1st cleaning since the install....what say you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
Installed the insert about 1.5 months ago. Figured I would do the first sweep today and see what came out. About 2 cups of fluffy brown soot. I took it out to the back yard and tried to light it off with a torch. Held the torch there for a few minutes and there was nothing that would burn so I'm guessing thats good. The part that I wonder about is the underside of the chimney cap. Does anyone worry about scrubing those clean? That was the only area where there was some glazing and looked like true cresote. The 6" liner is insulated and is 18' high.

IT sounds to me like you got the hang of it. I wouldn't worry about the bottom of the cap.

Matt

The chimney cap is the coldest part of the system, so it makes sense that it would be the place where you would get the glaze.

It sounds like you are doing things right, so I say "yea".

-SF

How much wood did you burn in that time? If you only burned twice, for example, that's terrible. If you're burning once a night (so we'll say 45 burns), that seems like a lot? If you extend your creosote production per burn ratio out for a full winter*, would the buildup be excessive?

*"Winter" as in weather-cold-enough-to-warrant-a-fire-between-warm-seasons, not this botched El Niño we're currently enduring.

Adabiviak said:
How much wood did you burn in that time? If you only burned twice, for example, that's terrible. If you're burning once a night (so we'll say 45 burns), that seems like a lot? If you extend your creosote production per burn ratio out for a full winter*, would the buildup be excessive?

*"Winter" as in weather-cold-enough-to-warrant-a-fire-between-warm-seasons, not this botched El Niño we're currently enduring.

Guess I should have mentioned that part. Been burning pretty much 24/7 since I installed the insert. We only have had a few days of warm weather and rain in that time. Other than that it has been cold and dry here with temps in the low teens.

Not bad rwhite but you can do better and no doubt will. You got twice the amount we did when we cleaned after 2 years. That is due to very dry wood and running a cat stove. All that wood which was burned during that 2 years was split and stacked for a minimum of 6 years. However, I don't say everyone should let their wood sit that long. 2-3 years is excellent and you'll not have problems if you do that.

Backwoods Savage said:
Not bad rwhite but you can do better and no doubt will. You got twice the amount we did when we cleaned after 2 years. That is due to very dry wood and running a cat stove. All that wood which was burned during that 2 years was split and stacked for a minimum of 6 years. However, I don't say everyone should let their wood sit that long. 2-3 years is excellent and you'll not have problems if you do that.

+1 very good advice.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.