1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

$2.99 Coal Scoop

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jadm, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey USA
    Thanks, looks like a good choice. Low cost/price too, I'll have to look for other goodies so the shipping cost doesn't double the cost of the Koal Keeper. I'll look for a "hoe" type tool there, for moving ash around the firebox, any recommendations n that tool?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Lowell

Lowell Member

Loc:
    Central OH
  3. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey USA
    Looks about right, couldn't get the picture to expand for better viewing...may be due to traffic. Looks like another good site for tools, but too bad one can't get both tools on the same site. Not trying to be too...cheap, but it bugs me to pay a 60%+ cost increase to handle shipping... it us usually much less per item when more than one item is ordered.

But, thanks you have provided access to affordable tools on my list of "nice to have".
  4. Lowell

Lowell Member

Loc:
    Central OH
    Yes, I was disappointed I couldn't find both from same source. I ordered Koal Keeper and Ash Can/Shovel-shipping chgs $7.61 which wasn't too bad. I'm glad you found these sites helpful.
  5. ChipTam

ChipTam Burning Hunk

Loc:
    SE Michigan and Trinity, Newfoundland
    While we're on the topic of coal scoops and ash shovels, does anyone know of a source for a short-handled ash shovel? My Jotul 3 TD cannot keep a fire going through the night so I don't need to separate live coals from the ash. I remove only fine ash after a couple of days of burning. However, the long handles on the typical ash shovel are awkward to use with a small firebox. I suppose I could cut off a portion of the handle but that would expose some very sharp edges. Something like those old-fashioned small metal shovels used in children's sand boxes would be ideal.

ChipTam
  6. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Gotta love how they mix descriptions. To me that's an ash hoe. A rake has teeth. One generally rakes the coals forward and leaves the ashes behind using a coal rake. An ash hoe is for cleaning out ashes.

I've been looking for a combination hoe and rake. Solid on one side and teeth on the other. Turn it which ever way suits the task at hand. They make such a thing for gardens. I think I will have to make my own.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.