1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

1st chainsaw (sort of) -What do you think?

Post in 'The Gear' started by BillLion, Sep 9, 2013.

1. BillLion

BillLion Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Greater Hartford, CT
    Hey all,

I've been burning wood in my fireplace insert for a few years, but just began gathering/splitting my own wood this year. I had a truckload of FREE sugar maple dropped of at my house on Friday that requires me to put down my axe/maul for a little while and use a chainsaw 1st to get it down to splittable lengths.

I was given a 14" Poulan, but returned it because it was near impossible to start. I just got this today:

Husqvarna 40.9cc 2-Cycle 16-in Gas Chain Saw
    [​IMG]

I know for many here the 16" would be too small, but it should be fine for my needs. Plus honestly I'm a little intimidated to use a chainsaw for the 1st time.

So questions:

1. Any thoughts/experience with this model?
    2. Have you found some models/brands easier/harder to start than others?
    3. Any safety advice (or any other advice) for a rookie?

Thanks -I can't wait to try it out after work!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

What model number is it?

Also, Poulan is owned and built by Husky.... same type of saws at the low end.
  3. BillLion

Loc:
    Greater Hartford, CT
    Thanks for that insight. I sure hope it starts better!

Here is the info I pulled from Lowes site: Item #: 197579 | Model #: 965167936
  4. Stihlmike

Stihlmike Member

Loc:
    Lilly pa
    Read through the posts on this forum. I found it very useful in my ventures thus far. Don't be affraid to ask questions. I have put up some questions that were no brainers for many experienced guys on here but never got any bad replies.

Be sure to have hearing protection, eye protection, and gloves at a minimum. I will be looking into some chaps and possibly a head and face shield soon, but just cant swing it right now.

Do your research on proper cutting techniques and such.
    BillLion likes this.
  5. Stihlmike

Stihlmike Member

Loc:
    Lilly pa
    Looks like a 435
    HittinSteel likes this.
  6. lazeedan

lazeedan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    Chaps! Read about kickback and how to avoid it.
    clemsonfor, BillLion and TreePointer like this.
  7. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Those are nice little homeowner saws.... similar quality to a stihl 210.
    HDRock and BillLion like this.
  8. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Watch all the Stihl Chainsaw Safety, Operation, and Maintenance videos. ALL of them.

Wear chaps, gloves, steel toe boots (or chainsaw boots), and eye and ear protection (or forestry helmet combo).
    Keep your chain sharp.
    Pick up a plastic felling wedge or three (Useful for firewood bucking, too.)

That will get you started. Eventually, you'll want to pick up a cant hook, peavey, or logjack to roll the heavy logs. Just don't get the inexpensive one with the all steel handle--it doesn't last.
    HDRock and BillLion like this.
  9. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    When cutting logs in a pile pay extra close attention to where the tip and especially the top quadrant of the bar tip is. The strongest kickback I've ever experienced was when cutting one log and not noticing that another log was behind it and my bar tip grazed the other log. This is covered in the safety videos.
    HDRock, clemsonfor and BillLion like this.
  10. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    Nice. Everything TreePointer said.
    BillLion likes this.
  11. BillLion

Loc:
    Greater Hartford, CT
    Yes, it is a 435. So I used it tonight and it was great! Unlike the Poulan it started easily and worked very smoothly for me. Thanks for the tips!
  12. BillLion

Loc:
    Greater Hartford, CT
    Thank you, I will definitely watch all of these. I have chaps, steel toe boots, gloves & glasses. I don't have ear protection yet. I used it tonight and I really enjoyed. I have a healthy fear of it, so I took all the precautions I could (I had watched some other safety videos & I'll also view the ones you linked), so I was cautious but steady. Again, I appreciate all the tips!
  13. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    That's the little saw they featuring g in the lowest flyer for $269 I don't need another saw bit looked at it as a good limbing saw! Sons worry you will get CAD eventually. Took me 8 yrs or so. But I'm there now. I started with a 64cc saw so I have been spoiled for awhile. I acquired a 45cc husky a few weeks ago. Its good as a backup and trimming as its light but do. Big stuff is painfully slow to me!

Congrats on the saw!
    BillLion likes this.
  14. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    I've tried a various ear protection solutions over the years, and these are my current favorite:

3M Peltor H10A Optime 105 Earmuff (30db NRR)

Most big box store earmuffs don't have as high a NRR and aren't nearly as comfortable. Around here Sears sometimes has them discounted to under $20. As with most PPE, ideas of comfort/fit vary with person, but any protection is better than none. Enjoy your new saw!
    BillLion likes this.
  15. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Ear plugs are cheap and better than nothing - hearing once gone does not return and the high pitch sound from a chainsaw is bad news on the ears. I use plugs and the helmet with ear muffs for double protection. Just to easy and cheap not to protect your ears.
    BillLion, StihlHead and TreePointer like this.
  16. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    Yea most ear muff or plugs are 22-23 DNA reduction.
    BillLion likes this.
  17. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Safety gear is one thing, and a good thing, but common sense and awareness is essential. While working in the wood shop with table saw, jointer, planner, what ever-
    -The rule is know where your hands are, using a chain saw is a little different you should know where the tip of your bar is, and where your body parts are in relation to where the saw is, and where it might go, and anticipate where the stress is, on the wood ,don't get in a big hurry, think about your next move, if you're getting tired take five, or quit for the day.
    IMO
    Edit oh ya, I have a Husky 445 ,I like it ,not a pro saw, but it is a good saw none the less
    BillLion and TreePointer like this.
  18. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    I do the same when I'm on my lawn tractor. It's engine is the loudest of all we've owned, so I end up wearing foam earplugs underneath my 30db NRR muffs.
    BillLion likes this.
  19. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    U might want to do some home work on tuning a chainsaw , these saws are known for running lean, as adjusted when U get it new .
    A saw running lean can get hot and score the piston ,even seize up , the bad thing is U need a adjusting tool that are kind of hard to get lately , but there are other options. Here are some threads about that,
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/splined-carburetor-adjustment-tool.106726/

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFy_KV8M4JEKgenV5z2Jhgd-SYciA

Edit ,another one http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/husqvarna-poulan-carb-tool.112918/
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    kenskip1 and BillLion like this.
  20. firecracker_77

Loc:
    Enjoy your quality saw. I don't think you need to do a thing other than make sure you are operating it safely.
    BillLion likes this.
  21. JOHN BOY

JOHN BOY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Mountains ,NC
    Keep the bar and chain out of the dirt. Might want to get an extra chain and some files. ;)
    BillLion likes this.
  22. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Even if U only have 1 saw U should know how to tune it
    BillLion likes this.
  23. firecracker_77

Loc:
    Agreed. I'm just saying he should enjoy it and not feel the need to modify it or anything.
    BillLion likes this.
  24. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I agree :)
  25. aussiedog3

aussiedog3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Have had my 435 for probably about 3 years now. Love it, no problems, Love the antivibration stuff they design into it. Like holding a little dirt bike motor in your hands.
    As I recall the warranty requires ethanol free fuel. I've been burning ethanol free in mine since new. It's good on gas. Good deal for the money I think.
    BillLion likes this.