1st Burn Tonight!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCoBernie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah it was 70 degrees outside around 7pm but I got to test out my recently installed I3100. Man does this thing crank out heat! I cant wait till the cooler temps. I got the living room up to 85 degrees from 72 in about 30 mins. The install went well, hit a few snags along the way, like flattening the round liner to fit down the flue easier. I also did a smoke test to look for leaks and saw that my connector had a bit of a gap so I hit it up with some fireplace mortar caulk (rated to 2000 deg) and it fixed the problem. No issues after that.

I did break a piece off my newly built hearth extension...not a big deal, just gotta make another cut and butter it up. grout comes next week.

Here's a pic of the set up and first fire (all the stuff has been cleared away from the unit, I just couldnt wait to fire it up haha)

enjoy

Attachments

• insert.jpg
    insert.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 422
Sounds and looks like you have been thorough with your install. Now it will be payback time in BTUs. Enjoy! and keep warm this winter.

looks real good bernie did you install a blockoff plate in the damper area to give you even more heat. i have a bi level with my insert in the lower level with a external chimney and i am installing a block off plate today.

Yes I installed a blockoff plate and added some insulation above the plate and along the caps on the side. Overall the install wasnt too bad, a little more time consuming than i anticipated but everything worked out. Too bad the temps are going to be in the upper 60's for the rest of the week :( oh well, more wood for the colder months.

This sucker really puts out some heat with the blower on. i felt some radiant heat as well while on the couch but to heat the house the blower is a definitely needed.

My dog loved it, he was out within 10 mins of the fire getting up to temp...and he slept for a while.

Just wondering what temps you're reaching, seeing the thermometer. I have recently installed the R14/I2400. It is pushing the heat, but I am finding it slow to react to the stove damper controls with a 28 ' SS 5" flex liner.

mainstation said:
Just wondering what temps you're reaching, seeing the thermometer. I have recently installed the R14/I2400. It is pushing the heat, but I am finding it slow to react to the stove damper controls with a 28 ' SS 5" flex liner.

well i have a $10 Rutland thermometer on there....its probably not that accurate but if its within 50 degrees and it keeps me from over firing it im ok with that. according to my thermometer i was around 300-325 degrees....right at the beginning of the burn indicator (thermometer has creosote, burn, and over fire indicators).

my damper seems to work just fine. i shut it down too soon and the flames died but i opened it up full throttle and you can see the embers start glowing and it eventually re-lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.