1st burn in the Rangeley

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub381

Minister of Fire
Feb 4, 2011
Mid-coast Maine
Finally

Attachments

• 102_0369.jpg
    102_0369.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 486
2nd burn

Attachments

• 102_0370.jpg
    102_0370.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 495
I know others here have this stove so they may know what i'm talking about.The grate is tapered narrower toward the bottom.It raised on the left side when hot and i believe it's due to the brick being too tight for the fit. Can this hurt the stove? If the grate were straight sided i believe it would just bend the grate or break the brick but being tapered it just pushes it up.This however makes it bothersome to scrape the ash.Trimming the brick i believe would fix this,anyone have ideas of how to do this?

I am certain someone will chime in who has this stove...nice pics though!

I think you could use a chisel for the bring or a grinder. Then again, I could be wrong!

Andrew

Great stove. Considering one. Will be interested in your impressions as you break it in and use it.

keep ya informed.The damper seems to work like a switch.When you want control it's there and fast.Meaning,if you wanna keep the stove at 300 you can stop it there or real close.I do realize this probably wont be so easy on the big fires.Secondaries kick in slightly at 300.Holds it's heat well,little slow heating up but it would be when you're only looking for a 300 degree fire.lol Love it so far.Can't believe the heat from such a small kindling fire.Alot of heat through the door.This is fun.

Great looking fire congrats!! Being a Jotul I think it will be a crowd pleaser.. Hope you can post a video with those secondaries kicked in!

Ray

+1 Nice, Love that stove. I guess I have to wait until i wear out my Isle Royale. Looking forward to any pics and your impressions.

maxed_out said:
+1 Nice, Love that stove. I guess I have to wait until i wear out my Isle Royale. Looking forward to any pics and your impressions.

Might be a long wait. :)

lots better than the old VC you had, I am sure...

Bub381 said:
I know others here have this stove so they may know what i'm talking about.The grate is tapered narrower toward the bottom.It raised on the left side when hot and i believe it's due to the brick being too tight for the fit. Can this hurt the stove? If the grate were straight sided i believe it would just bend the grate or break the brick but being tapered it just pushes it up.This however makes it bothersome to scrape the ash.Trimming the brick i believe would fix this,anyone have ideas of how to do this?

try pulling out the grate (just lift it out) make sure no brick dust/chunks worked their way under it during the break ins and initial scraping of ash/ stirring of fires.... Next, check the offending brick, make sure no hard bits are holding it up somewhere.

Will do thanks.Love the stove so far.

The short brick in the front of the grate is wider than the adjoining brick.Now to narrow it. Alot better than the old VC,you are right there.

Your 2nd pic looks kinda smokey. Thats not a secondary pic, is it??

I seen a Rangley in a showroom the other day... Along with the F600.. Both beautiful... Congrats on the install...

Here are 2 pics of the 30.. One with the 1st load after kindling w/ Primary about half way open, the 2nd pic is Primary closed completely and just secondary air.

Built a fire tonight. Just reloaded it and going to bed soon.

Attachments

• Englander 30 Primary.jpg
    Englander 30 Primary.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 295
  • Englander 30 Secondaries.jpg
    Englander 30 Secondaries.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 295
Yes the secondaries were just starting at 300.Poor lighting.I used kindling that sat outside all summer in a covered plastic tub.Dampness prob clung there huh? Nice pic's here.Exciting isn't it? lol

Excellent pics Dex!

Ray

Bub381 said:
Yes the secondaries were just starting at 300.Poor lighting.I used kindling that sat outside all summer in a covered plastic tub.Dampness prob clung there huh? Nice pic's here.Exciting isn't it? lol

Absoltuly its exciting.. I have had a Pre Fab fireplace for about a decade now... Not the same as a woodstove. My 1st yr with the 30.. I just went down to check on it.. Its at 650 stove top and about 600 flue temp. Primary is shut all the way. I was tempted to throw a big split in. But my basement is 96* (No B.S.). Its heating about 800 sq ft of an unfinished basement (basement is 2,180 total). I have the basement door slightly cracked for a return and the laundry shoot door open. The laundry shoot is about 14 ft from stove.. The heat comes up from there. Its directly in the hallway of all 3 bedrooms. amazing how well its heating. I will close it before we go to bed, as its about 76 inside now and only 50 outside. I dont want to wake up sweating... Upstairs is also 2,180 sq ft and the pellet stove has done the job for a few seasons. But playing a game of pool or the Wife doing laundry, it was just to cold. Now we have fixed that problem and can probably/almost heat it all with the 30 alone. Time will tell. Its not cold yet. But I am not pushing it to hard yet, nor am I burning my Good Wood yet

Eventually, I am going to finish this part of the basement. A large portion is already done (Man Cave). But until then, it blasts me out of the basement. Even with it just block and concrete.

Hey Bub, I like the looks of your stove. I'm jealous your model has the andirons. I occasionally get a split to roll and land on the glass. Good luck with your brick issue and your breakins...

That is alot of area for a stove,sounds to me you did your homework when ya bought that 1.Alot of people suggested the 30 but we wanted that cast look.Remember i said WE lol.I just looked and saw you have a QF on main floor,i think you'll be warm.I don't know my stoves as i should but i'm learning.Keep me informed.I assumed the oslo had andirons.I guess i missed some things during my search.I know wood against the glass effects air wash but don't know if it hurts glass or not.I only have 7" clearance above them and top loading about the same allowance for width of wood.Anything wider would have to remove andirons or split smaller.Thanks,the brick will be fixed and breakins are done.

Hey Bub,just for future references whats the side and rear clearances min? I'mthinking I might convince the boss we need a new stove in the basement. I have a nice corner spot that could be nice.

Bottom,rear and flu heat shields are inc with stove

UNPROTECTED WALLS

single wall connector side 14" rear 18" corner 13"

single wall connector w/ flue collar heat shield (INCLUDED WITH STOVE) s/16" r/10" corner11"

double wall connector s/14" r/9" corner13"

double wall with flu collar heatshield s/14" r/5" corner13"

Hearth is only ember protection

PROTECTED WALLS

s/12" r/8" c8.5"

s/8" r/5" c/6"
s/6" r/8" c/6'
s/5"r/5" c/3.5"

Status
Not open for further replies.