1st Burn Break in advise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeP

Aug 13, 2011
Upstate NY
I remember when my old stove was new I had to burn and leave windows open,1st burn was smelly. I don't remember if it had a break in themp or duration to run at. I can get any info from manual. Any advise on 1st burn. Its a 25 PVEnglander Stove just installed Thanks

The first burn will "break in" the paint - with the smell that you remember. Burn hot for several hours. The cooler the burn, the longer the paint smell takes to burn off. I'm sure someone here can give you a more definitive answer ==c

Englander is known for customer service so drop them a line.

I remember when my old stove was new I had to burn and leave windows open,1st burn was smelly. I don't remember if it had a break in themp or duration to run at. I can get any info from manual. Any advise on 1st burn. Its a 25 PVEnglander Stove just installed Thanks
Too bad you didn't remember BEFORE you installed it, could have done it outside ...................

Open some windows and let it burn at it's highest setting for an hour or so and the smell should dissipate.

We used to preburn them at the dealer before delivery. That way we got rid of the burning paint or oil smell as well as a final check to make sure everything worked like its supposed to. Nothing looks worse then delivering a new stove and it won't start. Really gives the new owner a sense of confidence.

Open some windows and let it burn at it's highest setting for an hour or so and the smell should dissipate.
I am "breaking in" my new stove and that's what I was told to do by the guy who installed it. Very little odor from my harman.

When I broke in my stove, the inside of my house smelled like spray paint.

I remembered the smell it was so bad. I thought I burned it on setting 9 and opened the windows. I will burn on high and get out for while, leaving the windows open. Thanks Guys

I had my first burn outside on the sidewalk. It was smelly outside. I couldnt imagine what it would have been like inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.