1st shoulder season burn!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
It was a bit chilly today so I fired up the stove! I need to practice this whole shoulder season thing, I had all but burned myself out of here after the first reload.

The good (great) news is that the splits of bradford pear I threw on were seasoned! I was really worried about this as these are what Im hoping to use for the majority of the winter to try and not touch the oak I have set aside for next year. I would just but a load but I know anything I buy around here will be just as green if not worse than what I split last winter.

Im pretty impressed with the bradford, especially for as easy as it is to come across around here.

Great, and glad the pear seems ready to go! Just had my first small fire to drive any moisture out of my soapstone. Just some kindling and 2 very small splits. Managed to go from 67 to 69 in the house - not bad for a tiny fire. Not too cool out yet - only fired up to be sure I could crank some heat whenever needed. The stones should be good to go now. Next fire might be Wed - 52 for a high and 32 low predicted. Cheers!

I put about a half load in the stove this morning, lit the fire and let it burn out. It kept the house plenty warm all day. I just loaded up again. This time I might reload once before I hit the sack. It is damp and aroun 45 degrees here.

i loaded tonight to...for the wife..and man i wish i wouldnt have..windows now open...looks like i wont be burning for about the next 10 days anyways

NH_Wood said:
Great, and glad the pear seems ready to go! Just had my first small fire to drive any moisture out of my soapstone. Just some kindling and 2 very small splits. Managed to go from 67 to 69 in the house - not bad for a tiny fire. Not too cool out yet - only fired up to be sure I could crank some heat whenever needed. The stones should be good to go now. Next fire might be Wed - 52 for a high and 32 low predicted. Cheers!

Thats when Im planning on my first also. I think it warms up for the weekend, maybe I can get some work done around the house, seems to rain every day off I get :mad:

My would be nice to have warm temps. I have been burning 24/7 for close to a month already. Will be snow on the ground here in another week or two.

We're having some friends over tonight, so I'll be doing my 1st shoulder burn to take the chill and dampness out tonight.
cleaning out the stove and chimney today. I hate winter, but I love not having to pay the oil man!

Remmy122 said:
It was a bit chilly today so I fired up the stove! I need to practice this whole shoulder season thing, I had all but burned myself out of here after the first reload.

The good (great) news is that the splits of bradford pear I threw on were seasoned! I was really worried about this as these are what Im hoping to use for the majority of the winter to try and not touch the oak I have set aside for next year. I would just but a load but I know anything I buy around here will be just as green if not worse than what I split last winter.

Im pretty impressed with the bradford, especially for as easy as it is to come across around here.

Two mistakes . . . during the shoulder season I do not do any reloads . . . even if it still seems a bit chilly in the house . . . generally I bring the woodstove up to temp with that one and only load . . . and then the heat radiating off the stove keeps the house warm for most of the rest of the day. It's hard to do, but you have to avoid the temptation to load it up again . . . at least until it turns really cold and we get beyond the shoulder season.

Second . . . fruit wood is often considered to be among the best of the BTU wood . . . I'm not sure if this is the case with Bradford pear . . . but if you have any punks (punky wood -- but dry or "junk" wood that has low BTU value like pine, poplar, etc.), chunks (short pieces) or uglies (mangled pieces that will prevent you from loading the firebox to the gills) I would use this wood. Save the better BTU wood for when you need the truly hot, long lasting fires.

I think Jake has it right - shoulder season is the time of year when you don't reload the stove as the fire burns down. If you feel the need to reload, it isn't shoulder season anymore.

If pear is your shoulder season wood, I wonder what you have ready for the cold part of winter.

I think you guys have it right, I also dont think I really had any business starting a fire. It wasnt nearly cold enough.

The pear isnt my shoulder season wood, my shoulder season wood is some slightly punky birch and poplar but I had to see where the pear was. It was plenty dried and that makes me happy.

Have the BL sitting for when its really cold.

Remmy122 said:
I think you guys have it right, I also dont think I really had any business starting a fire. It wasnt nearly cold enough.

The pear isnt my shoulder season wood, my shoulder season wood is some slightly punky birch and poplar but I had to see where the pear was. It was plenty dried and that makes me happy.

Have the BL sitting for when its really cold.

There's nothing wrong with experimenting a little . . . even though I kind of gave you a hard time (well as hard a time as I would) . . . my own belief is that this is a good time to experiment a little and learn your stove and the wood . . . better that you find out whether the wood is good or bad (seasoned vs. unseasoned, how it burns, etc.) now vs. waiting until when you really need the heat.

First burn of the season, from two nights ago, in my relatively new (installed last year) fireplace.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 176
Just lit her up tonight for the first time this season. She is already in mid-season form.

Attachments

• 2011-10-05 19.20.15.jpg
    2011-10-05 19.20.15.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 138
Going down to 41F around here tonight. Colder In Icey Hollow. Both stoves will be lit tonight.

Leaving the house plants outside until the weekend, how ever. No frost expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.