1st Annual Hearth.com Wisconsin Get Together

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a chance to get together with some of your fellow wood burners for an afternoon of camaraderie and fun. I hope you can make it.

Wedell, I think he was talking about the smoking ban... You guys should wait untill it gets colder to enjoy the fire :lol:

But when it gets colder we'll all want to be home enjoying our fires!

You guys all know I don't actually own a fireplace of my own.... right. :)

I'll try to make it.

But I might have to ride my bicycle up there, since Wisconsin is my favoritest place in the world to pedal my bike!

Mike

jtp10181 said:
You guys all know I don't actually own a fireplace of my own.... right. :)

I think we can let you slide, especially since you burn a number of stoves and inserts at work.

Stockdoct: The Roxbury Tavern is very bicycle-friendly. There are usually a number of bicyclists who show up for the pancake
breakfasts on Sunday morning.

This is going to be fun.

stockdoct said:
I'll try to make it.

But I might have to ride my bicycle up there, since Wisconsin is my favoritest place in the world to pedal my bike!

Mike

Mike, maybe I should ride over to your place and we'd go together?!

How's your mileage this year? Probably much higher than mine (2,469).

Don't know if I'll make it, we have Oktoberfest in town that weekend and the wife likes to polka and drink Leinies.

Todd said:
Don't know if I'll make it, we have Oktoberfest in town that weekend and the wife likes to polka and drink Leinies.

She can polka less than a block away. And Brother Bart will be in the woods with the Leines.

http://www.foodspot.com/dorfhaus/

jtp10181 said:
F'ing Illinois Bastard

heh

Its to counter the cheesehead remarks. I grew up in IL so...

So would this a party of 3 if I came? I know there is a bunch more Wisconsin members on the forums but some are hours away from the madison area. Oh and I don't really drink beer.... so I find bars kind of boring, and disgusting if they allow smoking inside. Sorry :-/

When I was single and Wisconsin girls called us FIBs, we thought they were complimenting us. We were told it was Friendly Illinois Bachelors. You blew it for me. I'm so mad!

Todd, you have to talk her into it. I have you down to teach the 2:00 workshop on "How to Choose the Right Woodstove" which follows JTP's presentation of "Your Flue and You".

Hah, that's an easy one, it won't take but a few seconds when I give out the Woodstock web site. :lol:

Does your new employer know about this sales technique? I think you might want to find a new one! ;-)

wendell said:
Does your new employer know about this sales technique? I think you might want to find a new one! ;-)

I quit the other day, I'm not cut out for pool and hot tub sales and we didn't see eye to eye with his sales techniques. There were also many other issues I just didn't want to deal with there. But I did meet some good people and have a good lead on another job at another hearth store that needs help with installs after their new store opens. I'm expecting a call in a couple weeks. I'd rather be out in the field getting my hands dirty than on the shop floor selling.

wendell said:
Read the article linked above, jtp, I think you'll find the Roxbury different and they do not allow smoking. Beer drinking certainly is not required and for me, the highlight of the day (besides meeting you, of course) will be the field trip to northwinds' wood lot for the tree ID contest.

Plus, I think we will have a lot more than 3. Rumor has it that Craig is going to send Bart to moderate and Dennis is going to take the ferry over. Hopefully we can get jackpine to come and bring some goodies from his cookstove and round up a few of our southwestern compatriots along the way.

Wendell, this sounds like this idea has the potential for a good time, however I have some concerns. I read the write up on the Roxbury Tavern and visited their website. I like to drink beer in places that allow flannel shirts and if we are going to be talking Hearth.com topics the discussions could get a little rough. This could create a problem as it appears the owner of the establishment can be easily offended.

You suggested that I bring some goodies from my cookstove. I do have a dynamite recipe for bread pudding, but it might not be appropriate for this establishment because they advertise:

The Flaky Alaskan - Babcock vanilla covered with meringue and chocolate on a flaky tart and torched at your table by our highly trained and insured staff - mixed fruits and nuts on the right side.

Here is a tavern that talks about flakes, fruits and nuts. I do not really want to drink beer around these people.

Is BrotherBart going to build a campfire in Northwinds' woodlot so we can all sit around the fire and sing Kumbaya? Sorry, I am really not interested.

One suggestion, prior to September 19th you may want to alert the tavern owner and neighbors....keep the women and children in the house that day.

Jackpine

jackpine said:
Is BrotherBart going to build a campfire in Northwinds' woodlot so we can all sit around the fire and sing Kumbaya? Sorry, I am really not interested.

I was thinking of doing a firelight presentation on one of of these subjects:

"Pine, It's Not Just For Hillbillies Anymore"

"Possum, How To Prepare The Other White Meat On A Wood Stove"

"hearth.com, Facebook For The Wood Burner"

"Coming Out: How To Break The News To Your Family And Friends That You Own A Cat Stove"

"NFPA 211, Safety Or A Liberal Plot?"

