2 Chimney Fire Stories ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewboy

Oct 8, 2008
Lakes Region, NH
A friend of a friend had a liner installed by a local company earlier this season. Apparently she burns a lot of wood and my buddy was telling me she usually has the stove unbearably hot. Well she ended up having a chimney fire and after all was said and done the insurance company found that the liner that was installed was too small - not sure what kind of set-up she has but I know she hasn't been able to use the stove this month. She contacted the installers and they pretty much told her that she wasn't getting her money back ... until they heard the "lawyer" word. She is still waiting for everything to be repaired correctly. Not by them, though...

-Story # 2 - This one is scary!!

My buddy has a Dutchwest installed in the basement of his center chimney cape - new stove as of 2 years ago. He has been burning wood for years and definitely keeps on top of his equipment. He was upstairs the other night and heard what sounded like someone hitting the side of the house with a bat. He went outside and looked around, stove seemed to be fine too - nothing out of the ordinary. A few minutes later the sound of Big Papi hitting one out of the park ... Outside again - nothing, checked the woodstove again and realized a faint rushing sound in the chimney. Shut everything down, Outside again - he said there was absolutely nothing abnormal about the chimney - no flames, excessive smoke... Called fire Dept. , went inside and emptied the stove. He said his cleanout door started glowing orange ... How scary is that?? He lives a little far out in the boonies and when the FD arrived with the lack of anything spewing out of the chimney they actually didn't think it was a chimney fire ... until they saw the cleanout door and heard the homerun derby in the flue. They tried a chem fire ext. in the cleanout and had absolutely no effect.
Out came the pressurized water and the steam finally put it out. Needless to say the chimney is junk now, it actually cracked the blocks outside the liner too.
It turns out that the fire was only at the base of the chimney - his thimble sticks into the flue a couple inches (as does mine) creating an area under the thimble that wasn't getting cleaned with regular sweeping. Makes you step back and think...

There's one more good reason to end the thimble flush with the side of the flu...

Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire said:
A friend of a friend had a liner installed by a local company earlier this season. Apparently she burns a lot of wood and my buddy was telling me she usually has the stove unbearably hot. Well she ended up having a chimney fire and after all was said and done the insurance company found that the liner that was installed was too small - not sure what kind of set-up she has but I know she hasn't been able to use the stove this month. She contacted the installers and they pretty much told her that she wasn't getting her money back ... until they heard the "lawyer" word. She is still waiting for everything to be repaired correctly. Not by them, though...

My buddy has a Dutchwest installed in the basement of his center chimney cape - new stove as of 2 years ago. He has been burning wood for years and definitely keeps on top of his equipment. He was upstairs the other night and heard what sounded like someone hitting the side of the house with a bat. He went outside and looked around, stove seemed to be fine too - nothing out of the ordinary. A few minutes later the sound of Big Papi hitting one out of the park ... Outside again - nothing, checked the woodstove again and realized a faint rushing sound in the chimney. Shut everything down, Outside again - he said there was absolutely nothing abnormal about the chimney - no flames, excessive smoke... Called fire Dept. , went inside and emptied the stove. He said his cleanout door started glowing orange ... How scary is that?? He lives a little far out in the boonies and when the FD arrived with the lack of anything spewing out of the chimney they actually didn't think it was a chimney fire ... until they saw the cleanout door and heard the homerun derby in the flue. They tried a chem fire ext. in the cleanout and had absolutely no effect.
Out came the pressurized water and the steam finally put it out. Needless to say the chimney is junk now, it actually cracked the blocks outside the liner too.
It turns out that the fire was only at the base of the chimney - his thimble sticks into the flue a couple inches (as does mine) creating an area under the thimble that wasn't getting cleaned with regular sweeping. Makes you step back and think...

Sounds like the chimney sweeping may have stopped at the pipe thinking that was the bottom of the chimney. A few inches of extended pipe will make the brushing harder but the bristles should bend and deflect enough to get by. Be safe.
Ed

The thimble shouldn't project into the flu pipe, creates a restriction. When you do a thimble, you should make 1/2 inch cuts at the end you're sticking into the flu. Like cutting in a BDD. When you put it into the flu, bend them out from the inside at a 90 degree angle and pull it back against the edge of the flu. Mortar in the hole around it and you're done. Nice and flush... no restriction in the draft.

LeonMSPT said:
There's one more good reason to end the thimble flush with the side of the flu...

Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire said:

Status
Not open for further replies.