1st Annual Hearth.com Wisconsin Get Together

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I can't make it. Seems the TSA won't let me carry on the old commercial Poulan and the checked baggage charge is up to the price of cord of wood these days. :mad:

What has the world come to when you can't take a five horse chainsaw onboard an airplane with ya?

I will be there with my wife and daughter

Glad you can make it, jtp.

Brother Bart, I thought you'd be coming on the Hearth.com corporate jet with the
scantily-clad Fire Bunnies serving drinks at 30,000 feet...we can arrange pick-up
service at the Prairie du Sac airport if you change your mind.

northwinds said:
Glad you can make it, jtp.

Brother Bart, I thought you'd be coming on the Hearth.com corporate jet with the
scantily-clad Fire Bunnies serving drinks at 30,000 feet...we can arrange pick-up
service at the Prairie du Sac airport if you change your mind.

Craig and Webwidow have the plane locked in for some flower child reunion on the banks of the Gauley River that day. Something about going back to party at the site of the old shack and reliving their youth. :)

I'd like to come but hubby can't travel more than 1 hour away from his Milwaukee hospital. Wonder if I could find a "Grampa Sitter" for the day......... :lol:

Shari

I will be there at high noon... look forward to meeting everyone.
jackpine

Fantastic. Look forward to meeting you!

Looks like I'll be running a few minutes late, getting kids to the assigned places, but I'll be there shortly
after 12.

You guys gonna take a group picture?

Sorry Troops, I had planned on the road trip, but my mom passed away late yesterday afternoon. So my plate just became overloaded. You all have a great time, and post a bunch of pics. Maybe if there is another I can attend.

Blades, I am sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

A smaller group than we had hoped but the 6 that were there had a great time (at least until jtp's daughter hit her head on the table!). Our goal is to double for next year and are open to suggestions if there would be a better time of the year to do it, possibly in winter when people aren't still busy getting ready for winter?

Well anyway, here's the inaugural group.

IMG_2638.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

Well, yeah, very cool that you guys did this...but who's who in the pics? And where are the rest of the pics? ;-) Rick

You have to guess. :cheese:

And if you wanted to see more, you should have been there! ;-)

wendell said:
You have to guess. :cheese:

And if you wanted to see more, you should have been there! ;-)

Right, well, that's about a 4,000 mile round trip for me, so don't expect me any year soon. %-P I'm guessing that's you in the pink T-shirt. :lol: Rick

It looks like a group of mercanaries who just finished signing contracts with a private security group to protect the American Embassy in Pakistan.
Either that or they're wood burners.

That looks like an experienced group of woodburners with another generation in the 'learning stage'! :)

Shari

Thanks to everyone who was able to come. It was fun to sit and talk with fellow wood burners
and a stove guy over a couple of cold drinks and lunch.

It was great to be a part of the 1st Annual Hearth.com, Wisconsin Divn. After lunch Northwinds invited us to his 12 acre woodlot. Armed with a splitting maul Northwinds guided us to his wood splitting area and split a couple pieces of year and one-half seasoned hickory. Moisture meters ranged from 16 to 26 percent. So it was decided the average of the numbers would be used - 21 percent. (This was not a real confidence builder in using moisture meters) Wacking two splits together confirmed the percentage - yep it sounds about 21 percent moisture content.

There is ample evidence that Nortwinds works hard at putting up wood. His woodlot has a nice mix of hardwoods and appears it can sustain his firewood needs for some time.

One thing I thought was rather odd...BrotherBart's name came up at least three times in our conversations.
Jackpine

Sorry I had to miss you guys! We were golfing Lake Windsor while you guys were eatting though.

Blades, my condolences. You guys have to give a name to everyone on the pic...The last pic, guy on the left looks pissed that he is out of beer :)

Sounds like you guys had a good time. That table is way too devoid of dead soldiers. All I see is pop cans and water bottles. Hmmm....I think you guys ought to try this again. I would like to try to make it up there.

Edit: hey Rick - I thought you bought that scooter to Riiide. 4000 miles??? thats what that twisty thing on the right handle bar is for. :coolsmile:

Which brings back the question, would sometime during the winter work better? Seems like we ran up against a lot of people still having other activities going on in the fall. Of course, in the winter, you run the chance of having weather problems.

wendell said:
Which brings back the question, would sometime during the winter work better? Seems like we ran up against a lot of people still having other activities going on in the fall. Of course, in the winter, you run the chance of having weather problems.

I was thinking about maybe the beginning of March or something. Thats about the time we are all getting tired of feeding the beast its fiber diet. Its when many question "do I have enough". All sorts of things to talk about. Of course outside activities could be questionable, based on weather.

burntime said:
Blades, my condolences. You guys have to give a name to everyone on the pic...The last pic, guy on the left looks pissed that he is out of beer :)

Rule number one...what happens in Roxbury stays in Roxbury...that means we do not divulge the names of the attendees without express written consent.
jackpine

Status
Not open for further replies.