1st Cleaning using Lint Eater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dw06

Nov 15, 2010
SW Pa
Such a nice day out, I shut down stove and did a total cleaning. Even did pipe with the new Lint Eater and cordless drill. Was amazed how well it worked, and made job almost too easy! Best investment I've made for awhile. I think with the amount that came out after 5 tons burned since installed, I will do it every 2 tons or so since it is so easy to do. :)

did you remove the probe??
if not how did you go around it???

Yeah removed it to clean it too! Did part that runs out wall from inside, then closed door and went out took bottom of tee off and did the outside.

how do you get to the probe???
what is a hex head bolt??
you must have to take off some panels on the back.....

Take right rear panel off, back out the 1/4" screw, gently remove ESP. It will come, be firm but gentle.

Remove panel on lower left, it has two 5/16 hex head screws, the probe is held in with a self tapping screw. Just remove screw and pull ESP probe out. I think it was 1/4 socket. I just wiped it off with damp rag and it cleaned right up, but I did it once before so it wasn't as dirty this time.

ok thanks for the reply's..
my next cleaning i will clean it....

roadking88 said:
ok thanks for the reply's..
my next cleaning i will clean it....

Make sure you clean it with water or a glass cleaner like Windex. Never use an abrasive for cleaning the esp as it could damage it. Really easy to get at and remove, as the instructions above show.

Roadking, while you have the panel or panels off, I took all of mine off today as I tend to be all thumbs when working in tight areas, make sure to vacuum out the fine box. It is a little box with a wing nut on the bottom.

dw06 said:
.....I think with the amount that came out after 5 tons burned since installed, I will do it every 2 tons or so since it is so easy to do. :)

Glad to hear about another lint-Eater owner...it's a great tool for cleaning the pipes.

Also (IMO), 5 tons, or even 2 tons for that matter is WAY too long between cleaning of the pipe. 1 - 1 1/2 tons is the max I go.

How often do you do a deep cleaning of the stove?

imacman said:
dw06 said:
.....I think with the amount that came out after 5 tons burned since installed, I will do it every 2 tons or so since it is so easy to do. :)

Glad to hear about another lint-Eater owner...it's a great tool for cleaning the pipes.

Also (IMO), 5 tons, or even 2 tons for that matter is WAY too long between cleaning of the pipe. 1 - 1 1/2 tons is the max I go.

How often do you do a deep cleaning of the stove?

I'm sure glad I got it, was worried since rods just screw together, but they got so tight during use had a time getting a couple of them loose to take apart!
I do a deep clean every ton - ton and half including the ESP probe and fines box. Only reason pipes went this long is I waited too long to get the Lint-Eater :red: Now its so quick and easy and only takes another 15 mins at most that I will be doing it every cleaning from now on. :coolsmile:

Ordering a Lint Eater now from Amazon...

John97 said:

Just remember.....do NOT put the drill on 'reverse' when you go to remove the rods/brush from the pipe....they may unscrew and leave the brush up inside the pipe. Some people even duct tape the connectors to make sure.

imacman said:
John97 said:

Just remember.....do NOT put the drill on 'reverse' when you go to remove the rods/brush from the pipe....they may unscrew and leave the brush up inside the pipe. Some people even duct tape the connectors to make sure.

Yeah, I figured that out when I saw the threaded connectors. I was looking at the Soot Eater which could be reversed but the rods probably aren't flexible enough.

Grianger sells tubing cleaning brushes in all diameter and lengths, which are similar to lint eaters
I use a 2 inch to clean the heat exchangers
works great

Outerlimits said:
Roadking, while you have the panel or panels off, I took all of mine off today as I tend to be all thumbs when working in tight areas, make sure to vacuum out the fine box. It is a little box with a wing nut on the bottom.

I just did this today for the first time. I have burned 41 bags in my stove and there was about 1/4 cup of fines and about 20 pellets about 1/4" in length. Have you ever found pellets in your fines box?

Outerlimits said:

yeah i did that last week...hardly any fines in there..
only a few small pellets and very few fines......
i should have did the probe while i was there...lol

I've burned over a ton since my install so it's time for me to do it soon too.

I've done the fines and the stove exhaust port (and ESP) several times just because, but the entire vent is due soon.

John97 said:

I wish it was that easy for me. Canadian Amazon sucks! I have to find one in a local store... don't think it's gonna happen. I know there are several variations of the soot eater/lint eater... I want the one with the shop vac adapter, and the locking flex rods so my drill can turn both ways. I might not be able to get it though.

Hey guys i ordered mine from amazon for 23.00 free shipping ! I love it great tool ! I bought the kit came with a bunch of pieces!
i remove the bottom cap and Tap on the pipe to get out any heavy ash then run the first length up the flue then screw on second piece while its up the pipe and the brush ends up coming out of the hood now its minty fresh!!
Then i flipped over my toro ultra leaf blower and placed the suction portion right up to bottom no gaskets and blew the rest into air

Attachments

• rps20120109_181123_488.jpg
    rps20120109_181123_488.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 740
This must have been the weekend for cleaning :) My soot eater & extensions were delivered Friday and I cleaned all 25FT of the liner on Saturday. Interestingly enough, apparently not all of the Soot-eaters have locking rods. Mine is threaded. The instructions actually recommended duct tape, which I actually used to be sure I didn't loose any of the extensions as I was taking it apart section by section on the way down. The tape slowed the process down a bit, but still better than having it stuck in the pipe!

just got done mine
never had to take the probe out..
i just took my shop vac in the reverse setting and blew everything right out..
venting and the probe look like the first day...lol

John97 said:
imacman said:
John97 said:

Yeah, I figured that out when I saw the threaded connectors. I was looking at the Soot Eater which could be reversed but the rods probably aren't flexible enough.

Seems Sooteater and Linteater are made by the same company. Looks like the Pellet Stove version of the Sooteater uses the same rods as the Linteater. Too bad they don't use the chimney style connectors on all three of their products.

I bought the dryer version at my local Lowes in the appliance area, shop vac adapter and all!

Got it as an xmas gift and used it for the 1st time a week ago.
Works great, did the dryer vent as well.
This is another great thing i learned from this site.

The LintEater came today. I couldn't resist trying it out... on the dryer vent.

I got the bundle from Amazon with the extension kit. Didn't need the extension kit to do my dryer vent but I will need it for the pellet vent.

It did such a bang-up job and is so stupidly easy to use, that I can't wait to clean my pellet vent. But, I got a ways to go before I need to do that...

Bottom line: everyone needs one of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.