2 Storage Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chutes

Sep 8, 2008
CT
Hello all. My first post, but I've been lurking here for a week, learning a lot. Great forum.

This will be my first winter burning indoors. I haven't yet had my delivery of wood, but have a couple of local guys I've used before for my outdoor pits who tell me they have plenty of seasoned wood.

When it is delivered, I actually have 2 options for storage. I have a 8x10 foot shed that my boys use for a clubhouse - but it is empty of their stuff come winter, and I also have an attached garage that I don't park in during the winter. Is either one a better option than the other? The shed can be ventilated, as there are 2 windows I could leave cracked. The garage has no windows, so to ventilate I'd have to open the garage doors (not sure if ventilation is necessary?). Both are pretty free of termites, by my estimation.

Welcome.

If the wood is already split, realize that it may not actually be seasoned even though the delivery guy says it is. Most consider seasoned wood to have 20% or less moisture content. A cheap moisture meter (~15 bucks from Harbor Freight) can tell you.

After it has been split, most wood takes a minimum of 6 months to season . . . 9-12 months is usually better. I've seen birch season in 3 months and many would probably claim that green ash is the same. Oak, hard maple, and their ilk often take over a year to season properly.

I agree with sawdust, you'll want ventilation. Also consider how easy it will be to go out and get the wood.

Do a search on wood storage, this topic has been addressed quite a bit here.

Good luck.

Thanks for the responses. Think I'll use the shed and just keep a couple days supply at a time in the garage.

Yeah, Vic. I hear on the seasoned wood comment. I know that many suppliers are going to say their wood is seasoned, even if it might not be. I do take that with a grain of salt. In fact, one of my suppliers bought me 2 cords for outside burning that he says were seasoned. Funny how they boiled and sizzled and popped when I threw them in the pit. I can test a couple of logs outside before exposing my new stove to green wood.

I have a large hearth that can hold a 2-3 day supply. In addition, I have a pallet setup in the garage where I hold another 3-7 days. So once per week I haul a few wheel barrows into the garage, fill the hearth upstairs and fill the garage holding pen. Works pretty well. This year i think I am going to increase the garage storage to double so I can go 2 weeks in between hauling wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.