2 FLues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Damon

Nov 13, 2007
western Ma,
My chimney has two flues. One of the flues has recently been relined with a stainless steel liner that runs all the way to the basement for a new wood stove. The second flue is for the fireplace located on the first floor of the house and has the original tile flue in reasonably good shape. When looking through the smoke box of the fireplace, I can see the s.s. liner (for the wood stove) going to the basement. The two flues are side by side with no space/brick between them. The question I have is this-can I still burn in the fireplace even though the s.s. liner/insluation is exposed to the heat and smoke from the fire of the fireplace? (The new s.s. liner has been insulated with fire-proof insulation that is rated for unlined flues for wood stoves.)

Is there a hole in the fireplace flue or is it really just one giant flue all the way up serving two openings?

Yeah it seems like there is one chimney opening, serving two flues, one from the basement and one from the first floor fireplace.

But if you can see the basement SS liner from inside the main floor fireplace is there really two flues? Or is it just one big flue with two hookups (one main foor and one in the basement). The other thing I suggested is that there could be a hole in the flue for the main fireplace. You didn't really answer my question.

Sorry, but no, there isn't a hole in the flue. The flue that is closest to the fireplace just starts right there at the first floor with the first tile right above the smoke box. It does seem like there are two definite flues, but I have never seen them so close together and without their own chambers, so to speak, in the chimney. Originally, before there was a s.s. liner in the basement flue, there were two tile flues that were running up the chimney side by side. The basement flue needed repair, hence the s.s. liner, but the fireplace flue is in great shape. I just can't figure out why I can see the s.s. liner and the fireplace flue isn't connected somehow to the smoke box.

Maybe whoever installed the SS liner busted some of the tiles separating the two flues? Still not really understanding what you have going on. You might need a local expert to come and inspect the whole system to figure out whats going on.

We need some pictures of this thing. It is weird and impossible to visualize.

I would second the need for a local inspection, or at least some really good photos.

However, if you are seeing the liner for another flue in the fireplace flue, then you definitely have a MAJOR problem, and emphatically should NOT be burning until it is figured out and resolved. If nothing else, if you see the insulation for the basement liner in first floor flue, it is going to be impossible to clean the fireplace flue because you'd tear up the insulation.

Normally code requires a certain amount of insulating masonry between adjacent flues in the same chimney. If this isn't there, I'm not sure if you could potentially solve your problem by installing a second insulated liner to service the fireplace or not (you might also have to put an insert or stove in the fireplace, as the liner probably wouldn't have enough area to serve the fireplace)

In addition to having a good sweep check it out, I would strongly advise getting your local building code officials involved early on in the process of any repairs - both to make sure whatever was done is code compliant, and also that it is something that will meet with their approval.

Gooserider

Sounds like this is just one more example why it`s a good idea to use a Certified Sweep to do a liner install.

Status
Not open for further replies.