1st timer advice - Bought the Enviro M55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eholmes

Sep 24, 2009
Pinckney, Michigan
Allright, sorry for another which stove question. I've done a weeks worth of reading through the boards so, I feel somewhat informed. The members here seem very helpful so, here goes.....

Background: This will be my 2nd year in my 1800sq foot ranch in snowy (hopefully), cold Michigan. The house has a woodstove (my primary heat) and I went through a little less than a full cord of wood per/month Dec-Feb. It has electric heat that I left turned all the way down but, since I could'nt keep the stove going while at work, overnight, etc, the electric would kick on when the house went below 50 deg - adding higher electric bills ($100 more / month than summer). I could handle the mess, work, hassle of the woodstove, my Florida significant other cannot. This will be her 2nd winter in Michigan and more warmth, less hassle with kindling, stoking the fire every 2hours will go a long way to keeping her happy!

My first goal is to have something equivalent to the heat-out put of the woodstove but, can keep more even, idle on warm during the night and while at work so the electric bill is low. Reliability is key. This is my primary source of heat and 20deg - minus 10deg is the norm. I've done the reading that maintanence is key and I can handle that but, need a good solid stove from the get-go. The ability to hook to a thermostat would be good. I like the idea of multi-fuel (not sure about storing corn - we have alot of critters allready). I will be in this house and have this stove for a VERY long time so, making an investment is OK.

I like the features and look of the Enviro Omega. It seems the maintanence might be a little easier for a 1st time owner. The price is a little bit above what I was looking for but, as I said, it'll be around for awhile. I plan to visit the Enviro dealer this weekend. What other stove should I consider? What stove would fit my requirements but, maybe cost a little less? If I disregard the multi-fuel option, what stove would be up there for reliability, low hassle, less maintanence?

Thanks for your replies in advance......

xcbike&ski; said:
...... The price is a little bit above what I was looking for but, as I said, it'll be around for awhile......What other stove should I consider? What stove would fit my requirements but, maybe cost a little less? .....

Thanks for your replies in advance......

Hey xcbike&ski;, welcome to the forum. I just switched from a "regular" pellet stove to a multi-fuel unit. This is what I got, and it seems to be a really nice unit. www.englandsstoveworks.com/10-cpm.html
It's also probably much less than the Omega, $$ wise.

I bought mine through a guy on eBay that sells re-furbed units that come direct from Englander w/ full factory warranty, & free shipping. Not sure how much you've read on this forum, but one of the members, Mike Holton, is a regular here, and is also the Senior Tech at Englander who is the person responsible for re-furbing the stoves. I just got mine yeaterday, did the pre-burn, and everything seems great. I'll be posting pics in a few days after it's all hooked up.

Don't get me wrong, the Omega is a great stove, but it's also pretty $$. Forum member JTakeman has one, and loves it.

Here's the link to the stove I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TimberRidge-Mul...3ca5d65c57&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_2094wt_953

I just got my second stove and to tell the truth I am a litlle disappointed with watching it burn. We have a Harman that has the bottom feed system and when its running there is a nice looking fire. The used Quadrafire we just got has no such look as it just drops pellets into a burnpot and makes a bunck of sparks while its blowing out the pellets embers. The sove is in our family room where we spend a of time. I have actually looked at other Harman stoves just so we could have a nice looking fire. It will probably not happen with the costs of buying and selling another stove, but it would be on the top of my list the next time.

Bkins

nice stove mac, is englander now changing designs to a one drop feeding auger and not 2 like my current 25-pdv ?

I have an Omega, The heat is awesome and so far there are no issues with it. This will be my second year with it. The heat exchanger is LARGE, So more of the heat stays in the house and Not blown out the exhaust. I actual use less pellets with the Omega that when I had the Breckwell BigE.

I can go more than 2 weeks without opening the door on the stove. No cleaning needed. But I get bored and don't have anything better to do. So I still clean once a week. But I don't have to empty the ash pan for at least 1 month.

I heat 2000sq+ home on 3.5 to 4 tons. And I am at a disadvantage with my stove in the basement. So I have to overheat the basement a tade. But my house is nice and warm on the coldest of days

Right now the multifuel option is lacking, But hopefully in the future we will see more added. I did find some switchgrass pellets and it burned them nicely(once I set it up correctly). I also burned corn for a bit. The stove burns it nicely.

IMO you would be happy with the Omega. Still cheaper than the Harman P68 and you have the multifuel option.

jay

geek said:
nice stove mac, is englander now changing designs to a one drop feeding auger and not 2 like my current 25-pdv ?

Yep, as far as I can see, it's one auger.

Bkins said:
I just got my second stove and to tell the truth I am a litlle disappointed with watching it burn. We have a Harman that has the bottom feed system and when its running there is a nice looking fire. The used Quadrafire we just got has no such look as it just drops pellets into a burnpot and makes a bunck of sparks while its blowing out the pellets embers. The sove is in our family room where we spend a of time. I have actually looked at other Harman stoves just so we could have a nice looking fire. It will probably not happen with the costs of buying and selling another stove, but it would be on the top of my list the next time.

Bkins

I love the sparks, would be boring without them, LOL.

jtakeman said:
I have an Omega, The heat is awesome and so far there are no issues with it. This will be my second year with it. The heat exchanger is LARGE, So more of the heat stays in the house and Not blown out the exhaust. I actual use less pellets with the Omega that when I had the Breckwell BigE.

