2 questions on cleaning up an insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills Hoard

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I screwed up on Friday night. I had the fire going and was enjoying a bourbon and coke when I dropped the drink. The drink splashed all down the front of the insert and looks like the drink has been cooking on staining the metal fascia around the door. crap! So does anyone have a suggestion on how to get backed on stains off?

this also brings me to my next question. I noticed some surface rust on the insert too. I would like to clean that up and re paint. Has anyone done this?

I can get pics tonight if that helps.

Bummer. Sorry about the loss of good bourbon. :mad:;) Wipe it down well with a damp rag and let it dry off. Coke is a solvent and hot coke is going to etch slightly so you want to get it off right away. What stove and what metal finish?

Repainting is done all the time. Use the right paint, ideally one that matches the original. Here in the states Forest Product's Stove Brite paint is commonly used. Not sure about in your neck of the woods.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
If it is a steel stove and painted, your most likely going to have to repaint to totally rid the stain. Wire wheel on a drill and repaint, will look good as new.
Best to find out what the original paint is prior to spraying with a different brand. Some are incompatible.

Try putting a little baking soda on the rag as a polish for the metal. It is basic and will counteract the acidity of the Coke.

Status
Not open for further replies.