2 borometric dampers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newyorker

Feb 6, 2014
Geneva,ny
I have a caddy wood furnace and a 15ft insulted 6"indoor chimney with baro all the way open I can only get the draft to .05 is says max .04 its not even windy today is it possible the manometer is wrong or may I need two barometric dampers

Attachments

• IMG_20141119_101833_183.jpg
    IMG_20141119_101833_183.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 180
Dampers reduce or limit draft, not increase it.

EDIT: Sorry I think I misread your post. Are you sure you calibrated it right? I likely wouldn't worry if that's as high as it goes.

I leveled it and zeroed it and adjusted damper all the way

Sounds like the Dwyer should be OK then.

I would not be expecting to see that much draft with a chimney that length with a damper open and no wind blowing though. I have next to none showing with no wind blowing and damper closed on my 30' stainless chimney when the fire is out - it goes up close to 0.1 with the fire going and same conditions (damper closed), and it will fall right off if I maunally open the damper (with no wind). Is this with a fire going full bore in the furnace?

Its a decent fire not full bore

When I close baro it goes up to .09

Last edited:
Did you zero the manometer before hookup? I can't for the life of me see a draft that high on a 15' chimney. A baro with our 32' lined chimney takes it down to its necessary setting of .06. The draft won't stay that high, especially when the damper closes and the flue temps decrease. I wouldn't worry, even if it's s little higher it will be okay.

When I disconnect the line it goes to zero

Where is the Dwyer hooked to your piping at? Got a pic?

OK, never mind - I think I see it in the first pic? Copper line above baro? The Dwyer should be hooked in between the baro & the furnace - ie., looks like it's on the wrong side of the baro. So it's not reading what the furnace is seeing.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
I can move it but I think it would still be the same? Am I wrong?

Correct me if I am wrong but a manometer is a pressure gauge which can be place anywhere in pipe

No - what the Dwyer is seeing is the draft the chimney is seeing downstream of the baro. It is not seeing the effect the baro is having on the draft the furnace is seeing. The draft will be much higher where the dwyer is plugged in. Picture all the air the chimney is sucking in through the baro - the Dwyer sees all that air going by, the furnace does not.

I will move it in the morning thank you!

Good eye maple! Yep, manometer needs to be between the baro and the appliance. Try to put it in the middle of a straight section of pipe so any turbulence from elbows/tees doesn't mess with your readings.

i feel like a idiot i spent a fair amount of time bending the copper and doing a beautiful job and i have to cool the furnace down and do it all again lol

Well, it does look good! ;lol No worries...it happens, heck, I do stuff like that sometimes even though I know how it is supposed to be, just get too many things goin on in the ole noggin I guess...

Maple is correct on the sampling location. Good eye bud.

What is the total height and diameter of the flue you're working with?

Status
Not open for further replies.