2 Id's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
Scrounger dropped some soft wood? 2 types. Sorry the pics suck...new phone soon!!

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 390
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 414
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 375
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 378
I will toss out there Silver Maple and Black Pine.

+1 on silver and the 2nd maybe beech.

Definitely think there is red maple there, and I can't argue with aspen. Those are my votes

Thats rotten wood.

Not sure how to tell you this but . . . there's no firewood there! I see some garbage. More BTUs in a box of toothpicks . . .

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
I see some garbage.

Bah - don't let perv boiler boy get ya down. It'll burn.

(Just yanking your chain ISDBTU ;-) )

I say soft Maple (red or silver dunno) on first. I don't know from softwoods, so no comment on the second.
I don't see rotten wood or garbage, just free wood. The first is past it's prime, obviously getting punky, but still intact enough to split just fine. I'd have no problem burning that. The softwood doesn't look rotted at all to me.

I'd say slightly rotten Red Maple and Aspen. I have seen Red Maple just like, that first wood, and I am burning ome now. Most of the wood is fine, just a few soft spots. The second wood sure looks like the aspen around here. I like aspen. It isn't oak, but it burns hot and starts fast.

(top 2)Looks like the dead standing swamp maple that I have lots of here.
Trees are slowly thinning themselves out.

By the time it falls on the ground it's fairly rotten.

That needs to get burnt soon if it's even still hard and worth it.
I'd keep the rain and snow off it cuz it can be like a sponge.

(bottom 2) look like some sort of poplar / aspen.
Have a few here, have never cut them down or gotten to them to cut them up for firewood before they've rotted .

I fully agree with Lee.

Thanks guys!! When I split what is id'd as red maple I thought it was gonna crumble after seeing the ends but it's surprisingly still intact.

I've come to the conclusion that my stove + red and white oak = hot house. When the temp on the pipe is around 400 the stove just pumps cray heat. I'm guessing the only way to burn efficient will be to start mixing in some lesser BTU splits to keep the pipe hot and whoa down the heat radiating off the stove.

Hareball, we also like to mix the maple with other wood because if you burn all maple that stove get pretty hot. Sometimes though, like this morning, I put in 3 small splits....and the stove is about roasting us out. I just looked and the stove top is still at 500 so we'll be cooking for a while yet.

Even though the maple looks about ready for pure punk it will be okay as long as you keep it dry and off the ground.

btw, when I cut soft maple for deer and just leave the whole tree, within 2-3 years the entire tree will be like that! One of the few that will season in whole log form or whole tree form. Leave it too long though and it is just more crap to rot in the woods.

That first picture is silver maple...I have some just like it and it looked like that when it was first cut. Make sure it's dry. It'll burn hot, but rather on the fast site...a good start-up wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.