2 Questions: Type of pellets & wall exhaust mess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaterhunter

Dec 14, 2010
Maine
Just got these pellets and was told they are Canadian Energex. Anyone have these? Are they what they say? They burn very well so I'm just wondering. Also was thinking of making a sheetmetal contraption to prevent the mess on my siding from my pellet stove exhaust. Has anyone had this happen to them? Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC00479.jpg
    DSC00479.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 521
  • DSC00478.jpg
    DSC00478.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 516
Yes it is. It exhausts 90 degrees down when coming out of the house. It's just the prevailing wind blows directly into the exhaust. Not the best placement but had no other good options. My previous house discharged on the NE corner of the house and it worked out great. This faces the South.

Then it looks like you need a (rather large) piece of sheet metal around the vent according to that picture. Definitely not the best location for a vent. Perhaps a windbreak several feet in front of the vent such as a line of evergreens

My external vent cap is a foot away from the house. Even then, I still get some soot on the siding, and some on the overhang which is about 12 feet up from the vent. I just clean it up when I am washing windows. It is on the back side of my house which faces the woods.

Bite the bullet and extend the vent about the roof line.

Heaterhunter said:
Yes it is. It exhausts 90 degrees down when coming out of the house. It's just the prevailing wind blows directly into the exhaust. Not the best placement but had no other good options. My previous house discharged on the NE corner of the house and it worked out great. This faces the South.

Again, it's hard to tell from the pic, but how far is the cap away from the siding?

About 16" away from the wall. Biting the bullet and going above the roof would mean 1st and 2nd floor windows would have a exhaust pipe obstructing the view. Can't do it.

Heaterhunter said:
About 16" away from the wall. Biting the bullet and going above the roof would mean 1st and 2nd floor windows would have a exhaust pipe obstructing the view. Can't do it.

Do you get exhaust fumes in the house?

Go 45° off the outlet and then up. I don't think there is any other solution. Even if you extend the vent outward or install a different cap, it's all going to blow right back at the house. Gotta get that stuff above the roofline so the wind can carry it away.

No, I've never gotten exhaust fumes in the house. I think it's just the soot in the exhaust that makes the residue on the house. I would love to go above the roofline but don't want to spend the money. I keep thinking a sheetmetal deflector that would block most of the soot from getting to the house. Just don't know if it will adhere to sheetmetal. What about the pellets? Are those Canadian Energex?

Heaterhunter said:
What about the pellets? Are those Canadian Energex?

That's what I have been hearing, But no actual proof.

Most of us thought that the Clean Fires(hardwood) sold by woodpellets.com(pelletsales.com) were baged by NEWP. But it looks like Hassle and Hughes is the mill actually bagging them. Or maybe NEWP is too as well?

A cleaner burning pellet could help, But they all produce soot to a degree.

that is nothing compared to my siding of my house. Need to take a picture..

Checkthisout said:
Go 45° off the outlet and then up. I don't think there is any other solution. Even if you extend the vent outward or install a different cap, it's all going to blow right back at the house. Gotta get that stuff above the roofline so the wind can carry it away.

The problem with that, looking at his pics, is that the EVL is going to be VERY high, and call for a change to 4" pipe, (unless that is 4" already).

Heaterhunter said:
No, I've never gotten exhaust fumes in the house. I think it's just the soot in the exhaust that makes the residue on the house. I would love to go above the roofline but don't want to spend the money. I keep thinking a sheetmetal deflector that would block most of the soot from getting to the house. Just don't know if it will adhere to sheetmetal. What about the pellets? Are those Canadian Energex?

Extending the vent and putting a large shield behind it would reduce the soot some. I would take a 3 x 3 piece of sheet metal and put it just behind the cap.

You're going to get particulates/soot no matter what pellets you burn or how clean you burn them because that is the nature of the fuel you are burning.

imacman said:
Checkthisout said:

The problem with that, looking at his pics, is that the EVL is going to be VERY high, and call for a change to 4" pipe, (unless that is 4" already).

I don't know what his manufacturer specs or how long the vent would ultimately have to be. He's also stated that he simply doesn't want to do it because of cost and I totally understand that.

I do know that I am really happy with my choice to spend the extra $200.00 or so to vent through the roof because of the wind situation at my house. :)

Checkthisout said:
I don't know what his manufacturer specs or how long the vent would ultimately have to be. He's also stated that he simply doesn't want to do it because of cost and I totally understand that.......

I understand the $$ issue too, and based on his 1st pic, that would be a LONG pipe.....we can only see to the bottom edge of the 1st set of windows, and the OP stated that it would go past another set after that.

Is this stove installed in the basement?

Seeing the concrete to the right of the exhaust vent I would have to say it's a basement install.

Yes the stove is in the basement. I wish I could put it on the first floor but it won't work.

I had a similar problem. My vent was a direct horizontal, 2 ft. Added a 12" horizontal pipe, terminated w/ galv elbow directed down (approx 60 deg). Siding has remained clean last 3 yrs.

ohbix said:
I had a similar problem. My vent was a direct horizontal, 2 ft. Added a 12" horizontal pipe, terminated w/ galv elbow directed down (approx 60 deg). Siding has remained clean last 3 yrs.

He is venting into the prevailing wind, which if it must be done requires a windbreak to prevent what is happening here.

Vinyl siding cleans up nice and it looks like you could reach all the soot with a step ladder.

I seriously think that's your best solution.

Looks like the stove is burning rich. I have serviced 100's of harmans and never seen one discolor siding like that.

I'd extend the vent pipe out another 18-24"... I have a horizontal vent and have zero soot problems.

krooser said:
I'd extend the vent pipe out another 18-24"... I have a horizontal vent and have zero soot problems.

I'll bet he has an up and out install and adding more horizontal will require the pipe to be 4"

You can't get away from two things.

1: There will be soot produced and some of it has to exit the vent.
2: You never vent into the prevailing wind.

I vent similar to the OP (but not into the prevailing wind) and while I have some soot on my siding it isn't because of the venting but because of using the leaf blower without an adapter.

I would once again suggest a wind break and by all means follow up on verifying you have a clean burn going as suggested by rickwa.

Thanks for all the feedback. I like Smokey's idea of planting a line of conifers :snake: I've tried pressure washing this stuff off and it's pretty resiliant. I will end up using soap/water and a scrub brush to make it go away so I'm going to attempt to prevent it with a deflector of sorts. The wind break would work but I don't really have a good situation for that either... I'm picky to say the least. After I build my deflector I'll send pics so you can see my professional sheetmetal skills %-P . Anyone burning those fireside ultra pellets?

Status
Not open for further replies.