2 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Planeweird

Sep 29, 2008
cincinnati, oh
What wood is bright yellow inside? Like an iodine yellow/orange but bright? It's not pine and I've got carpenter bees or something burrowing into it and creating a lot of yellow sawdust.

Also, along the same lines, what if anything can I use to periodically spray my stacks down with to keep the critters to a minimum?

I use a pellet form of ant/ insect killer. Not a big fan of spraying chemicals on wood I'm going to be bringing into the house and burning.

Planeweird said:
What wood is bright yellow inside? Like an iodine yellow/orange but bright? It's not pine and I've got carpenter bees or something burrowing into it and creating a lot of yellow sawdust.

Also, along the same lines, what if anything can I use to periodically spray my stacks down with to keep the critters to a minimum?

could be mulberry. does it look like this?
S5000344.jpg

no it's got a white band of wood at the outer 1 inch of the edges next to the bark and the main ceneter section is REALLY yellow. It also has a brown stripe running down the center(or the core of the log)

Sounds like Mulberry to me too. Probably what you have described, the white band, is just a slight deviation from the norm. But still mulberry. I recently took about thirty rounds from someones house (someone who didn't want it), and its predominantly yellow. Red where its been exposed.

I just split a bunch of mulberry last week for my dad and it also had some white bands. It seemed to be part of the bark, bright white like hospital white. Does not matter though it all burns great. If you leave the splits for a while the outside yellow will turn redish brown from the air. If that happens you know it is mulberry.

I had some locust that sounds like your description. Not as intense of a yellow as mulberry and the core sounds right. Locust or mulberry???Either way it's good wood.

Since you've got bugs in the wood, it appears that the wood is in the dying process and permeated with a fungus, not harmful to my knowledge. But maybe I'm not seeing the picture accurately. Fungus is a step towards punky wood. Fungus frequently discolors wood, reds, oranges, yellows, even greens, etc.

I would not consider spraying the wood pile once and certainly not on a regular basis. When the wood is dry the critters will be gone.

Pictures would help on the wood ID.

I second hedge, all of the stuff I have cut this summer that is still wet seems to be really attracting the wood bees. In a year it will be too hard for them to get into.

SlyFerret said:
It could be osage/hedge. Did the branches have thorns on them?

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.