1st real scrounge - not what I expected

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wulybgr

Feb 23, 2007
Port Orchard WA
A quick intro:
Brand new to the firewood thing. I have been lurking around this forum for a few months now, and thought that I would post my experience from today. I do not have a way of efficiently burning yet (el cheapo zero cleareance fireplace insert), but will be installing an insert this summer. As far as my current wood stack (25' long X 48" deep X 5' tall mix of Alder, Hemlock and Fir) I was able to grab quite a bit of wood from my nieghbor last Fall. My wife thinks I am crazy with his wood thing, but she is tired of outrageous propane bills. I keep telling her that you can never have enough wood - wood is like money in the bank!

Now on with the story
I responded to several Craiglist adds for free firewood. 2 of the 3 ads that I responded to had already been claimed,but the third looked promising. A lady had 4 trees down on her property about 7 miles from my house. Perfect. A couple of emails back and forth and I had we have a plan - show up at 6:00pm today and take a look at what she has and probably return on the weekend if I want the wood.

I show up at 5:50 - little early. I brought my gear with me to take the 1st load with me since Iw as already there. Only problem - no one home. I waited around until 6:30 with no luck. The trees that were down were obvious, but I certianly did not feel comfortable doing anything until I had a chance to talk to the owner. She had not really given me permission and this was just a chance to talk things over, so I headed back towards home disappointed.

On my way home I am across a house that had several large Hemlocks as well as some other trees down, probably from the big Feb storm we had. I decided I would try and salvage the trip and see if I could pick up the wood that this guy had down. I pulled into the driveway and introduce myself to the couple as they enjoyed a beer on their deck. I asked if I could have the wood and his response was sure as long as I don't hold him liable i anything were to happen. We set up a plan for me to swing by Sat AM and get to work. I think I'll bring a 6-pack and some homade smoked salmon as a thank you. The wood that this guy has is several times what the craigslist lady had. Seems like a pretty good score. Looks like there was quite a bit of wood down in his neighbors yards as well. Future scrounging!

So anyways - thank you all for all the posts you all have made. I have learned alot from this site. I am sure that I will be soon be asking lots of questions about choosing and installing a wood insert, but until then time to do some more scrounging.

Steve

Great deal.

I've run across similar deals myself (in fact, brought home a cord or so the other afternoon) and it really does benefit everyone involved. The person with the tree would otherwise have to pay someone to come in and remove it, and you get the wood.

A few things to keep in mind:

* before you start, make sure you and the homeowner agree on what to do with the small branches and stuff that you don't want for your wood pile. I'm always up front and say that I have no way of disposing of it, but would be more than happy to bring it to the curb if the town picks it up, or bring it to a brush pile on the property somewhere. I've never lost a deal as a result, and many times they just chip it up themselves after I pile it neatly.

* If it's going to be a multi-day job, make sure to clean up as you go. I always try to get the small branches cut off and piled up neatly, twigs raked etc... before I start bucking the bulk of the tree. Give the homeowners what *they* want first, before working on what *I* want.

* Pack a wheelbarrow. Even if the homeowner says I can drive on the lawn, I don't. I suppose I'd think differently if the tree in question is a half mile behind the house somewhere in a field, but in general the trees that people just want to get rid of are right near the house.

It's a small world, and trees fall all the time. If you give the homeowners more than they expected they'll remember and will give you a yell the next time too. If you're lucky they'll tell their friends :)

-Hal

You mention alder, fire, and hemlock and follow up with salmon. I am assuming you're from the northwest. Good to get another local on the site. Hemlock is supposed to be a pretty low btu wood with much lower energy content than doug or alder. Not quite as bad as cottonwood though. Don't split it too small and don't be shocked if you go through it pretty fast. Maybe in addition to craig's list you can call the local tress service. The wood I have piled up now are from three 36" diameter trees fallen by the tree service, he charged them to fall the trees and then I helped chip the limbs in exchange for the firewood and free use of the power splitter. I suspect that there are many folks with trees being cut down that don't know how or what to do with the huge amount of firewood.

The three cords should be a great start to this years fuel. I would be sure to keep cutting until that stack is twice as long or more.

Highbeam - You're right I am from the NW as well. I live in Port Orchard. Thanks for the local advice.

Looks like I will have a full wekend of bucking wood.

Steve

Scrounging does sometimes take a different turn than one expects. I recently saw a big tree cut down and lying in pieces in someone's front yard. Went up and asked if we could have some of the wood. They said the really big chunks to one side were available. (The smaller stuff was for a guy who was going to do make wooden deer out of them.) Asked about plugging in our chainsaw, etc. Went Thursday to get it, well, the wood was much bigger than I had initially thought, so we couldn't cut it all up, but got a lot of it. Was talking to a young man there and he said they had cut down some apple trees in the backyard about 3 years ago, were we interested in them? Was too far away for the electric chainsaw (yes, we have to get a gas one soon!) but I cut some lengths off with the bowsaw. We dragged them up and cut them up. Turned out to be very good stuff, dried enough to be burnable right away after cutting up, but with almost no punky bits (just where an end had sat on the ground.) Great find, as we are getting very low on dry aged firewood, and it keeps getting colder.

Only problem I have with my new role in life as a firewood scrounger is that some of the beauty of nature has vanished for me. I see a big stand of old trees, and sometimes I just see future firewood. ;-) Sort of like how the Led Zepplin song being used in a Cadillac commercial has kind of ruined it.

Definetely a good point to explain to the homeowner what to expect. I've had one person complain to me afterward I didn't vacuum the wood shavings from my cuts when I was finished. I also tell them what I'm going to do. Some homeowners don't know you'll actually be "cutting" it on their property, I've also told some I'll take the wood and will be up Sunday to pick it up and in the meantime they decided to cut it for me into 10" lengths. I take it with a smile, and thanks and gripe on the way home 10" lengths!!! Ugh!!!

I would explain to them that you'll be cutting it up on their property into xyz lengths (incase they decide to help ahead of time), if you plan on leaving the branches tell them what the diameter your cut off is so they have an idea of what will be left, and inform them that you plan on leaving the wood shavings from the chainsaw which usually disappear in a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.