1st post, exhaust location question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniz

Sep 25, 2013
Marriottsville, MD
Hey all,
first post here, been lurking for a bit. I'm strongly considering purchasing a Harman p43 and doing the install myself. I'm a pretty handy guy so i'm not overly worried about the install.

My main question for the board is directed at keeping me from burning my house down. My common sense says this is a bad idea but I'd like confirmation.

Situation: Exterior wall is brick leading to a covered breezeway. External flooring is concrete with the garage aluminum siding 4.5ft away. The ceiling height is ~8ft. If I dumped right out of the wall using a 12" extension length at the height of the p43 exhaust would this be safe? I'm thinking no and plan on going up ~15ft through the ceiling and out the roof. Obviously it would be a lot cheaper to go right out the wall and call it a day.

picture, exhaust will come out on the left.

IMG_20130925_113513_432_zpscc3b4adb.jpg

Up,up and away. Could have build up issue of exhaust gases, some ash, etc.

makes sense to me. I'm in a 4 level split, if i put it in my 'basement' theater/bar room it would be an easy right out of the wall install but don't think it will do as well heating the living areas we spend our time. Going to install it between the living/dining room. Kitchen is also on that floor and then up 8 steps to the 3 bedrooms. ~1,200 sq ft at or above the level of the stove. Figuring a p43 will do just fine in that space.

quoted $2,575 plus tax today for one, seem reasonable?

stove will be installed right about where that weird owl thing and wine stand are located ( I am a sucker for handmade metal art apparently)

DSC_0662_zps4584524b.jpg

no.....don't exhaust into a covered area......monoxide, ash, smoke, etc....all bad, and messy.

Up and out, maybe, or possibly a different stove locale........if ya go up and out....go 4" pipe

$2575? not bad......we sell em for around $2599 plus tax, and that includes a ton of pellets usually......Im sure you'll love it!

That price is including the $100 off Harman is advertising right now

Here is a little diagram of where i can put it. Location A is where i'm thinking but you all think B would be able to heat the whole thing then great. Planning on using a few fans to push the hotter air up the steps to the bedrooms and also use a few ceramic space heaters in the bedrooms and theater.

Pellet-stove_zpse87476fd.jpg

my kneejerk would be B for ease of install (don't have to worry about roof leakage).....if you go A, the only good way to do it is thru the roof....gonna be spendy then......if you have a big opening from the bar to the living room, just might work........don't use the fans until you know you need you have to......I heat 2 floor with a P61...no fans....I'll give you my stove is bigger, but it also doesn't run full-out either

oh, and the $2599 I mentioned above doesn't include the $100 off...just sayin'

oh, and the $2599 I mentioned above doesn't include the $100 off...just sayin'

I will keep that in mind and it also sounds like you throw in a ton of pellets....soooooo

I could put it in the bar area where that table where 2 stools are located. My only issue there will be that might cramp the bar. i'm assuming ~40" will be taken up by the stove and hearth/pad depth wise, sound about right?

IMG_20130925_123013_436_zpsd739f9bd.jpg

The hot air would have to then travel out this direction to the next level (lr/dr/kitchen)

IMG_20130925_123225_333_zpse6a8a0d6.jpg

come on over! i'm in marriottsville, MD

collected that stash from the housewarming party and a wedding we had here.......good times! No better way to stock the bar, there is actually as much below as in that photo....and 7 quarts of apple pie moonshine for a camping trip this weekend.

Reactions: smoke show
Status
Not open for further replies.