1st timer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ppirtle

Oct 7, 2011
West Central Indiana
Looking to i nstall a pellet insert. Have some concerns. I have an old house that has been remodeled.
1. I have a chimney that is in the middle between two rooms. You can walk around the whole chimney. If i install an insert how do i clean the chimney since the old chimney does not have a clean out on the back of it?
2. Existing chimney is 27ft. Is 4" pipe enough to drop down in and get a good draft?

Greetings Chief! Welcome to the forum.

There's quite a bit of information in the forum. The following post provides information on vertical lengths for a 4" pipe. I believe 33' is the max.

ehkewley said:
Greetings Chief! Welcome to the forum.

There's quite a bit of information in the forum. The following post provides information on vertical lengths for a 4" pipe. I believe 33' is the max.

Don't confuse EVL with physical length. 4" will work fine, and to the OP welcome to the forum and I assume since you are installing an insert there is already a fireplace attached to that chimney.

Care to provide a bit more information but normally the insert would be slid out and cleaning take place after disconnecting the venting from the insert.

You will not clean the chimney any more after you installed the insert plus liner up the chimney wall, you basically only clean the insert of the pipe. You disconnect the pipe from th estove and then clean the pipe from top to bottom. In order to do that you pull the insert forward and during that time give the whole pellet stove insert a good clean as well. in my area the stove dealer does that kind of annual maintenance for about 180 USD.

If you get inventive you can run two liners through it and install a free standing in your second room and go through the same chimney ? You will not heat the second room with the fireplace anymore (which was probably the original idea of that set up ?).

Status
Not open for further replies.