2 sided fireplace – insert help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that's a big hole! A little fudge factor eh?

There are a couple of things you are going to have to consider. 1. The clearances required for the position of the stove (whether angled, or the back flat to the wall). 2. The hearth requirement for the positon of the stove. Having a hearth next to a doorway is a pain to deal with.
There are several stoves available with right side load only that may fit the bill if you choose to put the back towards the wall. This would keep the hearth from sticking too far out into the room, as the hearth requirements at the front are different.

Here is a few more from the roof. Do you think this box could cause a problem for the new chimney?

Attachments

• 105_1981.jpg
    105_1981.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 210
drdoct said:
Wow you're fast. You're gonna have to finish that wall (of course) but you really don't want to do that until you've picked out a stove so you can check your clearances and get advice on what you need against the wall. I'm willing to bet your little hearth pad thingie will have to come out too but I'd wait for someone who is actually knowledgeable instead of someone like me that just does stuff and lives with it later. I may be guessing wrongly but I assume you're pretty much open to anything as long as it's done right and looks good right? If you don't get some good suggestions and ideas then I'd make another post with that last picture in it saying you're looking for ideas on where to go now since your subject for the original post doesn't apply now. I will repeat again. Don't skimp and buy something just because it's cheaper. You're talking many years you will be enjoying it and you'll just be disgusted with yourself if you cheap out. But, also... most expensive hardly ever means better.

What do you recommend for the wall? I can't think of anything besides cement board the paper on drywall is combustible.

I'm offically on the market for a new stove. Considering the tax incentive and the cost of propane; I'm not afraid to spend the extra money. I want something nice that will heat 1580 sqft (burning hardwood [ash, oak, hickory etc]). I'm talking a good 20 years or more.

All suggestions are welcome. If you need additional info I'll gladly help.

Ok, I have to ask - what is that second chimney in there? Residual from some other appliance?

As to the box being a problem, as long as you maintain proper clearance from your new chimney (I assume you will be putting in a proper Class-A setup) which is usually 2" you should be fine. THe other thing I wonder about given what you said in other posts and the pictures is whether or not you have proper firestops in there (obviously not now!) that is something you will be needing to do - that other chimney may or may not be a complication for doing that right. That is one big hole you have there! I hope you don't get any rain before you get it all closed up.

BTW - I have to admire your demolition skill. You sure keep things tidy as you go along - wish the guys who did my addition were as good.

gasavage said:
Wow, that's a big hole! A little fudge factor eh?

There are a couple of things you are going to have to consider. 1. The clearances required for the position of the stove (whether angled, or the back flat to the wall). 2. The hearth requirement for the positon of the stove. Having a hearth next to a doorway is a pain to deal with.
There are several stoves available with right side load only that may fit the bill if you choose to put the back towards the wall. This would keep the hearth from sticking too far out into the room, as the hearth requirements at the front are different.

What about the cutout in the hearth where the insert was? Should I line this with brick or stone? Or pour concrete into it?

I would like to find something that doesn't require me to build out the hearth (if possible). I just finished laying all that hardwood last July. I'd hate to rip some of it. But, I will if I have no other options.

Slow1 said:
Ok, I have to ask - what is that second chimney in there? Residual from some other appliance?

As to the box being a problem, as long as you maintain proper clearance from your new chimney (I assume you will be putting in a proper Class-A setup) which is usually 2" you should be fine. THe other thing I wonder about given what you said in other posts and the pictures is whether or not you have proper firestops in there (obviously not now!) that is something you will be needing to do - that other chimney may or may not be a complication for doing that right. That is one big hole you have there! I hope you don't get any rain before you get it all closed up.

BTW - I have to admire your demolition skill. You sure keep things tidy as you go along - wish the guys who did my addition were as good.

My wife follows right behind me with a shopvac :)

As soon as my cordless drill battery is charged, I'm sealing the top off with a piece of osb and tar paper. Other than that, I'm done until I choose what stove to buy.

I would like to find something that doesn't require me to build out the hearth (if possible). I just finished laying all that hardwood last July. I'd hate to rip some of it. But, I will if I have no other options.

I can't guess the dimensions of what you have there, but you may need something on the order of 4x4' or more once it is all said and done. It REALLY varys depending on the stove. How far out from the walls are you willing to put the stove? My guess is you would rather hug that wall as much as possible to keep out of the way of the doorway if nothing else. As someone else pointed out, if you get a front-loading stove you will likely need something that sticks out more.

As to ripping any wood out - most likely I would simply pull out the old hearth, then level out the old hole to match the elevation of the nice wood floor. Then I would build my new hearth pad on top of that and the nice wood without removing any of the new hardwood flooring - just be sure to build it larger than the old hole and nobody will be the wiser since you don't ever plan on moving it out again. Most modern stoves don't have huge hearth pad requirements - a few do of course. This, of course, is why I think you are at the point of needing to pick your stove out.

Once again; all input is greatly appreciated. Without all of you, I would have probably gotten an insert and I probably would not be very happy with it. You guys know your stuff. Hopefully in a few years I can be right alongside you helping out new members with their projects.

Since the title of this thread has nothing to do with my project, I’m going to create a new one here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/41320/

I will use this new thread for the remainder of my project.

Status
Not open for further replies.