at least help take it away faster. One other suggestion is to take a long vacation.

Keith, it is good to know we are not the only ones getting chilly air.

We had a first hard frost a couple weeks ago - thats why we need alot of wood. The dont call this area little Canada of the south for nothing - we get basically close to 200 inches of snow each year

I was in Norfolk VA this week and it was in the 80's. Returned home last night and I need a fire going. Woke up to 31 with some frost in the yard. It's getting close to 24/7 burning for me, usually mid to late Oct is when I start.

Backwoods Savage said:
Pagey, set out a little bit of white vinegar in every room. Also light a few candles. It will at least help take it away faster. One other suggestion is to take a long vacation.

Keith, it is good to know we are not the only ones getting chilly air.

Good call, Dennis. The vinegar has been out since early this AM. The wife is pretty sharp. I fear the skunk is still under the house, however....

So heres what we are getting - the new wood shed in the back is getting its first snow cover

Attachments

• IMG-20111001-00160.jpg
    IMG-20111001-00160.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 564
GOOD GRIEF! I would die if it snowed like that already here.

Dennis: yes, we had a very warm September. It was warmer than our July! The only problem is that we are still invaded by black flies: lots of water and warm weather!

I do remember in 1998 on October 29th getting 3 feet of snow though...that was pretty hard on the moral and was great for psychologists businesses.

Andrew

Kay and pagey I feel for you, tough places to live when winter rolls in a month earlier than most of us. As someone else said, I would run out of wood too if I was to start now. I have yet to be all ready, still stacking wood on the porch from the drying racks.

My Oslo heats my home said:
Kay and pagey I feel for you, tough places to live when winter rolls in a month earlier than most of us. As someone else said, I would run out of wood too if I was to start now. I have yet to be all ready, still stacking wood on the porch from the drying racks.

Typical weather for the Cumberland Plateau. We'll be back to 83 for the high by the end of the week. We have long shoulder seasons here.

Pagey said:
We may have our first light frost tonight. I'm burning today anyway, though. The miniature Dachshund got sprayed in the face by a skunk last night. Then the SOB (skunk, not the dog) went under the house and sprayed again. Then it came out, went behind the house, and sprayed again before leaving. It is TERRIBLE in here. All windows are open, ceiling fans are on, and the stove is fired to keep the heat pump from cycling.

I guess you are not thinking about any stove generated smells at the moment ;)

If it makes you feel better, I knew a guy that had cats (the 4 legged type) getting into his chicken pen. On night he heard a commotion and went to investigate. Being dark, he couldn't see what he was about to kick with his large work boots and when he got the cat backed into a corner, he started kicking. Problem was that the cat was a skunk and it decided to fire back. The guy made a full regreat! His boots had tough of skunk for years after that!

Bill

Swedishchef said:
GOOD GRIEF! I would die if it snowed like that already here.

Andrew

Never thought I would hear a Canadian saying this to a guy from WV! ;-)

im also in wv...not as high as u are im in alderson wv.........today was first time this year burning...we went to my sons football game at about 4..i got the insert going and banked her down......when we got home at 930..it was nice and toasty...83 degrees in the house...and man it felt good after standing in the rain and cold for hours

Two miles down the road from Keith
IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG
Edit...one of these days I will figure out how to post a pic using my wife's iPad

Lets see if I can get the picture turned the correct way

Attachments

• IMG-20111001-00160.jpg
    IMG-20111001-00160.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 304
Wow . . . amazing to see snow cover in an area already in an area so much further south than us . . . almost blows one's mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.