1st Catalyst Inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
After 1 month of burning my new Fireview I inspected the catalyst. It was very easy to get at. Just lift up the top, remove 2 bolts, and lift out. There was no sign of any blockage, just a little loose white fly ash that I vacuumed out.

The glass still stays spotless. I only cleaned the glass a couple times because of a couple smudges and a little fly ash stuck to it.

Very impressed with this stove. Easy to operate, little maintenance, and more heat with less wood.

All indications of operating the cat properly and burning good seasoned wood. I plan to clean the chimney once before the season and at mid season. at that time I also take the cat outvacuum the area and clean or examine the cat as need be. It has been mentioned here, that cleaning the cat is very important to efficient burning. As Todd can attest to not as big a deal as portrayed.
If all goes according to plan I will replace my VC Resolute Acclaim with an Cat Encore by next season. My Cat Intrepid preforms better than the 3 year old Resolute

Todd, I have the identical experience.

I figure my wood use is down about 1/3 with the cat.

Slickheadhunter said:
Iv'e experienced the same thing with my new Fireview,clean glass,the cat works very well and stays clean other than white fly ash.But the best thing is less wood and more heat.I also love this stove.

I sure walked around and around cat stoves back in 1985 when I bought "The Beast". I just could not talk myself into it. Replacement cats were over three hundred bucks at the time. And the most appealing cat stove at the time was the large Dutchwest Federal. Turns out the offshore Dutchwest has proven itself to be a piece of crap while the ole Sierra has kept 3,000 sq. ft. toasty trouble free all these years. But now the cats are fifty bucks apiece, damnit!

I would only have to spend three grand to use the cheap replacement cats!

I found an Encore used two seasons $500. Needs some gasketing maybe cat cleaning or replacement.
I will sell my Resolute Acclaim for equal if not more . My plan is to get 18% more heating capacity,
longer burns using maybe use a little less wood. The 18% is the real reason. Not hearing the furnace
kick on when single digits are reached. Should work fine separate 8/8 masonry flue center inside location

Now if a few delinguents pay me the money they owe me, I could pick up the stove

Todd said:
After 1 month of burning my new Fireview I inspected the catalyst. It was very easy to get at. Just lift up the top, remove 2 bolts, and lift out. There was no sign of any blockage, just a little loose white fly ash that I vacuumed out.

The glass still stays spotless. I only cleaned the glass a couple times because of a couple smudges and a little fly ash stuck to it.

Very impressed with this stove. Easy to operate, little maintenance, and more heat with less wood.

My experience is the same as those above. Takes about 5 minutes total to open lid, unbolt, vacuum fly ash, bolt in, and close up. Really easy and hardly anything in there.

Similar experience when I did my first chimney cleaning mid-season - about 1/2-1 cup of crystalline powder after brushing out our ~20 foot chimney - much less than I expected.

And I've never seen soot on the glass.

Highly recommend this stove.

-Colin

Sandor said:

Firewood consumption down 1/3 is a pretty big savings if you buy wood. What kind of stove did you burn before? Was it pre EPA?

Hi Todd,
I have been burning my new FIREVIEW for a month now, and my glass is still clean also. I just had to adjust the latch one time.
I absolutley love this stove! I havent run my heat pump one time and my back bedrooms are comfortable at night with the doors open.
I am also anxiously awaiting my electric bill (for once) so I can see how much I saved.
Just an update anyway........... ;-)

MAJ. Woody said:
Hi Todd,
I have been burning my new FIREVIEW for a month now, and my glass is still clean also. I just had to adjust the latch one time.
I absolutley love this stove! I havent run my heat pump one time and my back bedrooms are comfortable at night with the doors open.
I am also anxiously awaiting my electric bill (for once) so I can see how much I saved.
Just an update anyway........... ;-)

Glad your stove is working out for ya. My furnace hasn't kicked on at all since Iv'e been burning my Fireview either. Just received my Feb energy bill. $60 for both electric and $30 for gas. I only used .7 therms of gas, and that was because of the water heater. If I could get my 2 teenage kids to cut down on the time in the shower my therms would probably decrease by half that. I talked to a buddy of mine at work and he is on a monthly payment plan and pays $360 per month! Wow!!! Now he's thinking of wood heat next year.

Todd said:
Sandor said:

Firewood consumption down 1/3 is a pretty big savings if you buy wood. What kind of stove did you burn before? Was it pre EPA?

This is a "seat of the pants" kinda observation.

Comparing this to past Regency's, that need to run on the hot side to get secondary combustion. And, comparing to a VC Resolute Acclaim at the women's house.

We load the Resolute to the gills at night, maybe 4-5 splits to get an overnight burn. I load the Woodstock with 2-3 for an overnight burn.

I think the key is that I can burn the Woodstock less agressively and still get a clean burn.

Sandor said:
I think the key is that I can burn the Woodstock less agressively and still get a clean burn.

I'd guess this has a lot to do with having a catalyst stove. Smoke combusts at about 550*F with a cat stove, compared to 1100*F in a non-cat stove. Less heat blasting the secondary combustor = less heat going up the chimney. The soapstone probably doesn't hurt, either.

I'm glad to hear some folks touting their cat stoves this year. I was feeling really lonely here last year.

As an employee of Woodstock Soapstone, please note that it is not necessary to leave the cat bolts in place. They are only there for shipping purposes and can be discarded once the stove is installed. This will remove one step when you need to clean your cat.

rstewart said:
As an employee of Woodstock Soapstone, please note that it is not necessary to leave the cat bolts in place. They are only there for shipping purposes and can be discarded once the stove is installed. This will remove one step when you need to clean your cat.

Great! Glad to see a manufacture represented here!. Welcome! , There are lots of happy customers here.

rstewart said:

If I remove the bolts, there's nothing holding the cat in place except the weight of the cat itself? Shouldn't there be a little pressure on it for a better seal?

Todd said:
rstewart said:

If I remove the bolts, there's nothing holding the cat in place except the weight of the cat itself? Shouldn't there be a little pressure on it for a better seal?

Todd, I removed the bolts on mine after I installed it. All is well, but I only cleaned it twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.