1st time poster with a new stove and a question too!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlyMan

Jun 7, 2011
Scarborough, Maine
Hi Guys -

Last week we became the proud owners of a Quadrafire Mt Vernon pellet insert. We had a decorative heat propane fireplace which we hadn't used for 3 years. It looked good, but didn't put out any heat. I yanked it out and started looking for something to fill the hole with. I'd been researching this forum and any other website I could find for info and opinions. I had narrowed my choice to the Harman Accentra or the Quadrafire Castile inserts. However, when the technician from Maine Stove and Chimney came out for a site inspection, he said that because we have a 18' cathedral ceiling directly above where the stove would go, neither of those choices would provide enough heat for the main floor of our home.

So, despite the fact that the Mt Vernon costs a lot more money than the other units, we decided to bite the bullet. The people at Maine Stove and Chimney did a great install (they had to remove all of the propane flue pipes and replace them with pellet pipe - another rather large expense!) I built my own mantle pad and did the tile surround. My Bride and I are happy with the look of the stove (reminds us of our old Jotul woodburner we used to have and the thing really outputs the BTU's!)

Anyway, to my question. Would a battery backup / surge suppressor like the kind I have hooked up to this computer work with the Mt Vernon? The unit I have attached to this computer will run the computer and monitor for about an hour when the power goes out.

Here's a shot of the new bundle of joy -

_MG_1544.jpg

Thanks all...

EarlyMan

Awsome install and welcome to the site...you will learn stuff here you never thought to ask!!...as far as the UPS..be sure to have lots of extra capacity (at least double the watt load of the stove with the ignitor on) and you probably need one that gives you a clean sine signal.....best to test and try before laying down some bucks!!

What do you want the supressor/ups/backup to do????? Yeah, it will work as a surge protector. The ups/backup should give you time to do a controlled shutdown of the stove, if
A. You are home
B. You are awake
C. When the power goes out, you start shutdown, rather than, "Well, maybe the power will come back in 10 minutes"

It probably won't run your stove overnight unless you have lots of battery backup hooked up to it.

BTW, welcome aboard from down the coast a ways.

Welcome to the site, and congrats on the new insert....it looks great!!

As for the UPS/surge protector, they are a good idea for pellet stoves, since it allows an orderly shutdown of the stove when the power goes out, minimizing any issues with smoke coming back into the house.

As peirhead mentions above, get plenty of extra capacity. I bought one that was slightly above what I thought I needed, wattage-wise, to run the stove for a little while, but it proved to be too small and the motors wouldn't run right. Typically, unless the one you have for your computer is VERY large capacity, it may not be enough.....computers, printers, modems, etc don't pull anywhere near what the stove will.

But in any event, make sure to have a GOOD surge protector hooked up.

1st off. Welcome to the Forum. Wonderful site they have here... You read enough already to know. WE LOVE PICS... Very 1st Post and your bringing the Pics, well done.

Yes on the Surge Protector. As others stated. You will need a LARGE UPS to fit the bill. Beautiful install. Depending on your total square footage, the Castile or Advance may have done the job. My buddy has a Smaller Breckwell and he has Cathedral ceilings throughout his entire home. More than 2,000 sq ft.... Either way, you got a BIG stove, It looks fantastic, and you have came to the right place for Info. Congrats, she is a beauty....

Hello

Very nice install. I like your tile and mantle work!

What was the price of propane in your area?

My propane was $1.90 per gallon when I got the Heat N Glow SL-550-TRS-D with auto pilot.

Now it is $3.52 per gallon. So I do not use it as much. Since I got the Heat N Glo, I installed a wood pellet stove in the basement to heat the whole house!

Attachments

• MediaCenter630sc.jpg
    MediaCenter630sc.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 400
  • PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 250sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 250sc.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 400
I believe the MT Vernon will run straight off of DC so for the battery back up all you need is a cord and deep cycle battery. For the surge protector any quality one would do fine.

Correct me if I am wrong anyone.

Thanks

Bob

Very nice looking install, buddy. Welcome to the forums and make sure to ask lots of questions as you go along. Also, I'm very happy you found a dealer that gave you great service.

Countryboymo said:
I believe the MT Vernon will run straight off of DC so for the battery back up all you need is a cord and deep cycle battery......

Bob, you are correct......all that's needed to run the stove w/o AC power is a deep cycle 12V battery. Quadrafire lists a "12 volt cord" as an accessory for this stove.

Still need a good surge protector though.

Status
Not open for further replies.