1st Burn In BK Princess Insert Questions - Newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately your wood is not dry and that is contributing to poor burn times and is why you may need to keep the bimetal thermostat higher than you'd like. Your stove needs more air to burn off all that moisture. I started C/S/Sing wood in Nov of 2012, so not quite a year old, but I get no sizzling and I can put my thermostat on 1.5 dots and it'll go all day with the blower on low as well. Next year will be better as you get dryer wood.

Reactions: Highbeam
To get an accurate reading, do I need to insert the 2 points all the way in on a fresh split face? How do I get an accurate reading of a log and not measuring the outside air?

So what I'm looking for is no sizzling and foaming at all, correct? What about the dampness at the end of the log?

Dampness on the ends could be surface moisture, but sizzling and foaming definitely indicates that your wood is not fully seasoned. Wood needs to be dry (i.e under 18% MC) to burn up to it's fully potential in any stove, but the newer, EPA approved ones are more particular. However, burning dry wood in one will result an efficient, long lasting burn.

To get an accurate reading, do I need to insert the 2 points all the way in on a fresh split face?

They just need to be pressed firmly into the fresh face.

Will I damage the stove if I do not open the bypass when the door is open?

Cold air hitting a hot cat will cause damage over time due to thermal shock. Anytime you open the door you want to open the bypass first.

I pressed it in so that the meter would be hanging down if I hold the log in mid air.

You need to take one of your splits and cut it in half with an ax, then measure the fresh split face.

When he says cut it in half, he means in half length wise. So the split is still roughly 16-18in long.

You need to take one of your splits and cut it in half with an ax, then measure the fresh split face.

Will I damage the stove if I do not open the bypass when the door is open?

Yes, If that door is open then the bypass must also be open. Older stoves had this mechanically fixed to happen so as to prevent the damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.