2-Cycle Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacktheknife

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2012
Lakota, Iowa
I'm fairly new to small engines and after doing some research I still feel the need to ask-- what types of 2-cycle oil are acceptable to use in a Stihl Ms250 I am using Poulan Weed Eater 2 Cycle Oil in my Poulan weedwhacker, which has a fuel stabilizer in it. Will this work? Is there one oil I can use in both?

AMZOIL for all

Your Poulan oil is likely a 40:1 mix which will work in the Stihl. I prefer (and Stihl recommends) a 50:1 mix to keep carbon deposits and smoke to a minimum.

Oil to run both? My experience is that Poulan should be fine with a quality 50:1 oil like Stihl HP Ultra (a very good synthetic oil). Other options are even leaner, Opti2 and Amsoil Saber Professional, both mix at 100:1 (80:1 if you get every last drop out of the package, ;) ). I am currently running the Saber Pro in all of my 2-cycle equipment with zero issues. (FWIW: My equipment is all Stihl spec'd at 50:1 except the 031 and my HF 2-cycle generator.) Going to do the crank seals on my 034 soon so I will pull the muffler and check for scoring/scuffing. That cylinder/piston was perfect prior to the switch in oils.

Side Note: I run my HF genny on 50:1 currently as it is still on it's 2nd tank of fuel. I started it up new on the 100:1 Amsoil and wasn't happy with how hot things were getting. I'm guessing the machine work is a little rough on that one and the fit may be a bit tight yet as well. I will try going back to 100:1 after I've run a couple more tanks through it. My brand new SH86 (Stihl) ran 3-4 tanks of 100:1 through it with no issues.

Your Poulan oil is likely a 40:1 mix which will work in the Stihl. I prefer (and Stihl recommends) a 50:1 mix to keep carbon deposits and smoke to a minimum.

Oil to run both? My experience is that Poulan should be fine with a quality 50:1 oil like Stihl HP Ultra (a very good synthetic oil). Other options are even leaner, Opti2 and Amsoil Saber Professional, both mix at 100:1 (80:1 if you get every last drop out of the package, ;) ). I am currently running the Saber Pro in all of my 2-cycle equipment with zero issues. (FWIW: My equipment is all Stihl spec'd at 50:1 except the 031 and my HF 2-cycle generator.) Going to do the crank seals on my 034 soon so I will pull the muffler and check for scoring/scuffing. That cylinder/piston was perfect prior to the switch in oils.

Side Note: I run my HF genny on 50:1 currently as it is still on it's 2nd tank of fuel. I started it up new on the 100:1 Amsoil and wasn't happy with how hot things were getting. I'm guessing the machine work is a little rough on that one and the fit may be a bit tight yet as well. I will try going back to 100:1 after I've run a couple more tanks through it. My brand new SH86 (Stihl) ran 3-4 tanks of 100:1 through it with no issues.
I am use to the bottles that let you draw up as much as you want so you can mix at different ratios for different equipment, do any of the ones you recommended offer this kind of setup?

negative

I am use to the bottles that let you draw up as much as you want so you can mix at different ratios for different equipment, do any of the ones you recommended offer this kind of setup?

Stihl used to sell their baseline conventional oil in that kind of package. AMSOIL does not, tho I wish they did, but I do like the little "pillow-packs" to mix 1 gallon of fuel.

Opti-2 does sell in that type of package.

http://www.jagorequipmenttoolandsupply.com/products/template.asp?item=1292

Having multiple mix-ratios around for different equipment, unless absolutely necessary, would drive me batty.

Reactions: TreePointer
sometimes they are absolutely necessary , my eskimo ice auger runs like crap on 50:1 but screams on the recommended 32:1

Stihl used to sell their baseline conventional oil in that kind of package. AMSOIL does not, tho I wish they did, but I do like the little "pillow-packs" to mix 1 gallon of fuel.

Opti-2 does sell in that type of package.

http://www.jagorequipmenttoolandsupply.com/products/template.asp?item=1292

Having multiple mix-ratios around for different equipment, unless absolutely necessary, would drive me batty.

Would only have two different mixed cans around-- the saw and the whacker. Then the big ten gallon can of straight gas that mowers run off of and mixes filled from-- the gas stations that sell 87 are not close and the push mower will not run on .

