1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

2-Cycle Oil

Post in 'The Gear' started by Jacktheknife, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Jacktheknife

Jacktheknife Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakota, Iowa
    I'm fairly new to small engines and after doing some research I still feel the need to ask-- what types of 2-cycle oil are acceptable to use in a Stihl Ms250 I am using Poulan Weed Eater 2 Cycle Oil in my Poulan weedwhacker, which has a fuel stabilizer in it. Will this work? Is there one oil I can use in both?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Wildo

Wildo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    jackmanistan, maine
    AMZOIL for all
    Pallet Pete, charly and MasterMech like this.
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Your Poulan oil is likely a 40:1 mix which will work in the Stihl. I prefer (and Stihl recommends) a 50:1 mix to keep carbon deposits and smoke to a minimum.

Oil to run both? My experience is that Poulan should be fine with a quality 50:1 oil like Stihl HP Ultra (a very good synthetic oil). Other options are even leaner, Opti2 and Amsoil Saber Professional, both mix at 100:1 (80:1 if you get every last drop out of the package, ;) ). I am currently running the Saber Pro in all of my 2-cycle equipment with zero issues. (FWIW: My equipment is all Stihl spec'd at 50:1 except the 031 and my HF 2-cycle generator.) Going to do the crank seals on my 034 soon so I will pull the muffler and check for scoring/scuffing. That cylinder/piston was perfect prior to the switch in oils.

Side Note: I run my HF genny on 50:1 currently as it is still on it's 2nd tank of fuel. I started it up new on the 100:1 Amsoil and wasn't happy with how hot things were getting. I'm guessing the machine work is a little rough on that one and the fit may be a bit tight yet as well. I will try going back to 100:1 after I've run a couple more tanks through it. My brand new SH86 (Stihl) ran 3-4 tanks of 100:1 through it with no issues.
  4. Jacktheknife

Loc:
    Lakota, Iowa
    I am use to the bottles that let you draw up as much as you want so you can mix at different ratios for different equipment, do any of the ones you recommended offer this kind of setup?
  5. Wildo

Wildo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    jackmanistan, maine
    negative
  6. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Stihl used to sell their baseline conventional oil in that kind of package. AMSOIL does not, tho I wish they did, but I do like the little "pillow-packs" to mix 1 gallon of fuel.

Opti-2 does sell in that type of package.

http://www.jagorequipmenttoolandsupply.com/products/template.asp?item=1292

Having multiple mix-ratios around for different equipment, unless absolutely necessary, would drive me batty.
    TreePointer likes this.
  7. Wildo

Wildo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    jackmanistan, maine
    sometimes they are absolutely necessary , my eskimo ice auger runs like crap on 50:1 but screams on the recommended 32:1
  8. Jacktheknife

Loc:
    Lakota, Iowa
    Would only have two different mixed cans around-- the saw and the whacker. Then the big ten gallon can of straight gas that mowers run off of and mixes filled from-- the gas stations that sell 87 are not close and the push mower will not run on .
  9. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

That's 1 too many for me! ;lol

9 individual tools and 1 can to feed them. ==c (That's just the 2 cycle, we won't even talk about my tractor habit..... ::P)
    Wildo likes this.
  10. Jacktheknife

Loc:
    Lakota, Iowa
    The weedwhacker isn't a concern of mine unless it breaks. I got the old lady trained to refill the little bottle that came with it and mix it in the 1 gal gas can. She can start it and everything.
    MasterMech and Wildo like this.
  11. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    I use Stihl Ultra at 50:1 in all my 2-cycle air cooled engines these days. Various string trimmers, hedge trimmers, small rototiller, blowers, chainsaws, pole saws--it doesn't matter. If you look in their manuals, you will see different mix ratios as you go back over the years. The engines haven't changed much in terms of their lubrication requirements, but the oil has improved dramatically. The bottom line is that if you use a modern 2-cycle oil designed for air cooled engines, you chainsaw and string trimmer will be fine.

There are exceptions for extreme use like chainsaw milling or those mentioned above, but I'm doing just fine with 93-octane and Ultra at 50:1 and regular use. Mix enough so that you'll consume all of it within a couple/few months.
  12. thetooth

thetooth Member

Loc:
    East Coast
    If you buy a 6 pack of the Stihl ultra oil when you buy your chain saw it will double the warrenty .
  13. jlightning

jlightning Member

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    So if I were to run stihl mix 50:1 in my saws, my 15 year old pro Echo weed whacker, and my craftsman weed whacker i should be ok? The Echo manual says either 50:1 w Echo oil mix or 32:1 w/ other brand of oil? The Chraftsman says to use 40:1 and from experience it only likes the premixed 40:1 but i havent tried the stihl mix. It would be nice to just use the stihl mix!
  14. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I will sometimes run a 50:1 engine on 40:1 but I don't like going the other way. The engine is designed for a certain amount of oil in the mix, more will lubricate but burn a little dirty, too much more (32:1 in a 50:1) might make the engine run very hot. Less (50:1 in a 32:1) will probably damage the engine after a while.

KaptJaq
  15. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Yes, that will work fine.

Or you can buy more expensive oil and use it in both. No reason to have 2 separate mix cans.
    smokinj likes this.
  16. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    50:1 with modern oils in everything.

I personally run between 40 and 45:1 in all my 2 stroke equipment because my saws are ported and I don't feel like having 2 separate cans of mix.
  17. oilstinks

oilstinks Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    western NC
    +1 stihl ultra in everything i got.
    TreePointer likes this.
  18. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Just the 50:1 Stihl mix should work fine in all of that. Keep in mind I'm running a 35 year old Stihl 031 on 100:1 mix right now. Was originally spec'd for 32:1 I believe. (I don't have a manual for it. :() It has cut several cords of wood since being born again, ;lol, It should've locked up a long time ago. ;)
  19. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Most important part with 2-cycle oil is......Make sure you put it into the gas.
  20. oilstinks

oilstinks Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    western NC
    lol. funny but very true.
  21. wh401

wh401 New Member

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    I run Amsoil Sabre at 80:1 w/ 89 in everything...chainsaws, blowers, trimmers, you name it. I've been doing that since 2008 and everything runs/starts like a champ.
  22. DuckDog

DuckDog Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    I run either Amsoil or Opti-2 in everything I have. Opti-2 has been easier to get locally so that is what I have run for the last year or so. Chainsaw, string trimmer. ice auger, boat motor. I would never go back to mixing different ratios for different equipment. Now I always have the right one and gas never gets stale.
    albert1029 likes this.
  23. nate379

nate379 Guest

I use whatever is cheap. Walmart brand, Pooland brand, etc... Don't really care.
    HittinSteel and smokinj like this.
  24. charly

charly Guest

Amsoil 50:1 ,, 1 can for all ,, keep it simple,,, 20 years zero oil related problems,nuff said.:p
    MasterMech likes this.
  25. f3cbboy

f3cbboy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    rockland county, NY
    so true...my sister just straight gassed my br 550 and smoked it.