2 Days With No Electricity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Highbeam said:
Hi goose, my Coleman lanterns are designed and labeled for use with unleaded gasoline or white gas. My coleman stove burns gasoline as well.
I never thought to travel with them upside down though. I wish they would come up with a non breakable mantle.
<SNIP>

Well my Coleman stuff all says camp gas only - I wonder when it changed. Of course all my Coleman gear is pretty ancient - I have an early Peak 1 lantern as the newest item, I don't know how old my double mantle stove is, but I think it's over 50, and I have a double burner 'suitcase' stove that is over 25-30. I also have a single burner Peak stove that seems to be a bit of an oddity, it is essentially a burner mounted on a double mantle lantern size tank.

Currently though, my prefered camping stove is an MSR multifuel stove, it has more bits to fiddle with, but seems more reliable and packs down into a much more compact package.

I also wish they'd create an unbreakable mantle - the upside down trick helps, but I still don't get more than a couple trips out of a mantle if I'm lucky. :-/

However I've been getting away from using the lantern more and more lately. Nowadays we have to camp where there's electricity as the GF has sleep apnea that requires her to use a CPAP machine, (this was first identified when I took her to a motorcycle rally and the other campers were complaining about her snoring! :bug: ) If I have to plug her in anyways, it is just as easy to use a trouble light in the tent and our LED headlamps everywhere else, and save on the bulk when loading the bike.

Gooserider

The white gas requirement for camp stoves and lanterns probably pre-dates the "smelly water" unleaded that we call gasoline these days. The lead in the old gas probably wasn't real good for the equipment or the campers.

The colemans I have are grey and labeled "dual fuel", they were extra money for sure.

I don't ride a crazy moto guzzi but I still have a sore bum from my enduro last Sunday. Then April 15th is the desert race. I am a big off road biker and this is the start of the season. Wife had to learn to start a fire.

If ya wanna know how old your coleman toys are, look on the bottom of the tank, they all will be stamped month/yr of manufacture.......

T who loves to garage sale and collects old coleman toys!! :)

I found a way to be assured we are safe in MA from losing lights....I bought GVA a generator for Christmas!!!! We are all set to lose the lights, probably won't happen for another 5 years......although, generally when we don't have much snow we get nailed the next year.....so maybe next year

Total duration: about 2.5 hours. No big deal, but it did occur while I was in the shower (well pump) and my wife was cooking dinner (microwave and electric oven). I'm quite pleased overall. This is too cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.