2 BK Princess Insert or 2 Osburn 2200 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My princess insert is installed in a 13 foot chimney and I haven't had any problems. I don't have a liner. What problems would you have with poor draft???

What's really confusing is all 3 local contractors are telling me similar things, no block-off plate and no insulation needed. The 3rd contractor came highly recommended too. Yet, I am getting different advices on this forum.

Hi rook_ki, I probably won't answer your question but at least know that you are not alone. I just talked to my 3rd highly regarded contractor, and all state that a block-off plate and liner insulation are not needed. In fact, the last quy told me he has only insulated one liner in 14 years.

Now...my insert will be in a cabin where it doesn't get bitterly cold for long periods of time like most of the locales in this forum. It is located in northern AZ, in about 6000 feet of elevation. That's pretty much the explanantion I have been getting and I guess it makes some sense. However, where you are located I would think that the winters are a little more severe.

I think the bottom line is: Are the liner insulation and block-off plate worth the extra money (labor & materials) and peace of mind to you? Also, if the contractors are saying they are not required, do you really want them installing them anyway? Part of me thinks that the contractors don't like doing them, and I really don't want a contractor doing something for me that he doesn't want to do. In my case I am trying to keep the project within a tight budget, and if the liner/block-off aren't essential, I will put the money else where.

My 2 cents (no pun intended). :) Dan

I'm in a similar situation. No stove yet, but trying to learn. I have a short chimney on an exterior wall and have been told the following:
One dealer said he stuffs insulation around the top and bottom and the dead air insulates the rest. He suggested trying without an extension and add one if there is any problems. I was not comfortable with the dead air insulation since its a pretty cold climate.
The two other dealers recommended 1/2 insulation around the whole liner. They also thought an extension would make sense although they could go either way with that.
From what I've read either 304 or 316 if fine for wood. Thicker is nice if there is space and no bends.
I need to emphasize that I have zero experience, so my opinion isn't worth much - but it is a data point.

Tom

I have a short chimney on an exterior wall
I highly suggest 1/2 insulation. I have never installed a liner with out insulation for a wood stove. It is just better all around, better draft, less creosote build up, and it is UL listed. The only negative is it is more money. But for safety and performance, 250$ isn't bad to protect your home and family, and it burns better!

100% use insulation, all the way, not just sections of the liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.