2 split load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
2 nice large pcs for overnight burn load.

Attachments

• SAM_5077.jpg
    SAM_5077.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 675
yooperdave said:
sometimes referred to as "baby-makers" around here. (you don't have to get out of bed to re-load the stove...)

Thats a good one. :lol:

Hogwildz said:

Nice, what type of wood are they?

Zap

zapny said:
Hogwildz said:

Nice, what type of wood are they?

Zap

Ya know, I am not eve sure. The one on left has a redish blood vein looking resin/sap in it. The one on right i think is maple.

Jimbob said:
Did they burn all night?
Sure did. The one thing I will say with big splits like this, is after the initial volatile burn off, I have to open the air a tad as there is just not the same amount of air as there would be with a full load of smaller splits.
The larger surface area of the wood splits tends to need a lil extra air. Usually run fully closed, with these I will slide maybe 1/4" to 1/2" open from closed.
Above 25F, I'll get 12 to 14+ hrs and still have enough coals to get a new load going. Basically loading 2x a day. Over 35 to 40 I'll load each night and that is it. At 50's, I ain't burning. Might be closing her down in the next week or so.
Seems this year(year 5) I have really cut usage down. I used to load religiously 3 full loads a day. Now I can get away with 2 on some days if in the upper 20's to 30+

Status
Not open for further replies.