1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

1st Annual Hearth.com Wisconsin Get Together

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by wendell, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. minnow19

minnow19 New Member

Loc:
    Central Wisconsin
    WTF is this all about???

I might be able to make it
  3. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Just a chance to get together with some of your fellow wood burners for an afternoon of camaraderie and fun. I hope you can make it.
  4. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    Wedell, I think he was talking about the smoking ban... You guys should wait untill it gets colder to enjoy the fire :lol:
  5. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    But when it gets colder we'll all want to be home enjoying our fires!
  6. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    You guys all know I don't actually own a fireplace of my own.... right. :)
  7. stockdoct

stockdoct New Member

Loc:
    ilinois
    I'll try to make it.

But I might have to ride my bicycle up there, since Wisconsin is my favoritest place in the world to pedal my bike!

Mike
  8. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    I think we can let you slide, especially since you burn a number of stoves and inserts at work.

Stockdoct: The Roxbury Tavern is very bicycle-friendly. There are usually a number of bicyclists who show up for the pancake
    breakfasts on Sunday morning.

This is going to be fun.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan

Mike, maybe I should ride over to your place and we'd go together?!

How's your mileage this year? Probably much higher than mine (2,469).
  10. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Don't know if I'll make it, we have Oktoberfest in town that weekend and the wife likes to polka and drink Leinies.
  11. northwinds

Loc:
    south central WI
    She can polka less than a block away. And Brother Bart will be in the woods with the Leines.

http://www.foodspot.com/dorfhaus/
  12. jdinspector

jdinspector Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern IL
    When I was single and Wisconsin girls called us FIBs, we thought they were complimenting us. We were told it was Friendly Illinois Bachelors. You blew it for me. I'm so mad!
  13. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Todd, you have to talk her into it. I have you down to teach the 2:00 workshop on "How to Choose the Right Woodstove" which follows JTP's presentation of "Your Flue and You".
  14. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Hah, that's an easy one, it won't take but a few seconds when I give out the Woodstock web site. :lol:
  15. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Does your new employer know about this sales technique? I think you might want to find a new one! ;-)
  16. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    I quit the other day, I'm not cut out for pool and hot tub sales and we didn't see eye to eye with his sales techniques. There were also many other issues I just didn't want to deal with there. But I did meet some good people and have a good lead on another job at another hearth store that needs help with installs after their new store opens. I'm expecting a call in a couple weeks. I'd rather be out in the field getting my hands dirty than on the shop floor selling.
  17. waynek

waynek Member

Loc:
    Southern WI
    Wendell, this sounds like this idea has the potential for a good time, however I have some concerns. I read the write up on the Roxbury Tavern and visited their website. I like to drink beer in places that allow flannel shirts and if we are going to be talking Hearth.com topics the discussions could get a little rough. This could create a problem as it appears the owner of the establishment can be easily offended.

You suggested that I bring some goodies from my cookstove. I do have a dynamite recipe for bread pudding, but it might not be appropriate for this establishment because they advertise:

The Flaky Alaskan - Babcock vanilla covered with meringue and chocolate on a flaky tart and torched at your table by our highly trained and insured staff - mixed fruits and nuts on the right side.

Here is a tavern that talks about flakes, fruits and nuts. I do not really want to drink beer around these people.

Is BrotherBart going to build a campfire in Northwinds' woodlot so we can all sit around the fire and sing Kumbaya? Sorry, I am really not interested.

One suggestion, prior to September 19th you may want to alert the tavern owner and neighbors....keep the women and children in the house that day.

Jackpine
  18. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I was thinking of doing a firelight presentation on one of of these subjects:

"Pine, It's Not Just For Hillbillies Anymore"

"Possum, How To Prepare The Other White Meat On A Wood Stove"

"hearth.com, Facebook For The Wood Burner"

"Coming Out: How To Break The News To Your Family And Friends That You Own A Cat Stove"

"NFPA 211, Safety Or A Liberal Plot?"

"Smoke Hating Neighbors, Where To Hide The Bodies"

"Shopping For Firewood Furniture At The Salvation Army In Late March"
  19. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    Are there no "Timber Sports" events to be held?

The split chuck
    the round chuck
    axe throwing
    one handed splitting
    i also like the endurance events like
    the 100m dash with chainsaw (you could go to 500m but thats kinda far)

think my wife will buy the "I was abducted by aliens and taken to some place called the Roxbury" excuse?
  20. waynek

waynek Member

Loc:
    Southern WI
    Now...I would be definately interested in one of these topics. This could be construed as a seminar and I could write off the trip and party as a business expense.
    Jackpine
  21. northwinds

Loc:
    south central WI
    Jackpine,

I frequently show up at the Roxbury Tavern after an afternoon in the woods in a sweaty t-shirt and wood chips in my hair. I don't think
    you have to worry about your flannel shirt. The owner is a gourmet cook, but I prefer the burgers and fries. This is not a hoity toity
    place. The kitchen isn't much bigger than the desk that I'm sitting at. If you order that dessert, it gets flamed with a propane torch.
    Personally, I don't do fancy desserts or kumbaya.

On the other hand, this tavern is a family place. Women and children are always welcome. If that's a problem, I can't
    help you. There are lots of Wisconsin bars for smoking, spitting and telling dirty stories, and I enjoy that kind of place
    too. But I want people to feel comfortable bringing families to this event.

Now at the woodlot, I think we can open things up a bit. I'm especially looking forward to Brother Bart's "Smoke Hating
    Neighbors, Where To Hide The Bodies." I'm in favor of putting Delta-T in charge of Timber Sports. I should probably advise
    that there's no cell phone service and the nearest good hospital is 40 minutes away.
  22. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Of course it's a business expense. Isn't everything? :lol:

Looks like northwinds overcame all of your objections which is a really good thing as I am really looking forward to that bread pudding. Man, I love bread pudding. I had a woman give me some a few weeks ago that she made with rhubarb. About the best thing I have ever eaten.
  23. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I will be handing out Continuing Education Credits.
  24. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    after I win $135 gazzillion on "The Balls of Power" tonight, I will be giving out cash prizes for all Timber Sports competitors.
    BB, you may also wish to put together a small pamphlet highlighting the dangers of pine and mountain lions. Too little of this topic has been given enough serious attention on the "traditional" news stations.

Being in the New Hampshire, I was unaware there was so much animosity between Wisconsin-ites and Illinois-(? damn, what are people from Illinois called, Corn huskers?). (regarding the FIB derogatory).
  25. northwinds

Loc:
    south central WI
    We like Chicago money. If Chicago residents could stay home and just agree to automatic withdrawals, everything would be cool. :)
    It's a good natured rivalry, based mostly on urban vs. rural stereotypes. Cheeseheads vs. Flatlanders. Dumb hicks vs. fibs. Da Bears vs.
    The Packers. The Badgers vs. the Fighting Illinis.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.