2 liners in 1 chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello -

I'll try not to get too verbose... I have an existing gas log fireplace (that i hate) and am planning to rip it out and install either a wood burning insert or hearth stove. Our fireplace is on an outside wall in the middle of our ranch house. Our basement is finished and underneath the fireplace is a cubby.

I originally planned to duct heat from the stove and push it down to the basement for heat ( a friend does this with his Bis Ultra and works OK but not great). We don't use the basement much but would be nice to keep it warm. My first choice would be a small stove in the basement so it is super cozy when the kids are home or I'm simply hiding from the wife.

so... is it possible to put a stove in the cubby below the main level unit and run the liner up on one side of the chimney, then run the main level liner right next to it on the other side (assuming there is room)? I'd love to have a setup like this but certainly don't want to push safety and need to keep it code. I'm guessing I'll have to check with the local rule makers but just wanted to see if this is a common practice.

thanks... cold in IL

so... is it possible to put a stove in the cubby below the main level unit and run the liner up on one side of the chimney, then run the main level liner right next to it on the other side (assuming there is room)? I'd love to have a setup like this but certainly don't want to push safety and need to keep it code. I'm guessing I'll have to check with the local rule makers but just wanted to see if this is a common practice.
If there is room in the flue yes you can run 2 liners through one flue. But there is rarely room for 2 ^' liners especially if they are insulated the way they should be. Then also have deal with the problem of being able to get that liner up past the insert somehow. That will not be easy at all.

Thanks for the reply. If it were possible to get 2 liners in there I'd go with a hearth stove - prefer one over an insert anyway.

the outside of the chimney is 6 feet wide so I can't imagine there wouldn't be enough room.... especially knowing how the builder made shortcuts with other stuff I've had to deal with.

Will see how it looks when I take out the FP damper. At least I know it might be a possibility - slim as it is.

Thanks

well the outside doesnt matter what matters is the flue size

It should easily be able to be confirmed from the top.

We did some shopping this weekend and was advised against an upper/lower - side by side situation due to possible drafting problems. Would also require ripping out the fireplace and essentially rebuilding the entire chimney for two flues. A good option for the basement is a pellet or gas stove that can be vented out the back of the chimney. Going to leave the basement alone for now but I like the pellet option - an easy install and would have that burner for when it is needed.

For the main floor - I can fit a sleeve down the existing flue (10") for a hearth stove. I'm limited to 28" for a rear exit flue height and have narrowed down a list to the Woodstock Ideal... Not a huge fan of the design but it is big bang for the buck and is currently on sale for $500 off + the tax credit. Not sure I can get a better deal for a stove of that quality.

As tempted as I am to get the stove right now, I might hold off and give myself time to make the needed changes to my hearth and also collect a couple cords of dry wood. I currently have about 3/4 cord of Ash but it isn't ready yet. If I jump on it I'll still scavenge for good wood but not thrilled about possibly having to pay for wood the bulk of the winter.

either way, I think we have a good plan moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.