1st big cleaning question Harmon XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msjks

Jan 5, 2016
Massachusetts
So... we have burned 1 ton since 10/15 - and I decided to do a good cleaning over this weekend. Never mind that trying to access our stove to say mildly very tight quarters since it's kitty corner and i have to lay on the floor to pull the back... anyways - I pulled the back to find the exhaust motor fan and looking for the 3 thumb bolts I was stopped in my tracks --- I found the 2 - i.e. 1 at 10 and 2nd at about 1, but the 3rd - no thumb bolt - what I saw was a nut with a long extention and a bolt head - see pic - am I supposed to take this as a thumb bolt? pic in the manual just showed an arrow. I was reluctant to loosen it so I didn't. Everything else looked really clean - found the fines box and that had some dust and about a palm full for 1/4" pellets... I will say however bad design - when you open the fines box - it falls on the intake fan below it --- next time i will cover that with a small rag something so mess is less. Also still having a issue with the fly as not getting into the pan and accumulated more toward the left of the stove than the right. Anyone else have an issue with this? It was just as deep at the ash in the pan. Thanks, all....

Attachments

• stove motor pic.jpg
    stove motor pic.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 244
Ash gets everywhere , get yourself a cheap paint brush and just brush it down into the pan. I'm not familiar with the fan design, on my P61 there is a hatch inside the stove behind the ash pan that pulls out and the fan blade is right there. I brush that down too.

The long bolt would need to be loosen with the two thumb screws to get the exhaust motor out. It is a long bolt because you would not be able to get to it if it was a thumb screw.

I get a lot of ash on the sides also, I would say I get a little more ash on the left then I do on the right.

Thanks, even with the wires - there is almost no play on getting this fan assembly out - I find that there is very little room to work with - Someone should re-write the manual to say that it's 2 thumb screws and a long bolt, along with making the ash pan span the whole width of the box....... along with a few other things I am noticing. "Get a pellet stove" you'll love it. I will say wood is messier but throw it in and let it burn... Pellets - rub it's belly and take it's temperature!! Hubby is away alot due to business so this feat is left to me.... and I'm on a learning curve.... Thanks, all. it's nice to know you can go somewhere and get the real answers. The dealer never went into any kind of detail with this stove and You've all been a big help!...

There are several lady's around the site like yourself, not afraid to dive in head first. You'll get it done. You may find too that the fan really doesn't have to come out on every ton. But it's good you're getting into it, then you can see just how much mess is really in there. If it's just basically dust you can probably go longer..

Reactions: bogieb
Welcome to the forum! Being a single female and coming from a wood burning background, I can sympathize with the learning curve of cleaning pellet stoves. Unfortunately, I can't be much help to you since I have a couple of P-series and the fan is accessed thru the front of the stove. However, maybe one of these videos will help? I know the first time I cleaned my P61a, I watched the cleaning video, then started it again and was running up and down the stairs as I went step by step (lots of "pauses" of the cd). After you get used to it, it will be old hat and no big deal.

There are several lady's around the site like yourself, not afraid to dive in head first. You'll get it done. You may find too that the fan really doesn't have to come out on every ton. But it's good you're getting into it, then you can see just how much mess is really in there. If it's just basically dust you can probably go longer..

That is good info right there - it will really depend on the pellets you burn on how often a deep clean is needed.

Hey, and to give you something to look forward to, start looking for a cheap leaf blower on CL so you can amaze your hubby and friends with the rooster tail of ash you can produce using the leaf blower trick :)

Welcome to the forum! Being a single female and coming from a wood burning background, I can sympathize with the learning curve of cleaning pellet stoves. Unfortunately, I can't be much help to you since I have a couple of P-series and the fan is accessed thru the front of the stove. However, maybe one of these videos will help? I know the first time I cleaned my P61a, I watched the cleaning video, then started it again and was running up and down the stairs as I went step by step (lots of "pauses" of the cd). After you get used to it, it will be old hat and no big deal.
damn////
all this time thought u we're a guy...

Attachments

• 37471173.jpg
    37471173.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 139
damn////
all this time thought u we're a guy...
That's funny right there. Now you know that I'm not an extremely whiney guy - just a regular girl ==c

Ha! I knew I wasnt the only chic out there....!!! Thanks for all the input... like the leaf blower trick..... We have a oldie that I was thinking of getting rid of but not now!! I looked at a couple of the videos but I would say that you would have to brush the venting 1st to loosen up it all - am I right?

Yeah, you still want to do a cleaning - just finish it up with the LBT. You will be stunned by how much comes out even when you swear you could eat off the dang thing. Oh, and make the leaf blower has both the sucker and blower parts - don't want to be blowing into the pipe!

