2 Husqvarna's or 3 Stihl's????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

I have talked to a gentleman today about some chainsaws.. He has 10 of them he wants to sell. 2 Huskys and 3 Stihl. Others are Homelite, Craftsman, Etc... I am stopping to look tomorrow, so as of now, you guys know what I know. Would like an honest answer based on what you read.

The 2 Huskys are both 365's.. The one is Complete, (will start is what he said), and it has a Bar and chain. I would assume that I would buy a new bar and chain anyways. He said they had the other is a Parts Saw, Missing the Bar and chain. *** Both for $150.. **** I never asked if it was the 365 "Special", but I have read they are much better and more like a "Pro" Saw..

The 3 Stihl are 1, 038 AV, and 2, 021's... All 3 are missing the air-cleaner covers. The 038 AV (not a Super or a Mag) is Complete other than that, and started on starting fluid (again, what he said). The 021's are Like the Husky's, One is complete (Minus the air-cleaner cover) and the other is missing a bar, chain, coil, not running, etc.... *** All 3 for $200. ***

I have yet to see them. Stopping and looking at them tomorrow. I went to school to be a mechanic, and still use most of my skills. (Although I work in a Steel Mill.. Money)

They could be rough and Old, The guy may not know what he has.. And they could all be in GREAT Shape??? . But either way. I am looking for a 60-70 cc Saw. I will buy a Brand new one in the next year. But for these prices, would any of you guys jump on any of these deals??

You all know as much as I do now, just from talking to him and asking questions over the phone.. I never tried to talk him down. Sight un-seen I will offer $100 for the 2 Husky's or $150 for the 3 Stihl.. Any thoughts? Suggestions?? Questions I should ask?? Not a Stihl owner at all. Any problems I should look for on any of these Saws?? I looked on the Arborist Site and read As Much As Possible (Smokinjay has a lot of good advice over there too, Wow)..

Thanks in advance. Working 3am to 3pm tomorrow. So its nightie nite time. I live over an hour from the Mill so, 1 am will come way too soon.

Very hard call without seeing them or hearing them run....Oh, running is a good thing! :coolhmm:

My opinion, sight unseen, too much $$$$. I don't know the 365's well, but the runner would need to be decent for me to consider it. The Stihl's, only if the 038 is a runner. I'd want a look in the jugs if they've been run w o the covers. The 021's if you can make 1 good saw as well, I might go the $200.00 for the trio. Just an opinion based on the little info you have at the moment. Also note: I'm not an 021/210 fan. A C

You can buy a lot of used saw in the 2 to 4 hundred dollar range if you are patient. No need to settle for complete with a parts saw and will start.

I would keep looking. That seems kind of hi from some of the craigs list ads I have seen. Unless the saws are in very good condition and run. IF you take oyur time you can find some really nice deals out there. If parts are missing then there could a be a lto more wrong than a person may realize and then you are stuck with parts saws that might not bring much to sell or scrap if you have no other use for them.

2 Huskys or 3 Stihl's aint gonna happen...... Thanks for all the help fella's, I thought maybe the guy had something special. Some people dont know what they got. This guy didnt know he had JUNK.. The Air cleaner's and tops on the Stihls missing were a Big Key in not wanting them. The Husky's.... Well, the Husky's looked "Rough". None of the 5 will start on Regular Mix Gas.. Guy said "I can Fire a couple of them with starting fluid, but they die pretty soon". LOL. I told him no thanks, he didnt have to do that. Dont want to ruin them anymore. I wouldnt have gave $200 for the whole lot.

Like I said before, I am looking to get a 372XP or a 570 within the next year (buying new) .. Big price difference and for what I am using it for, the 570 will fit the bill. Although, if I can work a good deal with my dealer, the 372XP would be nice. There are 2 372XP's on Craiglist near me also. Both are $375 a piece.. Both seem like a good deal. 1/2 off......... Its an old posting, but he may still have one. He never deleted it.

I am getting three in pretty good shape Homelites 944,330 and EZ auto in runnable condition for $125. Friend just picked them up for me. It should be a decent deal. The 944 is 82cc with a 25" bar on it. All are runnable but I will not see them until fourth of July when they come up for a visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.