"Smoke Hating Neighbors, Where To Hide The Bodies"

"Shopping For Firewood Furniture At The Salvation Army In Late March"

Are there no "Timber Sports" events to be held?

The split chuck
the round chuck
axe throwing
one handed splitting
i also like the endurance events like
the 100m dash with chainsaw (you could go to 500m but thats kinda far)

think my wife will buy the "I was abducted by aliens and taken to some place called the Roxbury" excuse?

BrotherBart said:
jackpine said:

I was thinking of doing a firelight presentation on one of of these subjects:

"Pine, It's Not Just For Hillbillies Anymore"

"Possum, How To Prepare The Other White Meat On A Wood Stove"

"hearth.com, Facebook For The Wood Burner"

"Coming Out: How To Break The News To Your Family And Friends That You Own A Cat Stove"

"NFPA 211, Safety Or A Liberal Plot?"

"Smoke Hating Neighbors, Where To Hide The Bodies"

"Shopping For Firewood Furniture At The Salvation Army In Late March"

Now...I would be definately interested in one of these topics. This could be construed as a seminar and I could write off the trip and party as a business expense.
Jackpine

jackpine said:
Wendell, this sounds like this idea has the potential for a good time, however I have some concerns. I read the write up on the Roxbury Tavern and visited their website. I like to drink beer in places that allow flannel shirts and if we are going to be talking Hearth.com topics the discussions could get a little rough. This could create a problem as it appears the owner of the establishment can be easily offended.

You suggested that I bring some goodies from my cookstove. I do have a dynamite recipe for bread pudding, but it might not be appropriate for this establishment because they advertise:

The Flaky Alaskan - Babcock vanilla covered with meringue and chocolate on a flaky tart and torched at your table by our highly trained and insured staff - mixed fruits and nuts on the right side.

Here is a tavern that talks about flakes, fruits and nuts. I do not really want to drink beer around these people.

One suggestion, prior to September 19th you may want to alert the tavern owner and neighbors....keep the women and children in the house that day.

Jackpine

Jackpine,

I frequently show up at the Roxbury Tavern after an afternoon in the woods in a sweaty t-shirt and wood chips in my hair. I don't think
you have to worry about your flannel shirt. The owner is a gourmet cook, but I prefer the burgers and fries. This is not a hoity toity
place. The kitchen isn't much bigger than the desk that I'm sitting at. If you order that dessert, it gets flamed with a propane torch.
Personally, I don't do fancy desserts or kumbaya.

On the other hand, this tavern is a family place. Women and children are always welcome. If that's a problem, I can't
help you. There are lots of Wisconsin bars for smoking, spitting and telling dirty stories, and I enjoy that kind of place
too. But I want people to feel comfortable bringing families to this event.

Now at the woodlot, I think we can open things up a bit. I'm especially looking forward to Brother Bart's "Smoke Hating
Neighbors, Where To Hide The Bodies." I'm in favor of putting Delta-T in charge of Timber Sports. I should probably advise
that there's no cell phone service and the nearest good hospital is 40 minutes away.

jackpine said:
This could be construed as a seminar and I could write off the trip and party as a business expense.
Jackpine

Of course it's a business expense. Isn't everything? :lol:

Looks like northwinds overcame all of your objections which is a really good thing as I am really looking forward to that bread pudding. Man, I love bread pudding. I had a woman give me some a few weeks ago that she made with rhubarb. About the best thing I have ever eaten.

wendell said:
jackpine said:
This could be construed as a seminar and I could write off the trip and party as a business expense.
Jackpine

Of course it's a business expense. Isn't everything? :lol:

I will be handing out Continuing Education Credits.

after I win $135 gazzillion on "The Balls of Power" tonight, I will be giving out cash prizes for all Timber Sports competitors.
BB, you may also wish to put together a small pamphlet highlighting the dangers of pine and mountain lions. Too little of this topic has been given enough serious attention on the "traditional" news stations.

Being in the New Hampshire, I was unaware there was so much animosity between Wisconsin-ites and Illinois-(? damn, what are people from Illinois called, Corn huskers?). (regarding the FIB derogatory).

Delta-T said:
Being in the New Hampshire, I was unaware there was so much animosity between Wisconsin-ites and Illinois-(? damn, what are people from Illinois called, Corn huskers?). (regarding the FIB derogatory).

We like Chicago money. If Chicago residents could stay home and just agree to automatic withdrawals, everything would be cool. :)
It's a good natured rivalry, based mostly on urban vs. rural stereotypes. Cheeseheads vs. Flatlanders. Dumb hicks vs. fibs. Da Bears vs.
The Packers. The Badgers vs. the Fighting Illinis.

Status
Not open for further replies.