I do it every ton (+/-), but I also usually burn fairly ashy pellets. Those that run better pellets can go longer.

Ha! I knew I wasnt the only chic out there....!!! Thanks for all the input... like the leaf blower trick..... We have a oldie that I was thinking of getting rid of but not now!! I looked at a couple of the videos but I would say that you would have to brush the venting 1st to loosen up it all - am I right?
I take a brush and clean the outside pipe then hook up Mr Hurricane to the pipe.. always get a brown cloud zoom out...which I try not to do on a windy ass day.

should ad that since using less ashy Home depot stuff since last year the exhaust pipe including the tunnel inside the stove are lot less ashy powder..

Attachments

• IMG_1993.JPG
    IMG_1993.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Last year I burned about 6 tons, this year so far only 1 ton. Anyways, I only checked the exhaust pipe once last season and I couldn't believe how clean it was on my XXV. My old stove I would have to clean out every 1 ton and the pipe was disgusting.

Anyways I clean my stove burn pot/ash area every 2-3 weeks when I empty the ash bin (stove chow pellets are very ashy and fill it up). What I do is: 1) empty the bin 2) get my shop vac (with High-Efficiency Filter Bag) 3) open the window and put the exhaust from the shop vac outside. 4) shop vac the stove and heat ex-changers along with the igniter area. 4) Use spray bottle water and paper towels on glass.

This process generally takes less than 20 mins.

My local stove shop comes and does the dirty work once a season. They do a very thorough job and the guy spends easily 2 hours cleaning every nook and cranny. He also shrink wraps the pipe in the spring to prevent moisture from getting at the stove. Suggests putting a damp rid box in stove during summer months.

You really don't need to do all that much at the first new ton. But it is good to get to know what the stove is all about.

Key Note: When tinkering around and "working" on your stove be sure to UNPLUG IT. Some guy last year fried a board on his new Harman dicking around with it plugged in.

I'd do the more thorough stuff once a year. If you scrape and clean everything, vac it out, and hit the fines and igniter box area every ton along with general cleaning you will be fine. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

You really don't need to do all that much at the first new ton. But it is good to get to know what the stove is all about.

Key Note: When tinkering around and "working" on your stove be sure to UNPLUG IT. Some guy last year fried a board on his new Harman dicking around with it plugged in.

I'd do the more thorough stuff once a year. If you scrape and clean everything, vac it out, and hit the fines and igniter box area every ton along with general cleaning you will be fine. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.
I have backed off from being OCD with my stove like I was in the beginning..
I'll scrape maybe every few days now instead of 3x a day.lol [using better grade of pellets now really helps to exstend cleanings I have found]..
keeping the Igniter compartment relativly clean is more key for me along with brushing the heat exchanger regularly..
I hit the igniter with compressed air every couple weeks remembering that when my head is in the stove to keep my Mouth shut and eyes closed..!!! only takes 1 time to remember that!

Reactions: bags
I have also become much less OCD on the cleanings. They are important but I was definitely overkill. My Harman dealer I bought the 68 from heats his shop with a 68. He said he runs his all year and only switches out the ash pan when it is full and does quick heat exchanger and burn pot scrapes just to show customers that they are dependable units and require little maintenance.

I was over that way in Indiana doing a job a week ago and thought of stopping in but wanted to get home. I'll swing by some other time. He's a cool guy and really nice to chat with. Plus I'd like to see some of the other models.

Reactions: bogieb and Tonyray
I have also become much less OCD on the cleanings. They are important but I was definitely overkill. My Harman dealer I bought the 68 from heats his shop with a 68. He said he runs his all year and only switches out the ash pan when it is full and does quick heat exchanger and burn pot scrapes just to show customers that they are dependable units and require little maintenance.

I was over that way in Indiana doing a job a week ago and thought of stopping in but wanted to get home. I'll swing by some other time. He's a cool guy and really nice to chat with. Plus I'd like to see some of the other models.
I was always home all the time back then as a early retirement boomer...
Now I am gone 30 some hrs a week delivering auto parts and really don't want to be on top of the stove everyday//.
My solution? stay away from HD and spend extra for the better grade pellets. Good softies when I can.. really made a difference...

I pull my combustion blower every 2 tons but I use super premium pellets. Ash gets all over, you'll accept it soon enough.

Brush down your heat exchanger every 3-4 days, scrape burn pot daily, tap burn pot 2-3 times after scraping. Empty ash pan when full (3 weeks for me usually).

Between ash pan dumps check igniter chamber for debris and use finger to pull it out. When I empty ash pan, I vacuum igniter chamber.

It sounds like you are getting the hand of it really well. If I recall, I think the bolt is 3/8 or 7/16, using a socket wrench on it works for.

Status
Not open for further replies.