1st Year Burners: Stove Purchased, Wood Burned, Lessons Learned?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
michiganwinters said:
We purchased and installed a PE Summit last fall.
#5 - I am glad that we went with an oversized hearth. Its a corner unit and we extended the hearth out 20" from the stove. great for keeping debris of carpet & and perfect place for my hubby to sit and drink hot chocalate after working in 10 degree, blowing snow weather all day.

Love the stove, love wood. Thanks for your help in making that decision:)

That's a VERY nice hearth!

We bought a PE Summet a month ago, for next year's use. It's not installed yet. We are looking forward to it. We were going to set it inside the fireplace, but it looks so good sitting where it is now that we decided to install it there rather than in the fireplace. (We have been using a wood furnace in the basement and a pellet stove).

Ken

Rich, thanks for the post as your situation is quite similar to mine, even the two young kids.  I am looking at a few different models: Regency I3100, The Napoleon 1402, and the Quadra Fire 3100i.  The price is attractive on the Napoleon, however the Regency dealer described the Napoleon as an inferior product.  What was your experience in shopping?I also live in a Colonial, approx. 2800sf.  You say you were able to heat up and down in your house.  Is that with a fairly open floor plan?

Thanks.

Rich_CT said:
Since this is my first post, lurking is a pretty good description of my activity on hearth.com to date.  This web site is an excellent resource for anyone considering the purchase of a wood stove, insert, etc.We live in western CT and had a Quadrafire 3100i insert installed in late February of this year.  Went with a full 20' ss chimney re-line. We've burned about one and a half cords in the 6 weeks or so since the insert has been installed. Lessons Learned:1 - Quadrafire claims that the 3100i can accept 18" lengths.  While 18" will fit loaded diagonally, 16" cuts are really the longest that you would want for straight-in loading.  This wasn't too much of a surprise to me, as I read the reviews of the Quad 3100i on this site before buying the insert.2 - Do as I say, not as I do... My 2 young children (so far) have heeded my warnings about staying away from the insert.  Dad on the other hand, learned the hard way.  One evening, I sat on the hearth and accidentally leaned on the insert and received a nice burn on my arm.3 - Based on what I burned this year (cord wood/not skin), I estimate that I'll need 4-5 cords for next season.  So far, I've split 2 cords in prep for next year.  I will be getting another 2 cords of cut to length rounds delivered in about a week.  I split the first 2 cords with an 8lb maul and some wedges.  The first cord which was mostly red oak and some beech, was not too tough to split.  The second cord which was mostly cherry (I think) was really difficult to split.  I may rent a splitter for the next 2 cords of rounds.  I'll also have to consider buying a splitter at some point.  Next year's investment perhaps.4 - I've got stacked piles of wood all over my property!  Right now, I don't really have one spot where I can stack all of the wood that I will need.  My wife is not too pleased about the lovely  variety of green, blue and silver tarps I've selected to cover them with.  I'm going to have to plan this out a bit better for 09-10 season.  Perhaps I'll try to build a couple of holz-hausen or even a wood shed, at some point.5 - We have a 2 story colonial and the insert has done a good job of heating the first and second floor. Before the insert was installed, we kept the house at 64-65 degrees. We still had some cold days in March and the insert had no trouble keeping the house at 69-70.  The finished basement however is really cold, now that the (oil) boiler rarely runs.  6 - I didn't plan on having to add a hearth extension.  I made my own 2'x4' extension.  I screwed 1/2" cement backer over the existing oak flooring and used 12x12" ceramic tiles trimmed with oak quarter round.  I haven't grouted yet, but it turned out nicely, if I don't say so myself.7 - Our oak mantel is pretty low.  One of the options I selected was a mantel shield.  Some day I might raise the mantel or invest in a non-combustible mantel.  I'd like to remove the shield so that I can put a cast iron steamer on the top of the insert.  Once I remove the shield, I'm pretty sure there is enough surface area on the top of the insert for a steamer.8 - Other items on the to buy list are: gas powered  chainsaw (I have a small electric saw which is ok for small trees & limbs), magnetic thermometer so I can measure insert temp and a vinyl chimney brush, etc. so I can clean the chimney liner myself.  I don't have any regrets, except that I wish I had purchased the insert sooner.  Based on how little heating oil I've used in 6 weeks, I expect that the insert will pay for itself in 2-3 years.  I'm very happy with the Quad 3100i and with the dealer/installer. My one comment about this specific insert, is that I wish the variable speed blower was standard. I did purchase the optional blower.  However, it is not temperature actuated like similar units that come standard with a blower.

We store our wood outside waayyy out of sight. Then once a week or so we load up the 4x4 truck with wood and take it inside our attached garage (28x32) where we store our lawn tractor that has a large buggy attached. Then we just bring in a what ever we need to keep a good fire going from the buggy. I dont want to store wood inside warm home, Im afraid the bugs will come back to life and invade our house.....LOL. We just keep the mess in the garage and sweep it out every month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.