1st summer with the pellet stove... dampness inside the stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

md2002

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2011
United States
I have an Milan insert and today I noticed that the inside of the stove (the ceramic wall near the hole wear the pellets drop down) looks to be wet. I'm guessing it's condensation and I'm looking to verify it? Anyone have any ideas to what it could be. Couples things you should know.

1) I have yet to give it a good cleaning yet
2) We had our 1st few hot days in a row
3) I have a house fan that I've been running for the past few days and this is when I notices it. Coincidentally when I use the house fan I can smell a strong odor of smoke. I'm guessing this is the house fan pulling air from the chimney
4) I have not plugged up the pipe yet at the top of the chimney.

Why the dampness in the stove? I plan on getting the stuff mentioned here and putting it in the stove and hopper I just haven't got around to it yet.

If you can smell the soot from the vent pipe I'm guessing your stove can feel the humidity. A sealed air kit for the stove would help. get the stove cleaned and seal off the vent. You should be able to snap off the venting from the back of the stove with the quick release clip and close up a plastic bag when you reconnect. DO NOT FORGET ABOUT THE BAG IN THE FALL! perhaps unplug the stove and put the cord in drawer with a note attched to remind you about the plastic in the vent.

If you can smell the soot from the vent pipe I'm guessing your stove can feel the humidity. A sealed air kit for the stove would help. get the stove cleaned and seal off the vent. You should be able to snap off the venting from the back of the stove with the quick release clip and close up a plastic bag when you reconnect. DO NOT FORGET ABOUT THE BAG IN THE FALL! perhaps unplug the stove and put the cord in drawer with a note attched to remind you about the plastic in the vent.

Agree 100%... You have Humid air coming in the vent (and OAK if applicable).

I would also spray the inside of the stove with Pam cooking Spray. Some use WD-40, but I used it a few yrs ago and the Pam seems to stick better.

Agree 100%... You have Humid air coming in the vent (and OAK if applicable).

I would also spray the inside of the stove with Pam cooking Spray. Some use WD-40, but I used it a few yrs ago and the Pam seems to stick better.

I've seen people talk about this before but I'm not sure what it mean, I did intend to do it but can you clarify? Do I literally take Pam and spray the whole inside of the stove? Ceramic walls, burnpot, ash pan ect.?

I've seen people talk about this before but I'm not sure what it mean, I did intend to do it but can you clarify? Do I literally take Pam and spray the whole inside of the stove? Ceramic walls, burnpot, ash pan ect.?
They are not ceramic walls, they are cast metal in your stove.

If you are already blocking off the vent pipe, I would just put a desiccant inside the stove and call it a day.

Down here in the southwest we dont have the problem people back east do but i have also seen people put towels inside the stove for any moisture that could build. Again not sure it will work where you are!

It takes the moisture out of the air. I use DampRid and you can just get it at Home Depot or even the grocery store. I would do the leaf blower trick after you've thoroughly cleaned the stove, then seal the vent pipe up, then put the desiccant in the stove. I just checked mine, and even with the high humidity, no signs of moisture.

What's a desiccant? And I'm assuming I block off the pipe after the leaf blower trick.. correct?
Damp rid is a great desiccant (moisture absorber)

100% agree with the statement from newf lover above. And if you wanted to be extra safe. . . Use Pam or WD-40 on all interior walls and passages. The longer you prevent the rust the longer the stove will last...

Just think about a rusty old truck.. What of someone would have washed and waxed it a few extra times??? How much longer would that steel body have lasted?? Takes a few minutes to take proper precautions, to ensure a longer life for the body of your stove. Motors and blowers can be replaced. But that firebox cant..[

Status
Not open for further replies.