2 cords of White Oak free, you cut and haul.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glenng

Nov 9, 2006
This is what I have been working on this week. I only see a tree like this every few years. This one tree will provide 4 years of firewood for us. Thought some of you might like to see this.

Glenn

fred033-1.jpg

YOWZHAA!! Even your pup looks worn out just watching you. That's one heck of a stump there. Are you going to tackle that too?

Holy cow...I could never attempt a tree like that. Back in the day I could roll rounds like but not anymore. Anyways good for you ...4 years of wood in one take.

hope you have a 36" bar! you can bore cut that from 4 sides, wedge them and then cut the rest so as not to pinch the bar..and how is it that you only burn 2 cords in 4 years??

Wow, that is one huge tree! Why did they cut it down, was it dead or dying? Great score for you, White Oak is great firewood!

Heck, it appears that even your dog is laughing at ya for taking that monster on!! Just joking (but it does look like your dog is laughing). That is one big SOB of an oak. Good find, but it makes my back hurt, just looking at it.

Oh yeah, sure. You put that miniature diecast model truck full of twigs and that tiny dog there and then stood really close to that little tree and snapped a pic, didn't you? C'mon, fess up! Rick

Ooofa- that's a tree, alright...................

I still want to know how you plan on cutting that stump up

Nice Grab!! How do you like your Napoleon 1400p pedestal? Been thinking of buying one. I think the 1400 may be to big for my small house? I have 1000 sf. 500-600 of which is open floor plan The rest is bedrooms {2} and bath. Is it built ok? Ash pan work right? Any surprises? It's a long long drive to look at one. So i will be ordering on-line. Good class A chimney already installed, from the old smoke dragon that I removed when we bought the house. Any feedback would be great!! Thanks for your time. Jay

This tree was dead and located on an estate property so the owners wanted it gone. I rarely take on jobs this big but since it was white oak I took the job when asked.

TO cut the stump I will use my 066 with a 36 inch bar. I wil make my cuts 16 inches apart and use a splitting maul to cut break the splits free from the stump. The stump is 80+ inches so I can not cut thru. I will take some pictures monday as I started the dreaded process of taking down the stump.

I estimate that this one tree will yield 10 to 12 cords of wood. So far I have hauled 5 cords and it seems I have not made a dent in the wood thats onsite.

I really like my 1400. Its easy to use and toasty.

Glenn

10-12 cords! wow, now that is a huge tree! I thought you said 2 cords..must have mis-understood. Thats awesome!

Adirondackwoodburner said:
10-12 cords! wow, now that is a huge tree! I thought you said 2 cords..must have mis-understood. Thats awesome!

AWB - I was actually trying to guess the age of a white oak of that size. I would guess it is probably around 250 -275 years old. I know of several around here that are probably 42 -48" DBH, that are in the 150 year range, so at 80+ inches, that would be my round about guess (could be up to 300 years).

damn, the stories that that tree could tell!

Maybe glenng cut down the wrong tree. :bug: Rick

whats going on in Oregon? I have family out there in the Airforce.

whats going on in Oregon? I have family out there in the Airforce.

Oh, well, here in Central Oregon we seem to be stuck in The Winter that Time Forgot. Looking for overnight temps tonight around 16*, with a chance of some more snow, and a snowy/rainy weekend. Wherever your folks are, I hope they're staying warm. Rick

I sure hope you un chain the pup from the truck Before you drive home.
One BIG tree but, I would rather have 10 24 inch trees than One the size of that hernia in the making.
Mike

Now that's super sized for sure. Looks like four trees in one trunk. :)

I suppose taking on that stump is the price you pay for the privilage of the rest of the tree. That is one beast of a stump. Bet it will be one bear of a job. Good luck with it!

Just vertically saw off 18 inch or two foot long chunks about 1 ft thick, from the outside until it gets smaller & smaller & then one day it will be down to a 36 inch diameter & you can finally cut straight thru it.

This way, you might actually be able to pick up the wood without two other guys to help you.

Otherwise,you are going to have some huge knarley knots for your log splitter to try to split
through & the cuts will be really really heavy for you to lift by yourself. Remember, hernias are
more expensive that chain saw fuel.

Good luck, i sure wish it had been me that landed that tree. I would have run through 20 gallons of two cycle fuel & 8"x8" x24" that sucker down to size, even if it took me all month.

P.S. Use a chain saw with a anti vibration handle & keep your chain razor sharp & lots of bar oil
but you already knew all that, didn't you! :p

mtarbert said:

LOL, actually "Fred" is teathered to a big firewood split with a 30 foot leash. It gives him plenty of room to move around but if he catches a scent the split will slow him enough for me to keep up. BTW the tree stump makes Fred looks like a runt but he`s actually 42lbs and only 16 weeks old. 1/2 Lab 1/2 Golden Retriever. He`s going to be a big fellow, he should be good at draging brush to the chipper when he grows up.

I should have made myself more clear. 2 cords is just the stump. The rest of the tree has about 8-10 more cords. Lots of wood.

An added benefit is the tree has been dead for a few years and the wood is very dry and will require very little seasoning. As with many guys in their first year of heating with wood , my wood supply to date has not been well seasoned and causing me fits and frustration. With my new found firewood next year should be a great year for me and the new Napolean stove.

glenng said:
mtarbert said:

LOL, actually "Fred" is teathered to a big firewood split with a 30 foot leash. It gives him plenty of room to move around but if he catches a scent the split will slow him enough for me to keep up. BTW the tree stump makes Fred looks like a runt but he`s actually 42lbs and only 16 weeks old. 1/2 Lab 1/2 Golden Retriever. He`s going to be a big fellow, he should be good at draging brush to the chipper when he grows up.

:bug: In my younger days my mother would tie the dog to the car. I remember once when I jumped into it and got to the gas station 5 miles away the attendent (unheard of now) asked my what was that chain hanging behind the car.....oppps......I looked at it and it was the dog chain with a collar but no dog....so your idea is a good one. The dog did drag back home in a day or so and not really bad shape. Must have slipped out of the collar at an early stage. Life is full of surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.