Would only have two different mixed cans around-- the saw and the whacker.

That's 1 too many for me! ;lol

9 individual tools and 1 can to feed them. ==c (That's just the 2 cycle, we won't even talk about my tractor habit..... ::P)

Reactions: Wildo
The weedwhacker isn't a concern of mine unless it breaks. I got the old lady trained to refill the little bottle that came with it and mix it in the 1 gal gas can. She can start it and everything.

I use Stihl Ultra at 50:1 in all my 2-cycle air cooled engines these days. Various string trimmers, hedge trimmers, small rototiller, blowers, chainsaws, pole saws--it doesn't matter. If you look in their manuals, you will see different mix ratios as you go back over the years. The engines haven't changed much in terms of their lubrication requirements, but the oil has improved dramatically. The bottom line is that if you use a modern 2-cycle oil designed for air cooled engines, you chainsaw and string trimmer will be fine.

There are exceptions for extreme use like chainsaw milling or those mentioned above, but I'm doing just fine with 93-octane and Ultra at 50:1 and regular use. Mix enough so that you'll consume all of it within a couple/few months.

If you buy a 6 pack of the Stihl ultra oil when you buy your chain saw it will double the warrenty .

So if I were to run stihl mix 50:1 in my saws, my 15 year old pro Echo weed whacker, and my craftsman weed whacker i should be ok? The Echo manual says either 50:1 w Echo oil mix or 32:1 w/ other brand of oil? The Chraftsman says to use 40:1 and from experience it only likes the premixed 40:1 but i havent tried the stihl mix. It would be nice to just use the stihl mix!

sometimes they are absolutely necessary , my eskimo ice auger runs like crap on 50:1 but screams on the recommended 32:1

I will sometimes run a 50:1 engine on 40:1 but I don't like going the other way. The engine is designed for a certain amount of oil in the mix, more will lubricate but burn a little dirty, too much more (32:1 in a 50:1) might make the engine run very hot. Less (50:1 in a 32:1) will probably damage the engine after a while.

KaptJaq

I'm fairly new to small engines and after doing some research I still feel the need to ask-- what types of 2-cycle oil are acceptable to use in a Stihl Ms250 I am using Poulan Weed Eater 2 Cycle Oil in my Poulan weedwhacker, which has a fuel stabilizer in it. Will this work? Is there one oil I can use in both?

Yes, that will work fine.

Or you can buy more expensive oil and use it in both. No reason to have 2 separate mix cans.

Reactions: smokinj
So if I were to run stihl mix 50:1 in my saws, my 15 year old pro Echo weed whacker, and my craftsman weed whacker i should be ok? The Echo manual says either 50:1 w Echo oil mix or 32:1 w/ other brand of oil? The Chraftsman says to use 40:1 and from experience it only likes the premixed 40:1 but i havent tried the stihl mix. It would be nice to just use the stihl mix!

50:1 with modern oils in everything.

I personally run between 40 and 45:1 in all my 2 stroke equipment because my saws are ported and I don't feel like having 2 separate cans of mix.

+1 stihl ultra in everything i got.

Reactions: TreePointer

Just the 50:1 Stihl mix should work fine in all of that. Keep in mind I'm running a 35 year old Stihl 031 on 100:1 mix right now. Was originally spec'd for 32:1 I believe. (I don't have a manual for it. :() It has cut several cords of wood since being born again, ;lol, It should've locked up a long time ago. ;)

lol. funny but very true.

I run Amsoil Sabre at 80:1 w/ 89 in everything...chainsaws, blowers, trimmers, you name it. I've been doing that since 2008 and everything runs/starts like a champ.

I run either Amsoil or Opti-2 in everything I have. Opti-2 has been easier to get locally so that is what I have run for the last year or so. Chainsaw, string trimmer. ice auger, boat motor. I would never go back to mixing different ratios for different equipment. Now I always have the right one and gas never gets stale.

Reactions: albert1029
Amsoil 50:1 ,, 1 can for all ,, keep it simple,,, 20 years zero oil related problems,nuff said.:p

Reactions: MasterMech
Status
Not open for further replies.