1st chimney sweep after Progress install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HollowHill

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2009
Central NY
Just had my chimney swept for the first time since the Progress install on 12/8. Only got a cup full of very fine coffee grounds (like powder). Chimney sweep thinks one sweep a year will do it, two to be extra safe. He also installed the new door gasket and the ashlip (well, I installed one screw and was wrestling unsuccessfully with the other screw as my dh made dire predictions about the outcome when the sweep took pity on me). Unfortunately, have to wait 72 hours (!) for furnace cement on door gasket to dry before we can use the stove. Arrrrgggghhhh! There we go with that patience factor again :-/

When did you get the ash lip, HH? I technically need one as well. Although, I will say that the hearth stays very cool without one.

I swept my chimney about a week ago and had plenty of crap in it too. But, that was mostly from burning my previous stove. I won't have a comparison from just burning the Progress until spring.

Good to hear the chimney was clean! Between the secondaries and the Cat, creosote does not stand a chance with this stove.

I'm surprised the furnace cement takes so long to dry! Seems like a day should be long enough. Is this gasket thicker than the original gasket? Let us know if it fixes the smell but I guess it will be a while....

72 hours? The Rutland furnace cement that I have says to wait one hour before firing.

Good to get a clean chimney report...and interested in the Rumford fireplace!! Those are pretty cool-do you use yours?

That time on the furnace cement really seems odd. Usually a shorter time and a light fire is all that is needed. Also, there is not very much furnace cement where you are putting it and all it is used for there is filler; not to seal something.

eclecticcottage said:
Good to get a clean chimney report...and interested in the Rumford fireplace!! Those are pretty cool-do you use yours?

I did use the Rumsford fireplace...... until I put a Progress Hybrid in front of it :lol:

Waulie said:
When did you get the ash lip, HH? I technically need one as well. Although, I will say that the hearth stays very cool without one.

I swept my chimney about a week ago and had plenty of crap in it too. But, that was mostly from burning my previous stove. I won't have a comparison from just burning the Progress until spring.

I just got the ashlip yesterday, really pleased to have it installed. I like the look.

HollowHill said:
eclecticcottage said:

I did use the Rumsford fireplace...... until I put a Progress Hybrid in front of it :lol:

Haha..well..at least you DID use it. I always thought the "technology" behind it was pretty cool. Never had a house old enough to have one. I imagine the stove is more efficient :)

fire_man said:
Good to hear the chimney was clean! Between the secondaries and the Cat, creosote does not stand a chance with this stove.

I'm surprised the furnace cement takes so long to dry! Seems like a day should be long enough. Is this gasket thicker than the original gasket? Let us know if it fixes the smell but I guess it will be a while....

Yes, the gasket is thicker than the old one, I think. My chimney sweep says the old one was 3/8 and the new one is 1/2". The furnace cement was an 1/8" bead.

I will definitely let the forum know how the gasket replacement fix works, probably in a new thread.

Todd said:
72 hours? The Rutland furnace cement that I have says to wait one hour before firing.

Yep. And their gasket adhesive says one hour, 24 for full cure. I've just fired it back up after adjusting the door with no problems.

Why did you need a new door gasket after only a month in service? Also I have never waited on seal cement to dry. I've always put right into service and let it be heat cured.

Some of the Progress stoves had issues with a poor seal around the door gasket and allowed a smoky smell to seep out under certain conditions.

Right and that is being addressed right now.

Yes, to Woodstock's credit, they took this matter seriously and came up with a solution very quickly. Quicker than the #$%$# cement will dry :mad: I just never cease to be amazed at their customer service. It's MUCH better than my local shop!

Status
Not open for further replies.