2 links off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SolarAndWood said:
The effective cutting length of the original bar was about an inch and a quarter longer than the new one.

Nice saw! Nice set-up that pro light is a nice bar.

Ash_403 said:
Danno77 said:
I'm confused. If you have a 20" chain that has 80 links in it and then you take out 2DLs you don't have a 20" chain anymore.

Sure you can. It can be due to the guide bar nose radius or overall bar height, powerhead drive sprocket diameter or number of drives, or a combination of both.

DL frequency is important because of nose sprocket and drive. If you have an 80DL chain then the DLs are gonna be shorter than a chain with 78.

I'm not following you here. Do you mean to say that a chain with 78 drive links is 2 drive links shorter than a chain with 80 drive links? Of course it is. The frequency is important in such that all drive links are spaced evenly to run correctly in your powerhead drive. (Technically, the drive and guide bar sprocket could care less about cutters.)

Cheers.
1st part. Yep, I'm getting that now.

2nd part. What I'm saying is that a 20" chain with 80DLs has shorter distance between the DLs than a 20" chain with 78DLs IF the actual loops are exactly the same length. This would be directly proportionate to the pitch, of course. Since we have determined that the OP's pitch is the same and the DL count is different, then we can safely say that the old chain and new chain are not of equal length. This is evident, apparently, from eyeballing the bar size differences.

Gotcha Danno77. I think I missed one of your later posts in this thread.

Cheers.

smokinjay said:
Nice saw! Nice set-up that pro light is a nice bar.

Thanks Jay. Nice to have it back in the line up. Limbing with the 71 gets old.

Status
Not open for further replies.