1st scrounge! Now I need to ID some wood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CombatChris

Mar 27, 2014
Central NC
Hello, all!

I just picked up my 1st scrounge and got all that I could carry... literally! The alarm in the Home Depot truck rated to 3,000 lbs went off and I had to pull 2 logs out.

So I was given first refusal on the trees from a lot which had been cleared- I might have only picked up 1/6th- more likely it was an 1/8th or 1/10th of what was on the ground. I took the best looking, straightest, and as close to 16" items as I could find.

Here's what I picked up, the 3 species. Any ideas as to what they are exactly?

2014-04-06_11-04-21_302.jpg 2014-04-06_17-17-03_209.jpg 2014-04-06_17-17-10_704.jpg 2014-04-06_17-17-21_208.jpg 2014-04-06_17-17-29_611.jpg

I also learned a few things. 3,000lbs looks like a lot less than the truck claims it is, so bring a trailer. Bring a ruler, or 16" metric. Bring more water!

Yellow Poplar, Beech, and Soft Maple.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Elm, Beech, and Elm. Did you split any yet?

Yes! This stuff is all wet - if I gauge when it was cut by how old the CL ad was, it's been down less than 5 days. I cut up a ~14-16" round of what's in picture #2 (the 1st pic with a round in it). Wet, white, and cracked loud when the X27 sank in. I don't plan on needing anything but the X27 for this. Kind of a personal challenge.

I think I'm going to make a notebook with pictures of all the different types of wood I'm bound to run into and include the BTU chart - and take that with me on all future scrounge missions.

Reactions: 7acres
Hickory, beech and ?

I'll put up some more pictures- clearer and showing it once split so you can see the insides as well. Sounds like the only thing truly in agreement is the beech - which turns out I should have loaded up on since it's pretty high on the BTU/cord list.

Yellow (tulip) Poplar, Beech, and Soft Maple.

Looking at that first picture, there is still lots of wood standing! Wonder why they cut them off so high?

Looking at that first picture, there is still lots of wood standing! Wonder why they cut them off so high?

I would guess to have leverage to pull the stumps?

Most likely that as I can see no other reason.

I'd like to know how your x27 does on beech thinking about getting one. I use an 8# er I bought from rural king. It splits most anything except beech and sycamore( go figure) lol

There is definitely poplar in the first picture, and I think that second picture is an older poplar tree (the bark is smooth on a young one, but gets deeper and rougher as they get older), but it could be other things.

The one with the fiskars in it could also be poplar, but it could be some other stuff.

The fourth picture is beech, I would just about bet money on that.

The fifth picture the log that runs left to right is a young poplar. The bottom log is beech. The top left looks like older poplar. The top right is ?????? let's go with soft maple :)

Welcome to the scrounger club.......it is fun.

I'd like to know how your x27 does on beech thinking about getting one. I use an 8# er I bought from rural king. It splits most anything except beech and sycamore( go figure) lol

Well, no pics today but I did get some splitting in. 2 swings to cleanly split a 8-10" wet beech round. One each for the smaller pieces I cut it into.

I split some green poplar that was out in the open its whole life today, and let me tell you that the older I get the more I know that it is not just species that determines the difficulty of something to split.

That stuff was stringy and took 3 - 4 swings per round (and the DBH on the tree was 14") with the x27.

Two weeks ago I was splitting white oak that had 26" DBH with about the same effort per split......

However, having owned an 8# maul for 10 years and now a x27 since December........I rarely will ever use the maul again. It it a little better if the x27 tends to STICK in a round, otherwise, same number of swings to split and I tire less quickly. A win - win.

I've got to say something about the wood on the left in picture #5. It's got a spiral grain, which my dad brought up might be sweet gum. Man, that stuff will give you a workout. And good thing I've got the Fiskars hatchet too so I can use it up slice away so much of the stringy stuff. Yes, even in 100% straight rounds the wood is twisted and difficult. Does noodling mean you chop off the edges? If so, noodling away!

2,Sweetgum; 3, Tulip; 5, Red Maple (small one on the botton, Tulip.) Sweetgum is about un-splittable...

Sweetgum is about un-splittable...

It makes it's own kindling when splitting!

I'm not going to ditch it, I'll just split what I can by hand and save the rest for a splitter which my neighbor is going to have in a few weeks.

Sweetgum is about un-splittable...
Except with a hydraulic splitter or wedges.......

I was reminded of this today when I decided I would get this little sweet gum log (6" across at the widest point) and split the little rounds in half to promote drying.....pffft, give you one guess how that went......

Last one looks like elm

Status
Not open for further replies.