I can go more than 2 weeks without opening the door on the stove. No cleaning needed. But I get bored and don't have anything better to do. So I still clean once a week. But I don't have to empty the ash pan for at least 1 month.

I heat 2000sq+ home on 3.5 to 4 tons. And I am at a disadvantage with my stove in the basement. So I have to overheat the basement a tade. But my house is nice and warm on the coldest of days

Right now the multifuel option is lacking, But hopefully in the future we will see more added. I did find some switchgrass pellets and it burned them nicely(once I set it up correctly). I also burned corn for a bit. The stove burns it nicely.

IMO you would be happy with the Omega. Still cheaper than the Harman P68 and you have the multifuel option.

jay

Jay - Enviro just came out with the M55 - all the best features of the Omega and some great new ones- going after the Harmon with this one - I just got in the field testers results. New ignition system - extremely short ignition times - wood pellets ignition in less than 1 minute.

Agitator and Burn Pot Liner
New SS LOST WAX Cast Agitator - Better quality materials and high precision casting with a one piece design. ( just looking at the agitator you tell it is a very high quality cast part. "Lost Wax Casting" is the way jet engines and also sculptures cast their work. More expensive but the best...)

New Agitator Chain drive system
Split Capacitor Motor with larger impeller so the motor doesn't have to run as fast to create same flow rate - much quieter

Fuel note: did burn corn in it for 1 1/2 days and it handled it fine with an acceptable layer of easy to remove grey crust and no hard glass type of residue. Ran it on high for 4-5 hours and it burns hot with corn!! Even on a lower setting it was impressive how much heat was coming out..

This is one awesome stove 55,000 BTUS and burns everything.

macman said:
geek said:

hey, your stove is not officcial "registered here until we see pics....:)

so, post a couple pics......

pelletdude said:
Jay - Enviro just came out with the M55 - all the best features of the Omega and some great new ones- going after the Harmon with this one - I just got in the field testers results. New ignition system - extremely short ignition times - wood pellets ignition in less than 1 minute.

Agitator and Burn Pot Liner
New SS LOST WAX Cast Agitator - Better quality materials and high precision casting with a one piece design. ( just looking at the agitator you tell it is a very high quality cast part. "Lost Wax Casting" is the way jet engines and also sculptures cast their work. More expensive but the best...)

New Agitator Chain drive system
Split Capacitor Motor with larger impeller so the motor doesn't have to run as fast to create same flow rate - much quieter

Fuel note: did burn corn in it for 1 1/2 days and it handled it fine with an acceptable layer of easy to remove grey crust and no hard glass type of residue. Ran it on high for 4-5 hours and it burns hot with corn!! Even on a lower setting it was impressive how much heat was coming out..

This is one awesome stove 55,000 BTUS and burns everything.

Pelletdude,

I have heard about it but haven't seen it yet. I dought I will see it locally this year. Can't wait to check one out!!!

jay

Jay

Will have it in the Shop Tomorrow. I will post some picks when it gets installed.

Look into St. Croix. I have one and cant imagine a better stove. I'm sure there are equals but the St. Croix is very high quality and looks great.

geek said:
macman said:
geek said:

hey, your stove is not officcial "registered here until we see pics....:)

so, post a couple pics......

I know, I know :down: , but I'm waiting for an appliance adapter to come in before I can set the stove up and take pics. Plus I made some appearance "mods" like i did with my Astoria.....just dress-up things. I'll get the pics out ASAP so the stove will be "official", and really happened. :lol:

Well, I can't find an Enviro dealer in Michigan at all. I guess I have to call Enviro direct. I tried their dealer locator but, both those listed had that line taken away........

The Englander looks like a nice stove but, I want to deal with a dealer that will install it, make sure it's running right, and be there if there's a problem. I steered clear of the big box stores because around here it seems they just sell a couple cheap models for show. Don't think they'll be dependable as a "dealer"

Went to visit one stove dealer, pretty much the only one I could find and was'nt impressed. He tried to steer me to a Breckwell Big E and did'nt have much else to show. I'm sure it's OK but, seemed overpriced for an older model.

I'm getting a bit frustrated and it's getting cold in the mornings..........

You should spend as much time researching the dealer the stove will come from as you do the stove itself. All of the stoves mentioned will be usless if the dealer has lousy service and installation, no matter how good they are.

Well, I finally found an Enviro dealer about 2hrs away and went to check it out today. I was leaning towards the Enviro M-55 and he happened to have one on the floor. I put a down payment on it - should be about a week. He literally had a line - waited for about 20min he was so busy, good to see. The guy ahead of me bought the M55 too.

It is a very solid stove. The burn pot, agitator, heat exchanger, all very robust construction. Can't wait, the other day it dropped to 58 deg in the house and I was searching for the dryest kindling in the rain............

Congrats xc,

Welcome to the world of multifuel. I am sure you will be pleased with it. I really like the fire it has.

Don't forget, It's not official till we see some photo's.

Keep us posted!
jay

xcbike&ski; said:
Well, I finally found an Enviro dealer about 2hrs away and went to check it out today. I was leaning towards the Enviro M-55 and he happened to have one on the floor. I put a down payment on it - should be about a week. He literally had a line - waited for about 20min he was so busy, good to see. The guy ahead of me bought the M55 too.

It is a very solid stove. The burn pot, agitator, heat exchanger, all very robust construction. Can't wait, the other day it dropped to 58 deg in the house and I was searching for the dryest kindling in the rain............

Congrats on the M55 purchase! As you can see by my post of the M55 First Burn - it is an awesome stove. Can't wait to see your install picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.