2 standing dead blow downs updated w/pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

If it does, than I didn't hear it. A standing dead I was waiting to fall came down via mother nature and the 45mph winds from her nostrils. 1 of 2 for tomorrow if the winds cease.

2012-02-25163618.gif

2 of 2:

2012-02-25163651.gif

Looks like some kind of Hickory maybe. I hope some of it is still good; Looks pretty far gone.

If a tree falls on you and no one's around, you might be up a creek. :gulp:

I agree that the tree looks like some kind of hickory - mockernut? Also, the tree certainly looks like it has a lot of rot - I hope you find a lot of solid wood up the trunk. Cheers!

Looks like those really needed to come down. Mother Nature sooner or later will do it if you let her.

Many a beer have been thrown down by the tipsy pundits, the answer is still in the bottom of the cooler.

zap

Tree toward the base had some punk, but it is mostly solid as you continue. Just more wood for the pile. Will post pics and results tomorrow. I may need id. Be well

That one looks a little "punky", I think I'd leave it for the critters to live in? LOL

Hey get 'er hacked up backwoods, and bring the punky stuff to my place. That stuff burns great in my maple evaporator!!

I was able to use 3/4's of the larger of the 2 trees

2012-02-26110015.jpg

Splits were light as a feather, moisture readings low. We bucked about 10 nice size rounds from this tree.

2012-02-26105917.jpg

Not sure the id. I'm thinking oak by the bark:

2012-02-26110059.jpg

2012-02-26110114.jpg

Toss 'em right in the stove, they're good to go !

Pat53 said:
Toss 'em right in the stove, they're good to go !

Even though some were damp from sitting on the ground for a day, I did through some in today and it went up like the rest of my seasoned stuff. Fiberous gasoline.

I would of thought that first tree would be to rotted? Good early and late season wood.

As for that last closeup you think was oak, its hickory.

X2 on the hickory. Watch those hickory coals on reloads, they will throw some serious sparks once you start pushing the coal bed around. A couple weeks ago I tried to get a video of the spark show but it didn't turn out well. You would have thought I had a dozen sparklers in the stove.

clemsonfor said:
I would of thought that first tree would be to rotted? Good early and late season wood.

As for that last closeup you think was oak, its hickory.

The picture definitely makes the tree look all punky but as I went about 4 feet up, it was solid. Maybe a round or two had alittle bit of rot, but most did not. Hickory huh.... Sounds good to me.

trailrated said:
X2 on the hickory. Watch those hickory coals on reloads, they will throw some serious sparks once you start pushing the coal bed around. A couple weeks ago I tried to get a video of the spark show but it didn't turn out well. You would have thought I had a dozen sparklers in the stove.

No chit... I have had that happen already trying to rake the coalbed. Thats something to watch out for, those sparks have some speed behind them. I actually just noticed a few burn marks on my slippers. Can never be too careful.

Looks like Bitternut Hickory,its not near as 'shaggy' as either Shagbark or Shellbark.

Attachments

• bitternut 2.jpg
    bitternut 2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 275
Status
Not open for further replies.