2 good scores in a week!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter422

Burning Hunk
Aug 24, 2014
Indiana
First my neighbor says a guy he goes to church with had 2 Ash trees cut down by the power company, and asked if I wanted it. Went and got 2 loads before the guy says hold off on any more loads my neighbor wants some too! He saw how fast I was loading up and knew I would have it gone in a few days. Told him to call me in a few weeks when the neighbor doesn't come get it! Ha! 2Nd score.. friend says can you cut a tree down for me..I'm sick of mowing over the big green balls it keeps dropping! Jackpot!!!! Why yes anything for a buddy:)

Reactions: Woody Stover
Yeah it is a big ol hedge tree!

neighbor says a guy he goes to church with had 2 Ash trees cut down by the power company, and asked if I wanted it.
Praise the Lord! :cool: And pray the other guy never shows. ==c Gotta love the Ash. We needs pics so we can see what kind of Ash it is....I'm a White-Ash kinda guy myself. ==c

Last edited:
Reactions: Scooter422
Ya ill get ya some pics cause I'm not real sure if its white or green. He said green but kinda looked like white. I was in such a rush I didn't bother to look at the leaves. I've cut white ash but this looks a little different. Heartwood is not as dark as the white ash I've cut up before.

Big green balls, walnut?

Might be worth it to sell that wood instead.
... and selling black walnut out of your yard ain't as profitable or straightforward as you might think. I've burned countless cords of the stuff.

Yep I burned black walnut last year. Dried fast, splits easy, and goes good with my harder woods. I wouldn't pass it up for firewood.

Yep I burned black walnut last year. Dried fast, splits easy, and goes good with my harder woods. I wouldn't pass it up for firewood.
And it's durable, the heartwood anyway. Last year I found some old Black Walnut tops out there that had to be over 20 yrs. old. All the sapwood gone, but the branches propped up the tops and the wood was in great shape. Still got a little of that to split and stack. Not that it needs to dry any more... ==c

Cut down a bunch of 14" diameter black walnut trees for a friend last year. They were nice and dttaight...very easy splitting. Will be burning them this year with all that black locust.

Here's the ash I got. Think its white but guy said green. It was a yard tree.

P_20150618_143607.jpg P_20150618_143235.jpg P_20150618_143228.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck splitting a yard tree. I have an ash that I know all about because I planted it 30 years before it came down. It was about 30 inches DBH when it was dropped and I have only been able to split it with wedges. It just laughs at any maul. Don't you just hate when you hit a round and the maul bounces back?

Good luck splitting a yard tree. I have an ash that I know all about because I planted it 30 years before it came down. It was about 30 inches DBH when it was dropped and I have only been able to split it with wedges. It just laughs at any maul. Don't you just hate when you hit a round and the maul bounces back?
That's what a hydraulic is for...

Yeah I use hydraulics and my x27. Well what do you guys think...White or Green Ash?

Don't you just hate when you hit a round and the maul bounces back?
I had to regrind a couple of my mauls to prevent that...

045.JPG 046.JPG 048.JPG

I've never seen Green but that looks a little different than the White I see here. How about a couple split face-close-ups....if you can split that yard bird, that is. ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.