1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

1st cleaning since the install....what say you?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by rwhite, Jan 2, 2012.

1. rwhite

rwhite Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Idaho
    Installed the insert about 1.5 months ago. Figured I would do the first sweep today and see what came out. About 2 cups of fluffy brown soot. I took it out to the back yard and tried to light it off with a torch. Held the torch there for a few minutes and there was nothing that would burn so I'm guessing thats good. The part that I wonder about is the underside of the chimney cap. Does anyone worry about scrubing those clean? That was the only area where there was some glazing and looked like true cresote. The 6" liner is insulated and is 18' high.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    IT sounds to me like you got the hang of it. I wouldn't worry about the bottom of the cap.

Matt
  3. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    The chimney cap is the coldest part of the system, so it makes sense that it would be the place where you would get the glaze.

It sounds like you are doing things right, so I say "yea".

-SF
  4. Adabiviak

Adabiviak Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sierra Nevadas, California
    How much wood did you burn in that time? If you only burned twice, for example, that's terrible. If you're burning once a night (so we'll say 45 burns), that seems like a lot? If you extend your creosote production per burn ratio out for a full winter*, would the buildup be excessive?

*"Winter" as in weather-cold-enough-to-warrant-a-fire-between-warm-seasons, not this botched El Niño we're currently enduring.
  5. rwhite

rwhite Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Idaho
    Guess I should have mentioned that part. Been burning pretty much 24/7 since I installed the insert. We only have had a few days of warm weather and rain in that time. Other than that it has been cold and dry here with temps in the low teens.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Not bad rwhite but you can do better and no doubt will. You got twice the amount we did when we cleaned after 2 years. That is due to very dry wood and running a cat stove. All that wood which was burned during that 2 years was split and stacked for a minimum of 6 years. However, I don't say everyone should let their wood sit that long. 2-3 years is excellent and you'll not have problems if you do that.
  7. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

+1 very good advice.

Pete