2' chimney extension added -

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Okay all you fire loving gurus, tell me what to expect:

Oslo installed 2/10 - burned it thru the end of last season. Started up this year, still purring right along. Ah, ha - recently realized the install was not correct and hounded the stove shop to come back and add 2' more height to my chimney. Previously I had 13' rigid SS (insulated) connecting to two 45's to the stove.

The only change was adding the additional 2' to the top of the chimney flue.

Question #1: What should I expect as far as any operational changes?

Question #2: The 2' they added was SS single wall. Is that the correct material to use?

Shari

Shari, single wall is fine to use as a test but not to leave there. I actually doubt that you will even notice a difference though but it so, it will be very slight.

So why are you having this added? Are you not getting draft? Yet you burned in February, March and April with it along with this fall.

Backwoods Savage said:
Shari, single wall is fine to use as a test but not to leave there. I actually doubt that you will even notice a difference though but it so, it will be very slight.

So why are you having this added? Are you not getting draft? Yet you burned in February, March and April with it along with this fall.

I had it added because the furnace flue and stove flue were exactly the same height and only about 1 foot apart. I requested the additional height due to concerns about possible back drafting carbon monoxide into the furnace flue. I wasn't having any draft problems but the Jotul manual states a minimum 14' chimney - I had only 13' chimney plus two 45's.

You said single wall should not be left there - then what should be used?

(This is an interior masonry chimney, clay tile lined with 6" insulated SS.)

Shari

I just did the same thing today but mine was extended 18". I used single wall and I think as long as you burn dry wood there shouldn't be a problem. As you know my install came up a little short as well and looking at my burns and air settings I'm thinking an extra 18" won't hurt any. Yes, it would probably be better to be insulated up there but if you burn dry wood I don't think there will be a problem. Once the cold weather returns I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Since I have a small pitch roof I can go up there and check for build up frequently. I'll keep you advised on what I find.

I extended mine 4 feet triple wall.

Insulated will have less build up as it will not cool as quickly. If you have little creosote at end of year then I would go with it. You did say it was stainless. As far as operational I would guess that you will not notice a big change in fact the benefit will be when the weather is radical such as a very windy day. Should help on stopping back drafts and your pipe was very short. Good addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.